henryt
#1Anastasia
Posted: 1/20/08 at 11:07pm

Updated On: 3/7/08 at 11:07 PM

ByTheSea920 Profile Photo
ByTheSea920
#2re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/20/08 at 11:10pm

I can imagine Anastasia working really well on stage! And the music is beautiful! Once Upon A December and Journey To The Past are fantastic!
I'd love to see Anastasia make it to Broadway! And it might not be as well-known as say, Disney movies, but I think it would still stand a chance at drawing a good audience in! Especially if they had an amazing cast!

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#2re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/20/08 at 11:11pm

If a musical film HAS to be adapted to the stage, so as to appeal to everyone, I believe Anastasia is the one. It has a good score, and as you said, it could easily be expanded upon. I think it would translate very well to the stage.

However, am I crazy about the idea? Yes, and no. I would love to see this on-stage, but how much original material is going to be on-stage now? So many adaptations, but not a whole lot of somewhat original projects.

I'd also like to see Flaherty and Ahrens work on some new projects too. They are one of the better songwriting teams that Broadway now has to offer.

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"
Updated On: 1/20/08 at 11:11 PM

henryt
#3re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/20/08 at 11:12pm

Updated On: 3/7/08 at 11:12 PM

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#4re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/20/08 at 11:17pm

In the Dark of the Night is great! It always cheers me up!

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#5re: Anastasia

The problem with the movie is how historically incorrect it is.

If done correctly, it could be terrific.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

ByTheSea920 Profile Photo
ByTheSea920
#6re: Anastasia

Ahhh, I just love the soundtrack from this movie! Every song is brilliant! re: Anastasia

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#7re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 12:58am

I would go see it.

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#8re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 1:11am

The problem with the movie is how historically incorrect it is.

Really?
What is your problem with it? The talking bats? The ghost of Rasputin? The realistic use of magic? The fact that everyone is animated? The fact that people just break out into song?
So, if they fixed all that... you would be cool with it?

Jesus saves. I spend.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#9re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 8:54am

Well from a business standpoint Dreamworks who made Shrek is owned by univesal.

Universal produces Wicked which is a hit.

I am sure that Fox will realize that they can have a steak in the world of Broadway but they might think of it as too much of a risk.

I love this movie and I can easilly see it being done on the Broadway stage. Maybe Hank Azaria could reprise his role of Bartok for the stage version.

It is known that the movie is VERY historically wrong. I don't think it would be smart to have Rasputin being played out as he was in real life. He was known in real life to have a fair amount of threesoms ect. That is clearly not family friendly.

If It were up to me, for some reason I can see Patrick Paige doing Rasputin and Anne Hathaway as Anastasia.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Trekkie2
#10re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 9:14am

I wish this would just happen already so that these threads will stop coming up.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

ohjustjake
#11re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 9:32am

I agree, Anastasia would work very well on Broadway. Watching the movie is like a musical made into a cartoon. Evertime I watch it I imaging what I would do with it if I was a director. It would have such amazing sets. The ending might need to be changed (what with the bridge collapsing and everything) but the movie in itself is wonderful.

It doesn't bother me at all that it's historically incorect. If people wanted to know the real story, then they can research it.

emmadny Profile Photo
emmadny
#12re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 10:09am

No, please¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
Most Disney copies NO¡¡¡

I like Disney broadway version but I don't like anothers studios like Dreamworks or Fox, copy Disney

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#13re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 10:12am

I frankly don't see a problem with the historical inaccuracies. I mean, there was no man-turned-into-beast living in a small french chateau? However, because anastasia is based on a story that has recently been proven false, producers may take issue. I think it's fine, but, unfortunately, I'm not the producer.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#14re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 10:37am

I have been saying this for so long! I think despite politically incorrectness, it was popular and was nominated for an Academy Award. That and PRINCE OF EGYPT would both make good musicals AND are believed to be Disney.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

MiniMenzel08
#15re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 10:47am

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
That would be awesome!!!!!

CouldaWouldaShoulda Profile Photo
CouldaWouldaShoulda
#16re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 10:56am

Anastasia is so brilliant. I hope they put it on Broadway. It would work so well. The choreography in the film could be put on the stage intact and it would still look amazing.

"A well-rounded performer will listen to all kinds of music. I like classical, Middle Eastern, and rock a lot." -- Patti LuPone

Mattbrain
#17re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 10:59am

I am all for this. I loved the movie when I was a kid. If it does happen, they should add in how Rasputin helped treat Alexi's hemophilia.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Mattbrain
#17re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 10:59am

I am all for this. I loved the movie when I was a kid. If it does happen, they should add in how Rasputin helped treat Alexi's hemophilia.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

SporkGoddess
#19re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 12:25pm

Anastasia is one of my favorite movies ever, and it's funny because I'm such a stickler for historical inaccuracy. I think that, aside from the obvious, most of the historical inaccuracies are pretty nitpicky (such as the Catherine Palace not having been abandoned).

I love the idea of this as a stage show, but I think that you'd have to extend Dimitri's singing part. In the movie, I find it really awkward when he sings. re: Anastasia

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

theactorsociety Profile Photo
theactorsociety
#20re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 12:28pm

I have always thought that Anastasia is perfect for Broadway. And what a show to reunite Sutton Foster and Gavin Creel!

#21re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 12:35pm

I feel like such a teenage girl, but I would LOVE to see Anastasia on broadway.

Casting suggestions? theactorsociety is right, Sutton would be great as Anya (but then again, what wouldn't she be great in?).

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#22re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 1:20pm

"No, please¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
Most Disney copies NO¡¡¡"

Well, if we have more TARZAN's, then I wouldn't want more Disney shows.

Ashley Brown for Anya!

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

emmadny Profile Photo
emmadny
#23re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 1:23pm

BRAVE, I think the shame, not more Tarzan`s, please

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#24re: Anastasia
Posted: 1/21/08 at 2:13pm

Emmany,

So, so long as it is Disney making a family friendly musical your fine with that. But, if its another company then you got issues?

I think that this will work GREAT onstage. For some reason one point in the show I can picture a good Dimitri song is when Anya leaves to go to her grandmother's for good. I think that Brown wouldn't do it for the token fact that this ain't disney. This would be a fox theatricals show and she would be stabbing her work with Disney in the back if she took this job.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll