neddyfrank2
#75SUNDAY... Post Your Thoughts & Opinions
Posted: 1/26/08 at 6:39pm

Well, ya, that show did suck.

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#76SUNDAY... Post Your Thoughts & Opinions
Posted: 1/26/08 at 7:43pm

I saw this in the UK in the summer of 2005 and thought it was brilliant. Its curious that people are saying Act II was stronger. I felt the complete opposite when I saw it.

Either way I went into the show hating the score and came out loving it. I guess it was one of the shows you need to see live to appreciate.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

areyoukiddingme
#77re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/26/08 at 7:59pm

It's not that it's the "same" George, but they need to be related. And these two Georges felt like they were from different planets. I've never directed the play and it would take some more thought -- but something is definitely off here. The second act is the most incomprehensible I've ever seen for a production of SITPWG and it's because of his characterization.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#79re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/26/08 at 8:06pm

They have 4 different shirts, a hat, a mug, magnet, libretto, vocal score, vocal selections, cast recording.

Probably more too. That's all I noticed.
Updated On: 1/26/08 at 08:06 PM

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#80re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/26/08 at 8:20pm

Does anyone have the London Cast Revival Recording...would love to hear it...my itunes is broken for some reason so I can not get it there...

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

COOOOLkid
#81re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/26/08 at 9:40pm

It's commercially available. Go buy it on Amazon.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Yankeefan007
#82re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/26/08 at 10:52pm

I imagine that he'll be signing more librettos/vocal books once they see how in demand they are (if at all). And if they are high in demand, I'd expect the prices to go up, as well. Wouldn't surprise me if people bought more than one, so they could sell any extras on ebay, also.

I do say I enjoy what the merchandise team at Roundabout's been doing this season...they sold McNally-autographed RITZ scripts, as well.

RockabyeHamlet
#83re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/26/08 at 11:20pm

I saw the show today. It was one of the most brillant productions I have ever seen. The projections were phenomenal and the cast exceeded my expectations. I am working on my formal review for one of my classes, and will post it when it is complete.

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#84re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/27/08 at 1:41am

According to ATC, someone in the audience had a heart attack during tonight's preview. Also some woman vomited.

justabwaybaby Profile Photo
justabwaybaby
#85re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/27/08 at 2:02am

^Erm, well, that wasn't during the matinee, thank goodness.

I saw the show today and absolutely loved it. I think everyone else here pretty much covered it. The cast is fantastic, and the projections were amazing. The opening was absolutely breathtaking. I starting crying (softly) during "Lesson #8" and continued until the end of the show.

My friends, on the other hand, didn't seem to be as affected as I was. It got to the point that I really didn't want to be sitting near them. Two of them couldn't sit still throughout the first act, and spent a lot of time rummaging through their purses. My friend's girlfriend turned to another friend at intermission and said, rather loudly, "Forget the score, I love the set!" We got evil looks throughout intermission and as we left the theatre.

Sorry to rant... It was a fantastic show, and I absolutely loved it! I can't wait to see it again...

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#86re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/27/08 at 2:23am

How was the rear mezz?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

justabwaybaby Profile Photo
justabwaybaby
#87re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/27/08 at 2:28am

Oh! I didn't think it was bad at all. Everything was perfectly visible. We actually talked to one of the actors about it for a bit, and he thought that mezzanine was probably better than the orchestra for this show.

walkedthroughmany Profile Photo
walkedthroughmany
#88re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/27/08 at 5:00am

"According to ATC, someone in the audience had a heart attack during tonight's preview. Also some woman vomited."

They carried someone from the right rear mezzanine out during the first act, apparently there was an ambulance outside. Everyone was whispering loudly and a lot of ushers were up there. It was very distracting, but as no one knew what was happening, there was a lot of impatient "SHHH!"-ing going on.

And I had no idea someone vomited until they starting mopping during intermission. They were very discreet about it. And this was only about three rows ahead of me.

AJ1985 Profile Photo
AJ1985
#89re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/27/08 at 5:12am

Enchanted Hunter - We'd all love to hear your opinion, but only AFTER you have actually seen the show. Of course, if you only posted about shows you had actually seen, you would not be able to spew your arrogantly snide remarks. But you are quite right - we don't really have to pay attention.

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#90re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/27/08 at 11:01am

Hopefully, they'll do the signed librettos and scores for BC/EFA so I'll be able to get a treasured keepsake and do some good at the same time. Can't wait to see this production.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

musicalfan07 Profile Photo
musicalfan07
#91re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/27/08 at 11:31am

Does Roundabout ever sell their merchandise online (ie. the shirts, keyrings?) If they do, do they ship to the UK?
Thanks.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#92re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/27/08 at 1:18pm

According to ATC, someone in the audience had a heart attack during tonight's preview. Also some woman vomited.

I didn't know someone had a heart attack, but we saw the ambulance outside. The woman who vomited was in the row across from me and my friend.

I was excited to see the show, but not sure what to expect, or if I would really like it. I ended up loving it. The whole cast is fantastic. Daniel Evans was perfect as George. I really enjoyed the score. For the most part I liked the projections, the only thing that bothered me, as small as it was, were the dogs. I thought it looked kind of stupid with the two blank squares being moved around and then the dogs showing up. I loved the main projections thought, thought they worked really well.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

jacco
#93re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/28/08 at 5:32pm

Having seen it in London (and LOVING it...), I'm just so glad this one seems to work in New York...

Have fun people...I'm jealous as HELL....

heatherr
#94re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/28/08 at 5:42pm

I was wondering, for those familiar with Studio 54, would the view from the end of row C be okay? Thanks!

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#95re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/28/08 at 6:21pm

I sat NN on the aisle (seat 102) which is the very last row. Great seat, didn't miss a thing...I think the actors might be right that the mezz might be better for this show.

spidey_882 Profile Photo
spidey_882
#96re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/28/08 at 6:24pm

I'm glad that you posted because I think I'm in the same aisle and I was kind of worried that I wouldn't be able to see!

*counting the days...*

Now, mother always said that whenever you hear a strange, frightening, and potentially life-threatening ghostly chant coming from the dark woods that there's one thing that you should do: Not wake the others and go investigate it alone...

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#97re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/28/08 at 8:07pm

MusicalFan, Marquee Merchandise handles the Roundabout shows. I don't think they have any Sunday in the Park stuff listed on their website, but maybe if you email them they can let you know if they plan to put it up soon or maybe they'll let you "special order" it.
Marquee Merchandise

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#98re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/28/08 at 8:09pm

Glad to hear the rear Mezz. seats are good, I'm thinking about ordering tickets in row JJ. But I was worried because I really want to make sure I can see/hear everything perfectly!

Does anyone know if they have restocked up on the signed librettos/scores?
Updated On: 1/28/08 at 08:09 PM

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#99re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/28/08 at 10:54pm

Taken from a previous thread:

Just got back from sunday evening performance. I was blown away. This is a long review post, but i didn't want to start another thread and if you're interested in seeing the show, I really want to let you know how I felt.

I, like many of the people that have posted their thoughts thus far, preferred the second act to the first in this production. I also found this production to be, in certain ways, superior to the original production (which I've only seen from the video taken for PBS.)

The good:
1. The set and lighting design. The projections are startlingly beautiful, clever, functional, and wonderful all at the same time, and the lighting is spectacular. I went in worrying that the projections would bring a modern, mechanical sensibility, and the actors engaging with the projections would also add a very inorganic feel, but fortunatley, this is not so, and the projections bring a new sense of life to the play - they are very organic and feel spontaneous. Neither upstages the other and the projections, costumes, lighting, and acting work together as a cohesive whole. Moments like "Move On", "Sunday", "Finishing the Hat", "The Day Off", "Putting it Together", and the opening number where all the elements combine to make a perfect whole are breathtakingly gorgeous. Huge props to Timothy Bird, David Farley, and Ken Billington.
2. The performances, namely that of Russell and Evans. What sets this production apart from the original and in ways, improves upon it, is the heart and warmth of the performances and staging. Evans is a far more vulnerable George than Patinkin, and is more appealing to watch. He still captures the George's intensity, but allows us in during his big moments. "Finishing the Hat" was marvelous. Russell is hilarious, boasts a terrific belt voice, and also displays real warmth and heart in her performance. As Marie, she is spectacular. "Children and Art" is one of the highlights of the show. She stopped the show with the title song, and made me weep with "Move On." Other highlights include Jessica Molaskey (what a voice), Michael Cumpsty, Mary Beth Peil (very affecting rendition of "Beautiful"), Santino Fontana, Anne L. Nathan (VERY funny), and Ed Dixon.
3. The direction. Buntrock makes Act II work more in this production because he focuses on the relationships of the characters, and on their stories. In the original production, Act II comes across as a rant for the authors' frustrations on being an artist, but here, we see everything come full circle. Act II does not feel like a seperate one act musical, but a continuation of what was left unfinished in Act I. When George comes full circle with Dot at the end, we see a man and a woman finally connecting in their relationship, a man reconnecting with his family, and an artist finally realizing that art is personal - we do art to connect, and by connecting, not really gaining the approval of others, but rather to know we are alive. The problem with this approach, i think, is that Act I needs to move quicker, because many great moments between Evans and Russell get milked and then everyone else has to try and keep up the energy while maintaining period style in their acting, difficult dialects, and of course, a difficult score. Act I did drag a couple of times tonight ("The Day Off", most of the Celeste bits)but hopefully that can be fixed by opening.

The bad:
1. Sound. As of right now, the admittedly wimpy sounding five piece orchestra (if a 16 piece orchestra is affordable and can fit in studio 54 for 110 in the shade, i don't see why it isnt/can't here) is overpowering some of the singing. And when such a small orchestra is overpowering some big ol' voices, there's clearly an issue. With the dialects some actors have, it makes it even more diffficult to hear what's going on. Also, there was a bit of static here and there. Hopefully this will be ironed out by opening.
2. I wasn't impressed by the Celestes. They made little impression and in their bits I found myself checking my watch.
3. and my biggest complaint: Alexander Gemingani is VERY miscast (not his fault) and completely unintelligble in both acts (his fault). I did not understand a single word out of his mouth in the first act, but I did catch about twenty or so in the second. yes, he is working with a thick dialect, but he was practically mumbling and needs to dictate more in both acts. As for being miscast, he is highly unimposing as the Boatman, and his vocal solos are too low for him (also difficult to hear). He makes a bit more of an impression as Dennis, but not enough to save him. Fortunatley, he's not in enough of the show to do too much damage.

Conclusion: Aside from the minor complaints above, this is a MUST-SEE production. One of the most emotional and inspiring evenings in the theater I've had in the past two years, and the best revival of a Sondheim musical in the past ten. What sets it apart is the warmth, heart, and focus on relationship. It allows the show to transcend it's high-minded roots and reputation, and functions as a highly moving narrative, just as much as, but no less than, a commentary on the frustrations of being an artist.

Grade: A

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#100re: SUNDAY... -01.25.08: Post Your Thoughts & Opinions Here
Posted: 1/28/08 at 11:04pm

I saw this yesterday and loved every single minute of it. Daniel Evans and Jenna Russel deserve every bit of praise that they're getting -- two amazing performances.

I want to go back and see it again asap!