pixeltracker

"What's your favorite show?" -- what answer would be the biggest turnoff?- Page 3

"What's your favorite show?" -- what answer would be the biggest turnoff?

thereisnofuture Profile Photo
thereisnofuture
#50Thanks
Posted: 1/22/08 at 9:34pm

High School Musical,Grease.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#51Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/22/08 at 11:10pm

There are several choices that would make me think 2x but the all time deal breaker would be All Shook Up.

And really: NO straight men like musical theater? Please. Lots do. (well, maybe not LOTS.)

And...to those kicking each other about this thread: give the original poster a break: it's conversation not life.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#52Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/22/08 at 11:13pm

Rent
Wicked
High School Music
all that generic stuff

The White Half-Mask Profile Photo
The White Half-Mask
#53Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/22/08 at 11:45pm

Not to sound snobby or jump on the bandwagon, but "High School Musical" would probably be a turn-off for me. "Rent" or "Wicked" might also do it, depending on the person's attitude. If they were like, "OMG! Rent iz da best eva!!!1!" I'd back away. If they liked it, but did not think it was the Second Coming of Jesus, that'd be fine.

Also, just as an aside, I'm a straight guy that likes musical theatre.
Updated On: 1/22/08 at 11:45 PM

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#54Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 12:04am

HSM, Grease

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#55Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 12:14am

I hope I didn't insinuate that I don't think ANY straight men love musical theatre. I'm sure some are out there. I know there are some on this board. But as someone who has been in theatre since I was about 12, I personally have never met one. For straight guys, I just dazzle them with my knowledge about the 86' Celtics.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.
Updated On: 1/23/08 at 12:14 AM

george95
#56Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 12:46am

I think it would be cool if my date said "Hairspray" or "Cats" or another show I intensely dislike, because, even though we all love Broadway, it is just ART, and we can't take it that seriously. So it would be something fun to joke and tease about...because i'm sure my date wouldn't like my favorite shows either. But what if we also had different musical tastes, etc? I think that's the spice of life : )

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#57Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 12:48am

Anything that's popular.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Fat Actor Profile Photo
Fat Actor
#58Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 1:00am

If I am ever on a date and the girl tells me her favorite musical is High School Musical the first thing I would do is check her ID to make sure she is 18.

"Who do ya gotta F#%k to get a break in this town?!!!"-Max, The Producers.

RockabyeHamlet
#59Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 1:34am

Phantom...

Only because I have heard that alot, and it just makes me cringe now.

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#60Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 1:48am

I wear my Wicked t-shirt out all the time. I think it's pretty cool, plus I figured it'd be a good conversation piece. I get weird looks, and this discussion board explains why.

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#61Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 2:28am

If anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber is mentioned, I start tuning out.

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#62Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 4:52am

As a straight man who likes musicals (yes, another one!) I generally try to keep it quiet. I wouldn't ask the question and if someone asked me, I would in all probability feign ignorance. It's not the greatest pick up line.

broadwayjim42
#63Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 7:41am

Cats...or La Cage Aux Folles...

I've already given a couple of people the stinkeye over Cats.:)

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#64Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 9:34am

AVENUE Q *shivers*

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#65Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 11:04am

Really? you people would honestly not date someone because of their taste in a MUSICAL?

I met this really great guy once- Sense of Humor, Nice on the eyes, but not full of himself, Generous, and Polite....... but he liked Strawberry Jam. I'm more of a Grape person, myself. So I told him to get a life and never call me again. then I had to relieve some stress, so I went to a Matinee of the Phantom of the Opera, and followed that up with an evening viewing of Wicked.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

truman
#66Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 2:14pm

Wicked or Rent. Ugh.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#67Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 3:39pm

I'm not sure I wouldn't date them... But there would be a long discussion about theatre. Especially since it's pretty much my stress reliever ~ and the two shows I mentioned create stress for me.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#68Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 4:13pm

Another straight guy here...

I'm not into Wicked or High School Musical, but I understand the reasons why they are relevant and satisfying to their fans. They are also immensely popular and serve as a "gateway" to future musicals, so neither is a deal breaker for me.

But if a girl told me she just loved My Fair Lady, I'd start scanning the room for alternatives to take home. There's nothing trendy about MFL, so for a person to select it as her favorite, it means she's seen plenty of shows and somehow decided that this boring, 3-hours-too-long, moth-infested snoozefest is the best thing out there. Given that conclusion, I just reckon that we wouldn't see eye to eye on much else.

If she were otherwise gorgeous, witty, and charming, I could look past it. But if we were on the bubble already, I'd just have to let her go.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#69Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/23/08 at 11:08pm

Spring Time For Hitler??
no but i'm definitely going to go with HSM yuck.
And rent would be a turn on because then we'd automatically have a ton to talk about.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

westcoast_wannabe Profile Photo
westcoast_wannabe
#70Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/24/08 at 4:37am

Nothing is a deal breaker. I once had a guy tell me on a first date that he loves Opera and that The Phantom Of The Opera was the best Opera he'd ever seen. He was nice and cute though so I let it go. Things ultimately didn't work out, but I wasn't going to just write him off because he loved Phantom... and considered it classical Opera.

Muhlethaler
#71Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/24/08 at 5:18am

Updated On: 8/31/11 at 05:18 AM

george95
#72Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/24/08 at 8:21am

Phantom is not opera at all, classical or not.

knicknut
#73Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/24/08 at 8:33am

I find it surprising how many people find "enjoying what's popular" to be a turnoff (e.g. Rent, Wicked, Phantom). I would think/hope that if you actually met someone in real life who you liked but they told you a cliche, popular show, you'd think "that's great that this person has an interest in theater, maybe I can expose them to deeper, less mainstream stuff." Not "eww, what a mainstream conformist with cliche tastes. What a tool."

OurTime, I like your post best so far. Very balanced and acknowledging of the fact that not everyone has seen every musical.

amalou Profile Photo
amalou
#74Deal Breaker Show?
Posted: 1/24/08 at 3:22pm

I can see how liking the big musicals would be a turn off. It might suggest a person just goes with the flow and likes whatever seems most popular. But if they actually like the show for what it is, no matter what that show is, I can't see holding that against them.

So I think it depends on the person's attitude toward it. Besides, it sounds very shallow to say you'd completely write someone off just because they're favorite musical is Wicked. It's like Broadway shows are on the same level as fashion. Liking the "wrong show" is like wearing the wrong clothes. I think Broadway and theater in general is too good to be put on that same level.

"But I can tell you that Raoul, who was so handsome in "The Phantom," is now a drunken wreck."