pixeltracker

Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT

Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT

Yankeefan007
shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#2re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 1:46pm

weren't people talking last week about how Tamyra extended so she could be the last mimi?

edit-

Hm, well it's June 16th according to the article, not May 16th. Updated On: 5/15/08 at 01:46 PM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 1:46pm

Excellent news!

She was amazing in THE COLOR PURPLE.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#3re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 1:55pm

That just made my day!

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

trinaaron Profile Photo
trinaaron
#4re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 2:04pm

Holy cow, this is an AMAZING closing cast, although I still think the guy playing Mark is going to look like Roger's little tag-along brother.

lizzie3
#5re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 2:11pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TAMYRA IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NDR
#6re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 2:16pm

Yeah, wasn't there an article last week on Playbill saying that Tamyra was the final Mimi?
Oh well, good luck Renee!

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#7re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 2:31pm

I'd rather see Goldsberry as Joanne.

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#8re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 2:40pm

I'd rather see Goldsberry as Joanne.

Ditto.

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

StarUsher Profile Photo
StarUsher
#9re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 2:40pm

I'm really excited for this. I had the pleasure of working on Two Gentleman of Veron in Central Park a few summers back and she was beyond incredible.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#10re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 2:59pm

Since the cast is completly changing i might have to see it again. However, I would prefer to be joanne as well. Tamyra was my favorite Mimi of them all.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#11re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 4:43pm

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TAMYRA IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Noooooooooo, She's not, that's a fact. There are other Mimis in the world. FYI.

I'm glad it's a new cast! I wish it was Jaime for the final Mimi but whatever! I'm excited to see her!

DefyGravity777
#12re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 5:25pm

June 16th is the day that I'm planning to see the show. I needed a show on the Monday between SJB's last show and Kerry Ellis's first show in Wicked...LOL

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#13re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 5:28pm

I pictured her more as Joanne as well, but I think she would be a wonderful Mimi. Great casting! I only wish she could have gotten an honorary Tony for her performance in Two Gentlemen of Verona which was absolutely stunning.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

colleen_lee
#14re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 5:43pm

With all the casting shake-up lately, I am actually excited to see RENT for probably the first time in a decade!

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#15re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 5:44pm

Tamyra Gray was a pretty damn-good Mimi!!! I'm kinda surprised she's not carrying the role through to the end. It'd help with advance-ticket sales.

Ole Chum
#16re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 7:09pm

oh my god! thats brilliant!

i saw her in central park a few summers ago and she STOLE the show!

BRILLIANT move on the RENT produecers part.

lizzie3
#17re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 7:43pm

FYI Chita Rivera, I know there are other Mimi's! I have seen Daphne, Antonique, Jaime and Mel B as well and I still think Tamyra is the best, thats my opinion and I am entitled to it!!!

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#18re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 7:45pm

Tamyra Gray was a pretty damn-good Mimi!!! I'm kinda surprised she's not carrying the role through to the end. It'd help with advance-ticket sales.

It actually didn't do anything to the sales. I think she is bored, people are bored, she's out to much, and not good enough to close. Look at this cast, it's amazing

la_vie_boheme_et_moi Profile Photo
la_vie_boheme_et_moi
#19re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 8:12pm

Ugh, I didn't care for Tamyra. She seemed too grown-up to be Mimi- too mature, I guess?

Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them. Antoine de Saint-Exupery, "The Little Prince", 1943

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
#20re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 9:19pm

That's great news. She'll be wonderful!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#21re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 9:29pm

"Ugh, I didn't care for Tamyra. She seemed too grown-up to be Mimi- too mature, I guess?"

Well, Goldsberry is about 8 years older than Gray.

I am sure she'll be quite good, but let's be honest, she certainly doesn't "look 16."

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#22re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 9:38pm

Mimi is one of the closest to the actual age of Mimi. Both the original and final Mimi will be a tad too old for the role.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#23re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 9:50pm

weren't people talking last week about how Tamyra extended so she could be the last mimi?

A sock puppet started that thread. No one took it seriously.

Bobby, I think you mean Tamyra.

I'd rather the actress be cast moreso for their talent and performance than their age. I don't want to have to sit through two hours of bad singing and bad acting just because the actress "fits" with a throwaway line about her age. Ariana Fernandez was 18; look how that turned out.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 5/15/08 at 09:50 PM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#24re: Renee Elise Goldsberry to be final Mimi in RENT
Posted: 5/15/08 at 11:13pm

Unexpected choice. She doesn't exactly scream "wild" to me.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Videos