"The Who's Tommy" in Hollywood

MeMeMeee
#1"The Who's Tommy" in Hollywood
Posted: 5/12/08 at 10:47am

This production sounds AMAZING! I have been so close to being cast in "Tommy" (MY FAVORITE SHOW) so many times (down to the final 3 girls on three separate occasions (Broadway, European tour and Brazil productions) but just never got cast. So disappointing as this is my favorite show EVER! I hope I get to do it before I die! Anyway, I would love to hear from anyone that sees this production!

Flicker House Productions will present a brand new take on the Broadway musical The Who's Tommy for a two-week run at the Ricardo Montalbán Theatre in Hollywood beginning June 18, starring original cast member Alice Ripley, Wicked's Jenna Leigh Green, Nona Hendryx and Aleks Pevec as Tommy.

The Who's Tommy will introduce high definition 3-D Sound, presented by EXP3D, a new audio system that does for sound what 3-D and its lenses does for motion pictures. The sound will inhabit a fully dimensional space, inside and outside each guest’s body.

"Each guest will have a headset to wear, the equivalent of movie 3-D glasses for this production," according to press notes. "Unlike conventional headphone experience, where the soundscape is a straight line between the wearer’s ears, EXP3D sound gives the listener a fully dimensional room of sound with height, width, and depth."

Directed by Brian Michael Purcell, The Who's Tommy will feature music direction by Dan Redfeld, choreography by Denise Leitner and sound design by James Johnson. The production also stars Tom Schmid as Captain Walker and Hank Adams as Uncle Ernie.

BroadwayWorld's James Sims has been following the creative team and cast throughout the process of creating this revolutionary production of The Who's Tommy, and will feature a series of webisodes leading up to the June 18 opening. The first episode is titled "the concept."

The Who's Tommy will run through June 29 at the Ricardo Montalbán Theatre, located at 1615 Vine Street in Hollywood. Tickets are priced at $75 for orchestra seats and $50 for the balcony, and can be purchased by calling 323-230-9819 or online at www.tix.com. For more information, visit www.thewhostommy.com.

Updated On: 5/12/08 at 10:47 AM

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#2re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/12/08 at 12:26pm

I saw Alice play Mrs. Walker in Pittsburgh and she was fantastic. Her "Smash the Mirror" was intense.

I'm guessing Jenna Leigh Green is playing Sally Simpson?

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#2re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/12/08 at 12:35pm

I'm going to this, it should be interesting.

And yeah Jenna is playing Sally.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

MeMeMeee
#3re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/12/08 at 1:09pm

Lea:

Please write a review after you see it. I am so intrigued. Headhphones for a whole body experience!! Wow..I used to love listening to the JCS concept album through headphones because the music was all around you; in front, left and right...way behind you..It was amazing!!

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#4re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/12/08 at 7:20pm

*Sigh* I know how you feel...

I auditioned to be in the pit for the first National tour. Nope. Didn't happen. Then my local theater was supposed to do it. Nope. Producer said no. For good luck, I bought myself a Tommy jacket from a European cast member, in the hopes of doing another production locally. Nope. Got lost or stolen in the mail and never got it. I took that as a bad omen and just gave up! re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#5re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/12/08 at 7:49pm

I saw Alice in TOMMY 3 times...and I am definitely going to see her when I'm in LA in June!

THANK YOU for posting this!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#6re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/12/08 at 7:52pm

this just sounds soooo cool,

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#7re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:09pm

I am crossing my fingers that this is successful enough so that when it is done in LA they can bring it to NYC. I am a HUGE WHO fan. And, Tommy is my all time favorite album.

I will admit that I listened to the cast album of the Broadway show and wasn't happy. To me it felt like Pete Townshend was killing his masterwork.

But, I have gotten to like it for what it is. I would love to see a production of this show however.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

MeMeMeee
#9re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/13/08 at 8:20am

Pitpro:

Doesn't it suck? YOu get soooo close but NOPE! NO THANKS! SUCKS!

winston89: I agree with you. The OBCR took a long time to grow on me but boy did it!

I hope this show goes back to Broadway. I truly loved it. I guess I am too old now to be a part of it but at least the "Tommy" teams knew of me, at least for a little while.

(SIGH)

NDR
#10re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/13/08 at 8:24am

I wish I could see this production. It sounds really interesting.
I love the show so it would be really cool to experience it differently.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#11re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/13/08 at 10:05am

I'm hoping to go. It all depends on airfare at the end of the week when the paycheck hits the bank.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

James Sims Profile Photo
James Sims
#12re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/17/08 at 6:19pm

I have just posted the second webisode.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=28058

Enjoy.

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#13re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/17/08 at 7:55pm

Tommy is one of my favorite shows. Too bad it's all the way out in Hollywood or else I'd be there on opening night.

I hope everyone who attends has a great time! I look forward to reading the reviews.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#14re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/23/08 at 9:27pm

I've already got a couple of tickets... but does anyone know if they'll be doing rush or lottery? Just wondering. :)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

James Sims Profile Photo
James Sims
#15re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/24/08 at 5:00pm

Just posted the third webisode covering sets and lighting...

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=28271

Enjoy.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#16re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 5/24/08 at 5:17pm

I would kill to see this just for Nona Hendryx.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 5/24/08 at 05:17 PM

James Sims Profile Photo
James Sims
jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#18re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 6/2/08 at 11:14pm

James, thank you so much for doing these. They are making me SOOOOOO much more excited to go see it!! :)

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

James Sims Profile Photo
James Sims
#19re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 6/10/08 at 11:27pm

Webisode number 5, covering choreography is now up...

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=28724

and make sure to check out the 6th episode later this week to catch interviews with the cast including Alice Ripley and Jenna Leigh Green.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#20re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 6/10/08 at 11:51pm

James, thank you so much for doing this!!! I am SOOOO excited to see it. Almost 10 days to go!!! :)

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

James Sims Profile Photo
James Sims
#21re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 6/12/08 at 11:23pm

Here is the 6th webisode with cast interviews including Alice Ripley and Jenna Leigh Green:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=28877

Cheers!

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#22re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 6/13/08 at 2:11am

Luv Tommy - I saw Alice do it in Pittsburgh a few years back. She was pretty fierce.

James Sims Profile Photo
James Sims
#23re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 6/20/08 at 3:06pm

The final webisode is now live:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=29123

I have included a highlight reel of the show... enjoy!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#24re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 6/20/08 at 3:12pm

The incomparable Nona Hendryx is going to sing the crap out of the Acid Queen. Hot!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#25re: 'The Who's Tommy' in Hollywood
Posted: 6/20/08 at 3:23pm

Can't wait to watch this at home. The soundcard on my computer at work is not working.

There seems to be a square "hole" in the middle of the stage. Wonder what that is for and if it is there for the entire production. Seeing it there brought Ms. Menzel's accident to mind.

And I would kill to see Nona as the Acid Queen. Love her!

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 6/20/08 at 03:23 PM

Videos