News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

How About Funny Girl with...

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 3:44pm

Sutton Foster? I know she's not everyone's favorite but I just listened to her doing "I'm the Greatest Star" and she has the comic timing. I'd also love to see her take on a more dramatic role. Yes, Kritzer would be ideal but Foster seems a more realistic choice. Here's hoping Encores! does this show after Damn Yankees!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#2re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 3:45pm

This show is a bore without Barbra. Barbra in her prime, that is.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#2re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 3:46pm

FUNNY GIRL WITH EYEDINA!

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#3re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 3:47pm

so is it even being rumored or are you just doing your "dream" casting?

Sutton is a pretty amazing performer but I just don't think I would believe it, from her. not Jewish enough.. for me at least.

Gothampc
#4re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 3:48pm

The problem with Sutton is that she just doesn't look the part. Sutton is too "china doll" pretty. Fanny Brice really needs to be played by an "ugly duckling".

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#4re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 3:48pm

Purely dream casting. I doubt a reival will happen soon...

I think its a strong show either way.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#6re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 3:52pm

If it's ever done...

It's Kritzer's.

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

puppetman2
#7re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 4:28pm

Saw a production with Carol Lawrence as Fanny and it just did not work, she was too beautiful. It has to be a not too attractive person.

It Sucks To Be Me

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#8re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 6:03pm

Sutton Foster is about as shiksa as you can get. Her playing a character described as "a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls" is pretty ridiculous.

If the show was ever to come back, Leslie Kritzer or Nicole Parker (of MADtv and MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME) would be my prime candidates for Fanny.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#9re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 6:08pm

I'm firmly planted in the Stephanie J Block for Fanny camp

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#10re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 6:09pm

LESLIE KRITZER.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#11re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 6:35pm

Before touting a FUNNY GIRL revival, go back and read the script.

It is not a strong script at all. The changes made for the movie improved it considerably. (Unfortunately this resulted in changes to the songs as well.)

It would need considerable revision as well as a powerhouse performer who can deliver 8 times a week. Sadly, there is no one around today up to that challenge.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#12re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 6:50pm

I would be happy with an Encores! mounting, the songs are just so fantastic, IMO. And while I respect Bobby's opinion, I am gonna go with somethingwicked's comment, Sutton is hardly "a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls."
As I've said before, I've heard nothing but raves about Kritzer's performance at Papermill, I would love to see her perform this role. I think Block is as interesting as watching paint dry, and Shoshana what's-her-name doesn't have the acting chops for the role.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Dollypop
#13re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 6:54pm

Sutton is so un-Jewish. It would be like that version I saw on the Music Fair circuit which starred Barbara Cook and George Hamilton. We were calling it "Funny Goy".

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#14re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 6:56pm

Frontrow is right. The book has major problems.

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#15re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 8:36pm

I'd like to see Stephanie J. Block try it.

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#16re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 9:20pm

Was there ever a group of Funny Girl fans known as the "Fanny Pack"?

Because I just thought about that, and it would be a cool name for a fan group.

In all honesty, I've never seen Funny Girl (I know) and apologize for my ignorance.

haddaddy3 Profile Photo
haddaddy3
#17re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 9:32pm

Is Kristin Chenoweth too old?

You look absolutely terrific, honestly.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#18re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 10:01pm

Ana Gasteyer

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#19re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 10:06pm

I would LOVE to see Sutton in that role, shiksa or no.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#20re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 10:06pm

I love the Fanny Pack name for a Funny Girl fan group!

^ that's a great tongue- twister

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#21re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 10:16pm

Sutton is about as exciting as white bread; Leslie has no star charisma.

Funny Girl has a great score and a weak book. Without a major JEWISH star forget it.

I say go with Steven Brinberg.

Or maybe Jason Gould. . .

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

Parks
#22re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 10:16pm

Ana Gasteyer was brilliant in the concert, I thought. Does Fanny have to be a certain age? Ana looks a little old... but she'd be amazing in the role!

Also, I love Stephanie and like the video I've seen of her.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#23re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 10:20pm

Ana did the role in Pittsburgh a few years back. Ana is too old. Fanny starts the show at 19 and ends somewhere early 30's. It's best if you cast an actress in her mid to late 20's. Possibly early 30's if she looks young enough.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

#24re: How About Funny Girl with...
Posted: 4/24/08 at 10:25pm

Stephanie J. Block, hands down for me.

Videos