pixeltracker

Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?

Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?

hunhunhaha
#1Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 1:01am

I think Wicked!!

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#2re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 2:11am

Equus. re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 2:27am

Though I'm quite certain "hunhunhaha" may go by many names on these boards I will say that I've lately been thinking about how Randy would do in Bare. Wicked only gave a taste of his vocal abilities. I'm wondering if he's holding out on us.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#3re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 2:37am

Take Me Out.

Ahahaha.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

nitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
#4re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 5:33am

I don't care to see that douche bag in anything.

"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere

dididda Profile Photo
dididda
#5re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 9:48am

queer as folk: the musical.
oh my.

""the gays love their presents. just wave something shiny in front of their faces, you can get whatever you want. Thats how we got manhattan from the gay indians" -Karen (W&G)"

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#6re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 10:41am

I'm witcha nitsua!

Every time I saw his crumpled pouty face on QUEER AS STEREOTYPICAL FOLK I prayed for a gay bashing.

Who knows? Maybe he's better on stage.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

broadwaytourist
#7re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 11:38am

Obviously, he's good enough to be cast by noted directors with noted companies. I'll cheerlead for him even though I've never seen him on stage. What I do know is that he has been cast in plays at great regional theatres (Guthrie, Bershires - multiple occasions), has trained well (bachelor's degree and with Siti doing Shakespeare), is consistently employed, and is operating his own arts program. As I'm sure not everyone in the business wants to be judged by only one project, I'm sure he does not want QAF to be his only calling card. QAF got him a fan base (sometimes too kooky for words - I hope this missive does not place me with the kooky group), but something aspiring actors can certainly use to their advantage.

Having said that, I would have loved to have seen the Guthrie production of The Glass Menagerie, and I wish him continued success.

abg

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#8re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 11:42am

Borstal-- I couldn't agree more. QAF (U.S.) was one of the worst shows ever to last more than a few episodes... The U.K. version was just OK (mainly due to its novelty, esp here in the U.S.) but the Showtime version was so over the top, with unbelievable & wildly inconsistent characters and some seriously amateur writing.

Seriously painful at times...

As far as the cast, I didn't like most of them (Randy H. included), but I think most of that was the hysterical scripts and hyper direction.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#9re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 11:58am

"Obviously, he's good enough to be cast by noted directors with noted companies."

No, no hon. Never understimate theater companies star-f**kerism. Why, I just went to a seminar with a casting director with a major on and off broadway theater company and she basically said its all about the star. She said, "I have to be honest with you, its the star's game. If Gretchen Mol says she wants to do a show with us, its our job to make a list of roles that she would be right for." Yes. Gretchen Mol. This is practically verbatim. She also said that whenever they do a show, they have to put out offers in Los Angeles for, as she put it, "Cameron Diaz and Rachel McAdams and all these other people who will never say yes." Producers...even regional and off broadway producers want A Name. Hence Randy Harrison's success in the theatre. Who else would have him?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Shakespearean Profile Photo
Shakespearean
#10re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 12:48pm

Actually, I saw him in the Berkshire production of Equus and he really surprised me. He handled the material well, and delivered a very credible performance. I wasn't a QAF fan so can't really speak to his work on the show, but stunt casting is often a cause for concern. In this case, the kid did a very nice job and I'd go see him again. In fact, I'd like to see how he does in Edward II if I can get tickets.

Ed_Mottershead
#11re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 12:57pm

Speaking of which, has anyone heard anything about Edward II yet? It's a play I've never seen. When Ian McKellan did his one-man show in 1995, he named Edward II as the first gay play in the English language. It's great in the reading. And what part is Randy going to play? Not Gaveston, I hope. That would be totally wrong for this particular play, IMO.

BroadwayEd

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#12re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 1:21pm

Theatremania.com was cool to it:
Edward II

HoshiForever Profile Photo
HoshiForever
#13re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 1:35pm

I don't want to see him in anything. I just...ew. Even if he is better on stage...I can't even look at him.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#14re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 1:37pm

What did he do to you, Hoshi?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

broadwaytourist
#15re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 1:55pm

OK, Nitsua and borstalboy, and jbbran - what plays have you seen him in and what was wrong with his performance? Have you been in a play at the Guthrie or in the Berkshires? Do you know the casting company or directors? Do you know whether all casting agents work like your seminar person indicates? If the Guthrie and Berkshires regularly hire only "stars" that have a name only and no talent, how did they get their good reputations? What do you have to say about the generally good reviews that Harrison garners? I don't know - I'm just saying . . .

abg

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#16re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 1:56pm

He does have a BFA from CCM. That's no fluke.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#17re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 2:17pm

Eh. Joan Collins graduated from RADA. I don't really give a damn about someone's alma mater. I have seen dreadful actors from the *bow your head* Julliard and Yale drama schools.

Jesus, Tourist, chill out. He's not your son. If you were capable of reading carefully you could see that I wrote, "maybe he's better on stage". I'd give the mushy faced mumbler some slack only some friends who saw WICKED said he sucked the big one and not in a good way. He could be the next Frank Langella, for all I know, but I somehow doubt it.

But what I said about casting directors is 100% the truth, Ruth.

Updated On: 12/17/07 at 02:17 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#18re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 5:58pm

He was awful in Wicked, Glinda looked like a butch truck driver beside him, really...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#19re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 8:12pm

broadwaytourist: NOTHING you're rambling about has to do with ANYTHING I said... I said he was bad on an even worse show, but that the cast's badness was probably more the fault of the scripts and direction.

What did I say exactly set you off like that?

broadwaytourist
#20re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 8:54pm

I guess I'm nothing but a sad, pathetic person who has nothing better to do than defend someone I've never met from others I've never met for reasons I can't identify. I do not act. I have no talent, and I am too old to even care anymore. That's why I am just a tourist. But I admire others that can and do act, and I admire folks who follow their dream. Even if they are not attractive to others or whether they've been on what some feel is sucky tv. I think it's really something to put yourself out there for what you love to do. I wish every one out there trying to make a living in theatre the best of luck.

yellibean2
#21re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 9:18pm

Well, as someone who, for a change, actually enjoys his work (I know, how shocking, just stone me to death now), I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him in more shows. Yes, I loved him on Queer as Folk, and as much as he probably dreads it, I will always associate him with Justin. But regardless, I find him to be a fantastic actor who is truly versatile. Not to mention, he is a theatre actor first and foremost and QaF and a small role in another movie on Showtime are really the only TV work he's done.

I seriously can't understand why all this hate for him.

nitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
#22re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 10:31pm

I'll hold my tongue to why I don't like him.

"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#23re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/17/07 at 11:01pm

To Borstalboy:

In defense of my workplace, the Berkshire Theatre Festival, we DO NOT hire actors because of their "star" name. Please don't generalize all theatre companies under your opinion of how we cast. Yes, many places will try to get the names and it does sell tickets. However, we do not base our seasons on star names. That is not how we get our reputation. We are an ensemble company, which means no one's name gets billed over anyone else's. If one actor's name is listed, all other actors names are listed right beside there's. Artistic Director, Kate Maguire, is extremely firm in this belief. No one is more important than the other. Everyone has to audition, no exceptions. Even Linda Hamilton of the Terminator movies fame, had to fly in from Malibu to audtion for us. The reason why Randy Harrison has performed at BTF on multiple occasions is because his work ethic and quality is of superb professionalism. We are a company that focuses on an actor's development, and with each production, he has consistantly grown artistically. Why wouldn't we want him to come back?

Please don't brush off a regional theatre just because you think we are trying to load up our shows with stars. That is not the case. These actors want to work at BTF because of our repuation for focusing on the work and not the names. Your comment was an insult.

Randy Harrison is a talented actor. He strives for excellence and leaves it all on the stage. Please don't brush him off just because of his time on QAF. He deserves much more credit as a legit actor.

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City
Updated On: 12/17/07 at 11:01 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#24re: Which production you wanna see Randy Harrison in?
Posted: 12/18/07 at 2:14am

I think Randy is a great stage actor, but it's silly to think he'd be cast in anything outside of NY or LA to boost box office sales. No one outside of QAF fandom would even know who he was.

Videos