New Birdie Buzz

The Insider
#1New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 4/30/08 at 11:19pm

There's a Roundabout buzz on
David Hyde Pierce and Bebe Neuwirth as Albert and Rosie for the upcoming Birdie.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#2re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 4/30/08 at 11:28pm

Isn't Bebe too old?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#2re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 4/30/08 at 11:30pm

In actuality yes, she is a bit old, but it all depends on how young of a person she can be convincing as.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 4/30/08 at 11:30pm

They BOTH seem a bit old for the roles. But I think it can definitely work. I've always wondered how Bebe would be as Rosie. Though her lack of Spanish-ness will definitely not make some people happy on here.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#4re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 4/30/08 at 11:31pm

I just saw Bebe in concert about a month ago. The woman looks incredible, and I was in the third row. I would totally buy her as Rosie.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#5re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 4/30/08 at 11:31pm

I would lyke heart Eydenna Menzel as the Rosie chick and lyk totes Eden 4 that Kimm ladyyyy.

Idina Menzel.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#6re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 12:33am

David Hyde Pierce would be INCREDIBLY adorable and perfect as Albert. I would totally buy it.
I don't know why Bebe Neuwirth gets to play all these roles that have a sort of Latina-ness to them: Lola, Aurora/Spider Woman... now Rosie? I mean, she's fabulous, yes, but how great would it be to have an actual Spanish Rose in the role? Oh well, I do love me some Bebe, though lately I feel she has become a bit mannered.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#7re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 1:12am

2 words:

Andrea Burns,
Bebe is too old and too non-ethnic.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#9re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 3:22am

Well, if they are going for David Hyde Pierce and Bebe Neuwirth, I assume they are going for big names. As talented as Andrea Burns is, she is no name. Actually, sadly enough I can't think of a Latina actress with the triple-threat skills to match Neuwirth's that is a solidified star. Unfortunately, this will keep being the case as long as the minimal number of Latina/o characters in musicals keep being monopolized by non-Latin performers.
How great would it have been to see a young post-CHORUS LINE play Rosie.
How about Rosie Perez? Doubt that she can dance to save her life, but she would be a riot.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 5:29am

And I'm pretty sure we don't want to hear her sing, either.

In some ways, I think an older Albert/Rosie could definitely work: that REALLY makes him a mama's boy and would totally magnify Rose's frustration.

Could be fun...I'd try to catch it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Yankeefan007
#11re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 7:58am

Opposite David Hyde Pierce, Bebe is not too old. The problem is, as Curtain pointed out, she's too non-ethnic. Rosie is Hispanic.

But I've heard from a few places that Pierce will be in one of the MTC shows, so who's to say?

figaroindy
#12re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 8:13am

Ummm, seriously people - Albert is supposed to be older - after all, he's built this business after he was going to become an English Teacher. And Bebe's in great shape. Read the script, Rosie's only "Spanish-ness" is her name - Alvarez. She makes a crack about that, because she was born in "Allentown, PA."

"Spanish Rose" is a joke about her trying to BE Spanish in order to "live up" to Albert's mother's comments.

MethodActor
#13re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 8:19am

Yeah, I've always taken her as a relatively "american-ized" non-ethnic character.

TOGETHER I think the pair could work.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#14re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 8:22am

The role of Rosie was written for Chita Rivera.

It was specifically written to be played by a Latina actress.

The inclusion of the song "Spanish Rose" was because Rosie was supposed to be played by a Latina.

David Hyde Pierce is enough of a name. Besides, it's a non-profit production. It's not like it's going to be a long, open-ended run. One name is enough to sell the show.

And honestly, outside of Broadway, Bebe is a nobody (yes, people know her from CHEERS, but they couldn't put her real name with her face to save their lives).

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#15re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 9:12am

I believe the lyric is "All right, Rose, I'll BE Spanish!"

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#16re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 9:35am

Uh Rosie Perez was a choreographer for the Fly Girls on In Living Color, I am pretty sure she can dance ray.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#17re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 9:40am

Bebe is a 2 time Tony winner and 2 time Emmy winner. I'm sure more people would recognize her her than a no name like Andrea Burns (no offense to her).

I think they can make her look Spanish enough. Hell she can pass for Spanish a hell of a lot better than Karen Ziemba.

I think there's a SPANISH ROSE substitute song for non-spanish Roses. I'm pretty sure Ann Reinking used it even though she did perform SPANISH ROSE for a while.

Anyway I doubt they would cut SPANISH ROSE, and they shouldn't. Lets just hope they add the movie (remake) songs including the title song medley (also from the movie).
Updated On: 5/1/08 at 09:40 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#18re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 9:44am

Andrea Burns ALL. THE. WAY.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#19re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 9:44am

Making her Broadway debut as Rosie will be Jennifer Lopez. I'd buy a ticket.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#20re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 9:55am

Actually, the line of dialogue PJ is quoting is actually, 'Alright, Mae, I'll be Spanish.'

And I vote Lopez.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Trekkie2
#21re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 10:01am

Shall we start to guess which SA kids will play Kim/Hugo? Just saying...

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#22re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 10:02am

I would LOVE to see Jennifer Lopez do it.

Who will direct this?

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#23re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 10:03am

Hopefully NOT Kathleen Marshall. Dear God.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#24re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 10:04am

I'm not very familiar with this show. So is it that Rose really is spanish, or that everyone thinks she is?

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#25re: New Birdie Buzz
Posted: 5/1/08 at 10:08am

I was just thinking that, Foster.

How about Casey Nicholaw?

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing