pixeltracker

Any bad stage-door experiences?- Page 2

Any bad stage-door experiences?

MaronaDavies
#25re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 2:30pm

To be fair with Yul Brynner, he had cancer for a while. From what his son said in his biography, he was in quite a bit of pain, was very proud, and sometimes waited for everyone to leave because he didn't want anyone to see him being carried out to his car. If he pushed past everyone to get out of there, it might very well have been because he couldn't stay on his feet any longer. A friend of mine went backstage at "The King and I" when he was a kid and said that Yul was extremely nice, even though he was ill.

And back to the whole sentiment that actors don't *have* to sign, and their demeanor at the stage door doesn't necessarily say anything about them as a person. Some people are awkward when meeting strangers. Some people really do have to catch the last train. Some people might be like Yul--feeling really sick and just wanting to get home. And some people are dolls at the stage door but horrid to their colleagues. And so on. Although, if they really don't want to sign, it's probably better to duck out another exit than to go through the stage door, refuse to sign and disappoint people.

Updated On: 3/16/08 at 02:30 PM

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#26re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 2:38pm

I met Idina after her Virgin concert and she was the sweetest thing ever!

Idinster87
#27re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 2:39pm

OP- I agree, I think it might have been a bad day. When I went to see Wicked in NYC- and I flew out there just to see her- I was expecting her to be a diva at the stage door based on stories. But she turned out to be really nice (shy, of course). I also have heard that London was just a chaotic zoo.

I think it's interesting that sometimes those who have acquired star/diva status are the least diva-ish at all, and those who are just up-and-coming can be the real divas. Bernadette Peters was the sweetest (and shortest) doll. But this past Rent tour, I met the guy who played Mark at the stage door. Some of the direction of the show seemed different to me, and I asked him if they had changed/updated it. He and his friends started laughing at me and told me that nothing had changed since 1996, and that I had obviously just seen the movie. I have been a fan of Rent since it first came out on Broadway, and I have also seen the show many times (both NYC and touring productions). I also referenced Rent Remixed to him and he "assured" me that it did not exist, and that I "should really go listen to the original cast recording, not the movie's". He and his friends continued to laugh as I walked away.

Hmm. I've had the OBCR since it was first released. I don't even own the movie cast's recording.

broadwaycat3113 Profile Photo
broadwaycat3113
#28re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 2:43pm

sherie rene scott was as nasty as could be at the little mermaid stage-door. didn't acknowledge anyone and just walked away. meanwhile, sierra stayed to sign and take pictures with everyone.

"Put Your Faith In What You Most Believe In...."

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#29re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 2:56pm

Stephen Spinella at Angels in America: Millenium Approaches was a right jerk. Funny how experiences like that stay with you...everytime I see him in a movie or a tv show, I just roll my eyes. Everyone else was great.

Other than Rupert Graves being a bit brusque at Closer (which made me sad cuz I've always had a mad crush on him), everyone I have met at the stage-door has been great. My favorites will always be Maggie Smith at Talking Heads in London and Raul Julia at La Mancha in DC.

Flaunt It
#30re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 2:59pm

2 words.. JERRY LEWIS

Make that 3... DICK!

Idinster87
#31re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 3:12pm

Broadwaycat- I'm not surprised about Sierra. She seems like she'd be a sweetheart. However, I'm pretty shocked with these Sherie stories! I really had no idea. Is this typical of her? I was hoping to meet her at the SD in a couple of weeks...now I'm not so sure.

dramagirl487
#32re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 3:15pm

Tamyra Gray, the first time i met her at the RENT stagedoor was so rude. I admit, it was the second day of the adam/anthony craze, but she lost her marker and took mine and i didn't mind until adam pascal (who i'm a HUGE fan of, in fact the reason i got to see RENT) came by, and I called to tamyra "Could I please have my marker back?" and she glared at me and yelled "CALM DOWN, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO, I'M SIGNING WITH IT. JUST WAIT". Luckily I got it back just as Adam got there, but i was shocked she snapped back so rudely.

on the other hand i saw her in september and she was very nice to me. she was a bit sarcastic to some of the weirder fans lingering around though. and when she entered the theater before the show she stepped on my mom's foot.

lol very talented performer though

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#33re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 3:18pm

Idina Menzel punched me in the kidney once, and Kristen Chenoweth called my mom a whore.

broadwaycat3113 Profile Photo
broadwaycat3113
#34re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 3:27pm

Idinster87-i've been to the little mermaid stagedoor 3 times and her attitude hasn't changed. but i've heard other stories of her being semi-nice to people and signing autographs. i guess it depends on what day you catch her. sierra boggess and norm lewis are worth it though. two of the nicest people ever! they make sherie look disgraceful.

"Put Your Faith In What You Most Believe In...."

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#35re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 3:50pm

I saw Little Mermaid on Valentines Day and everyone was very nice. Sheri seemed a bit...out of it...but she signed and posed for pictures and was very nice. Sierra left through a different door though and didn't sign at all, but I hear she is very nice. Everyone else stopped and signed.

ByTheSea920 Profile Photo
ByTheSea920
#36re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 3:52pm

Hm, I don't think I've ever had a bad experience at the stage door. Everyone I've met has always been very sweet!

I did once meet a certain actor at a stagedoor who was a little bit rude, but I could tell he was very tired and was making a sincere effort to be gracious, so i won't say who it was because i would feel bad damaging his reputation like that. I'm sure it was just an off-day. :)

Some of the stories on here are pretty shocking though! :O I'm a bit surprised to hear about Sherie Rene Scott's behavior.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#37re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 3:55pm

Wayne Wilcox ("Rent" film/"Coram Boy"), when he was with "Light In The Piazza" in Chicago, was a real ****head!

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#38re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:01pm

"In 2005 after Spamalot in Chicago, I met Tim Curry in a freezing cold blizzard.I asked him to sign a Rocky Horror DVD booklet. He went to sign it and because of the snow he yelled "THE PEN WON'T SIGN" Then my mom quickly handled him a new marker and he signed it, then walked right away. He was a bitchy attitude. Maybe because of the snow."

no probably because of asking him to sign something from another show long ago...and since so many people only think of him as his Rocky Horror role, rather than his body of work, can't say I blame him

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#39re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:09pm

Brian D'Arcy James was kind of snappish at Next to Normal. The girl next to me was saying, "Oh, my God, I'm so happy to meet you. I'm such a big fan." He didn't say anything back. He agreed to take a picture, but when the camera started freaking out he just walked away.

Alice Ripley was a total sweetheart, though.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#40re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:12pm

really? After the matinee yesterday he seemed very gracious with everyone. Outside, he signed a bunch of stuff. He seemed like he was in a little bit of a hurry.

theater junkie
#41re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:20pm

I saw Sherie aftehr TLM and I had heard stories about her being less than friendly at the sd, but she was nice, signed for everyone. I wouldn't say she was the most friendly person and it was the third day of previews, but I was thrilled to meet her. I don't have a problem with actors just signing and not chatting or even not coming out at all, unless it is stunt casted. But to be rude and say something like yeah I never heard that before I feel is unacceptable.

Yankeefan007
#42re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:28pm

I love it when the random no-name Broadway actors are rude. "Famous" people I can understand. But when Random Nobody Who Managed to Get a Lead is rude...that's what I find hilarious.

it'sjustshowbiz Profile Photo
it'sjustshowbiz
#43re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:37pm

Sierra has bolted out of the stage door with security and gone straight into a car several times. While she has every right to, I felt bad for the little girls who were waiting because it wasn't announced that she left.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#44re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:52pm

"I'm a big fan of your movies!" and Molly says "Haven't heard that one before..." and puts her purse in front of her face and then takes off to a parked car and that was that.

That Molly one shocked me. I was at Rocky Horror waiting for my ride to pick me up when these two guys from the original Brazil cast of ReNt were waiting for Daphne Rubin-Vega. They try to say hi, and she says" Really, don't have time for you people. Go away." They threw the Rent program at her (didn't hit her, she was way gone.)

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#45re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:54pm

Constantine Maroulis was the only one. I complimented on his performance, he glared at me and looked angry to be out there. Yet he was really nice to all of the kids talking to him about American Idol.

I don't think it's right to not like an actor based on their stagedoor attitude. Opinions of them as a person are totally valid and acceptable, but to let those get in the way of your views of them in a show as an actor is another thing.

jwonjy119 Profile Photo
jwonjy119
#46re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:56pm

It wasn't any of the actors, but there was this one day at the stage door for Jersey Boys in SF where there was some "gathering" for some of looney fans, and they were just beyond rude. They were interrupting other people's conversations including mine and asked waaaay too many personal questions when they were like "Oh, I could never ask them that." and blah blah blah.

Just needed to let that out. ;D

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#47re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:59pm

Most of the time I'm more annoyed by other people at the stagedoor. I've had many experiences similar to jwonjy's, specifically at the Spring Awakening stagedoor. Honestly, respect the performers. Don't interrupt other conversations. And don't, for the love of god, ask someone to sign your boob or butt or any other body part. It's awkward and disrespectful.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#48re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 7:27pm

Constantine Maroulis was the only one. I complimented on his performance, he glared at me and looked angry to be out there. Yet he was really nice to all of the kids talking to him about American Idol.

I forgot him. He was a jerk.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

BroadwayPhan
#49re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 7:57pm

Was at the stage door following Next to Normal's final performance. We waited awhile (to be expected, given it was the last day), but for the most part when all the actors came out, they were all very nice - chatted and signed. Even the creative team (Tom Kitt, Brian Yorkey, and Michael Greif) were kind and took the time to sign and thank us for our support.

One small disappointment though, Jenn Damiano unfortunately went out the side fire stairwell. Perhaps she was in a rush to be somewhere, but I kind of wish she came out to sign so we could have the complete cast's autographs. Bizarre, the 2 or 3 times I've stage-doored at Spring Awakening in the past when Jenn was in the cast, I never got her autograph, as she always seemed to bolt right out the door in a hurry.