Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#1Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 12:30pm

So, I'm here watching Friday's (January eighteen) LIVE with Regis & Kelly and Kelly asks him if he'd ever do Broadway? After going on about how after DANCING WITH THE STARS he now has this great appreciation for dance he just can't sing at all -- just one thing he's never be able to conquer.

Then he mentions that the previous night he saw A CHORUS LINE and watched the show thru different eyes. Kelly then asks "...and you're going to go into A CHORUS LINE?", to which he adds that hopefully if things are worked out like scheduling, etc.

There you have it -- Mario Lopez could be joining the cast of A CHORUS LINE. In an ensemble character.

This'll be the first time in Broadway history that an ensemble part earns more than the 2 leads: Cassie and Zach. Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#2re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 12:39pm

hmmmmm . . . . singing aside, I can't imagine him being able to tackle the dancing successfully. Dancing With The Stars is one thing, but A Chorus Line? I hope that he doesn't consider it, even if it's offered to him.

". . . POP . . ."

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 1:34pm

No thanks.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Over the Moon Profile Photo
Over the Moon
#3re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 1:44pm

I love him but i don't think it'll work

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#4re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 1:48pm

I'd assume he'll be playing Zach, no?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

#5re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 1:49pm

well, he'll sure look pretty tryin!

BrodyFosse123
#6re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 1:51pm

From a quick comment he made, it looks like he would like to play Mike. The quick comment was regarding the number "I Can Do That", He's too young for Zach.

george95
#7re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 1:52pm

remember that song the band on Saved by the Bell sang? Friends forever, friends forever.....man that was the song.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#8re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 1:52pm

I actually think he could work as Zach, though they may keep Zach offstage to keep the teenagers away from him. :)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#9re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 1:58pm

he's not too young to play zach. robert lupone was 29 when he originated the role of zach on broadway in 1975.

why would they even bother bringing him in though if it's to play zach

Magical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72 Profile Photo
Magical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72
#10re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 2:08pm

oh god no

Join me on journey that is the development of my first musical! Twitter/Insta @gimpymusical FB: Gimpy The Musical email @gimpymusical@gmail.com for more info!

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#11re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 2:16pm

From what I've heard (on this board =D), Baayork Lee is ridiculously faithful to the original Bennett choreography. If Mario Lopez isn't up to it, there's no way they'll let him in the show.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#12re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 2:34pm

I think Mario would be a great addition to the show.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#13re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 2:42pm

I would love to see this. I think Mr. Lopez works very hard at everything he does, and he would do a good job in this show.

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#14re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 2:48pm

He'd play Paul.

Show Off
#15re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:06pm

I saw it too... but I thought he said it was something he would like to do, not that he was already going for it?

neddyfrank2
#16re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:09pm

Paul

LifeofTheParty2 Profile Photo
LifeofTheParty2
#17re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:13pm

Hmmm...it's not the worst idea I've ever heard.

Mattbrain
#18re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:18pm

I could see that. I don't know how he'd be but I could see him in the show.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

BrodyFosse123
#19re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:19pm

No, no... I had it Tivo-ed and played it back about 5 times just to make sure what I was hearing and so I wouldn't misquote him.

His response of: hopefully if things are worked-out and scheduling -- is word-for-word out of his mouth.

This clearly states that all parties are interested but he is just hoping that the logistics are worked-out so he can do it, which he definitely wants to.

He also mentioned that he's been approached in the past to do other shows, but never considered it because he says he can't sing. He now would love to try it.

We'll see where this goes because unlike his tenure with DANCING WITH THE STARS (where he was able to work on other projects simutaneously), he'll have to put quite a bit on hold while he remains in NY for the duration of his run in the show.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#20re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 6:02pm

There is an audition specifically for Zach so the role is available. It is possible that they are looking for some possibilites in case Mario falls through, or maybe he is up for another part. Honestly I could see him being cast in a few of the roles in the show.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

Trish2
#21re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 7:19pm

I personally don't see "Star" casting in this show. Never has been, never will be. It's not what the show is about.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#22re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 8:12pm

personally don't see "Star" casting in this show. Never has been, never will be. It's not what the show is about.

I agree. The only "star" of the show should remain Michael Bennett.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#23re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 9:30pm

As much as Mario Lopez is pleasing to the eye, he would be wrong for "A Chorus Line". Maybe, with rigorous training, he could do the dancing aspect of his role... but the singing?... eh. I mean, what will they think of next, putting Melanie Griffith in a musical like "Chicago"? Uh oh.... from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

mauriposa
#24re: Mario Lopez in A CHORUS LINE?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 9:33pm

He can't play Zack. He's A.C. Slater!

/bad joke