News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Should I see Gypsy?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#1Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 8:44pm

To start off,

I am not the biggest Patti fan. Honestly I can take her or leave her as a performer. If you wanna flame me for this go ahead but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That being said is Gypsy as a work of musical theatre something worth seeing? I never saw it when it played four years ago at the shubert in case anyone is wondering.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#2re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 8:47pm

Its a fantastic show and should be seen (i cant comment on this production though as i haven't seen it on the stage).

I also feel the same about Lupone so dont worry your not alone

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#2re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 8:48pm

Definitely worth seeing. IMO, it's one of the greatest musicals I've had the pleasure of seeing.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#3re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 8:57pm

GYPSY is among the top 5 best musicals ever written, if not the top. See it, despite your misgivings about La LuPone.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
Updated On: 3/5/08 at 08:57 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#4re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:00pm

definitely see it. it is an incredible show.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#5re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:02pm

GYPSY is without a doubt a brilliant musical, and this production is worth seeing. Even if you LuPone doesn't thrill you, Gaines, Benanti, and Larkin are phenomenal.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#6re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:02pm

Winston, i can't stand Patti, but in saying that if i had the chance to see a full production i would jump at the chance no matter who was in it.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#7re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:07pm

Yes, and have a wonderful time!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#8re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:09pm

winston, I also have never been the biggest Patti fan, but after hearing all the raves about this production here on this board, we snatched up some tickets for our next trip to NYC in May. I have never seen a production of Gypsy on Broadway, so I feel that we really can't miss this opportunity. Who knows when it will be back?

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#9re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:11pm

I am accident prone, so i will best stay out of the S.T. James Theater

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#10re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:29pm

Absolutely go see it! This is one of my personal favourite musicals and is definitely worth seeing for any musical theatre fans! Patti is amazing and even if you don't like her the supporting cast is not to be missed!

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#11re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:29pm

Yes you should see it if at all possible.

If you are someone who appreciates musical theatre, Gypsy is a must-see and what better way to see it than on Broadway with one of the strongest casts possible? Even if you don't have a strong desire to see Patti, there's no denying that she's extraordinary as Rose. Furthermore, the other principle and supporting cast members are essentially ideal.

I hope you go and I hope you love it.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#12re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:32pm

If youre gay & a theater fanatic... its a MUST-SEE or else youre neither!

(of course.. I am just kiddin')

GO SEE IT!

J*

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#13re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:34pm

I'm straight and I'm telling you to see it!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#14re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:35pm

It is on TDF as we speak.

Poster Emeritus

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#15re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:40pm

Are they still using that dumb lamb puppet or did they opt for a real lamb?

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

#16re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:42pm

*nothing* could keep me away!!!!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#17re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:47pm

Together, Wherever We Go!

J*
Updated On: 3/6/08 at 09:47 PM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#18re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/6/08 at 6:29am

GYPSY is a great, great musical. Fast moving book, sharp characterizations, brilliant lyrics perfectly matched to Jule Styne's melodious music. All of that would guarantee a fantastic evening in the theatre. Whether you like Patti or not, she is perfectly matched for this role. (Not everyone could take Ethel Merman's "belting" style of singing, but anyone who saw her as Rose declares it was an unforgettable performance.) If you have never seen GYPSY on stage you owe it to yourself to see this production.

And when you do, let us know what you thought of it.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#19re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/6/08 at 7:13am

Definitely see it!! The supporting cast is fabulous and Patti is pure perfection.

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#20re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/6/08 at 7:22am

NO, this production looks cheap and is the weakest of all the revivals I have seen on Broadway.
Go to a LuPone concert instead.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#21re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/6/08 at 7:32am

^^^ I was very suprised to hear that you did not like GYPSY!? well I will see it on 3/22...

J*

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#22re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/6/08 at 7:35am

I'm going again tonight....

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

Yankeefan007
#23re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/6/08 at 7:52am

Gypsy is tied (in my opinion) with Guys and Dolls as the finest musical ever written.

You can have the worst cast imaginable and it would still be worthwhile to see.

That said, having seen in 3 times in the past 5 years (1ce with LuPone, 1ce with Peters, and 1ce with Moore), this production isn't on the immediate top of my list. But if you've never seen it, run.

Rotel1026
#24re: Should I see Gypsy?
Posted: 3/6/08 at 8:06am

Why does a regular to this board who's a fan of theater even have to ask this question?

If you've never seen it, the answer if pretty simple, go see it!

Videos