pixeltracker

A CHORUS LINE to close August 17- Page 3

A CHORUS LINE to close August 17

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#50re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/3/08 at 11:00pm

I heard 9 to 5 was eyeing the Palace, seeing as Legally Blonde won't last much longer.

But that's sad about the show. And about Mario being the final Zach. Blech.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#51re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/3/08 at 11:02pm

I'm not completely surprised, but I didn't expect it to be so soon. I'm personally very upset to see it go. I was a baby when the original closed, and obviously never got to see it. I'm grateful that this revival stayed faithful to the original.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

futurebroadwaystar1 Profile Photo
futurebroadwaystar1
#52re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/3/08 at 11:38pm

It's what I expected- Mario Lopez single-handedly closed the show...

"With only so much time to spend, don't want to waste the time I'm given!" ~Tick Tick Boom

#53re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 12:06am

I took 31 of my students to see 5 shows this past January over one weekend-and A Chorus Line was the first one we saw when we arrived-for most of the kids it was their first Broadway show ever. I am thrilled that they had the great fortune to see this production, and to remember it always as their first Broadway musical.

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#54re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 12:24am

Is it just me, or does it seem like a bunch of shows seem to be closing up shop right around the same time (within weeks of eachother). I hope that they fill the house again with new shows quickly.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#55re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 12:26am

Wow, that's a lil' bit of a shocker...

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#56re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 12:43am

I'm very upset. A Chorus Line is my favorite show, and it was the 3rd show i've seen on Broadway. I as though it doesn't deserve to close yet, and i'm so shocked. I didnt see this coming at all, and I am so suprised.

The tour is also not coming anywhere near me.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#57re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 12:44am

Damn!! I really thought it would be around another year. Guess I'll try to see it again on August 17 and maybe once before that.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#58re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 12:48am

^ I think you cursed the show earlier when you posted that it won't close for another year or something.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#59re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 12:52am

well, considering the large profit the show has taken in, I'm very surprised. I expected it to last through the end of the year at least.

you have to wonder if the originals will extend their contracts by another month or if they'll have replacements come in for just a month.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#60re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 1:06am

Maybe someone will allow a upadated version of the show to be done. I know it totally crapped with RENT REMIX but it may be a neat idea....

Other than the birth dates and the costumes, there's nothing overtly dated in the concept of ACL. And there are other (better) ways to update a show than what was done with Rent.

I'm not surprised it's closing. Despite still being a great show, it didn't have the "magic" of the original; this run wasn't going to last another 15 years. Stooping to cast Mario Lopez was the death knell- it was only a matter of time.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

broadwayrob
#61re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 4:28am

I got an email earlier from jess goldyn saying that she's staying on until august 17th

I'll be there in ROW A!!!! Got the tix tonight!

yeah i know that's one of those A Chorus Line faux pas. But I want to be that close to those people in that show.

just the best show i've ever seen in my 29 years of life.

anything you do let it come from you and it will be new.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#62re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 6:33am

I'm not as surprised by this one as I was with Cutrains' announcement earlier this year.

But it doesn't appear to have great advance sales for the summer. My dad is thinking about maybe seeing it when he, my mom and my sister come up (I may well end up there with him while my sister and mom go to Wicked, which we found tickets for last night), so I went on to look and for a summer Sunday matinee we found Row B dead center, front row of the mezz and front row of the center mezz section.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

NDR
#63re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 9:47am

Sad for the cast. but it had been struggling.
I wonder if this was simply a case of "must close because we dipped below the theatre lease agreement minimum".

Anyway, congrats to the cast. I am sure we will be seeing you all again soon!

Yankeefan007
#64re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 10:17am

The "stop clause" would be enacted immediately, not 2 months from now.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#65re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 10:41am

A cheap imitation of the wonderful original.
Best gone!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 6/4/08 at 10:41 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#66re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 10:43am

If Jessica Lee Goldyn extended another month, maybe the rest of the originals will as well.

Fosse76
#67re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 10:45am

"The "stop clause" would be enacted immediately, not 2 months from now."

Only if there were a show ready to take the theater. The theaters do not automatically kick out tenants, since they will be making money from the show regardless. Spelling Bee didn't close earlier ONLY because there wasn't a show that wanted Circle in the Square. As of now, there is no show on the horizon for the Schoenfeld.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#68re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 11:06am

If Jessica Lee Goldyn extended another month, maybe the rest of the originals will as well.

I imagine they will all be staying. It's only three extra weeks, so I just don't see getting an entire new cast for that short amount of time.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Harper3 Profile Photo
Harper3
#69re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 11:49am

The show enjoyed a healthy run and when it opened I guessed it would close just shy of two years.

However, what shocks me is that they aren't finishing out the summer high. If they close the first weekend of September they could definately have the possibiliy to rack in some cash. Although they may have poor advance sales and only have tickets available through 8-17.

We just need to be thankful that a new generation, including myself, got to experience this wonderful piece of art.

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#70re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 12:18pm

Looks like Mario Lopez really did the trick, huh?

In all seriousness, I will be sad to see this show go.

Ziegfeld7
#71re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 12:41pm

This was getting tired and old, and being re-staged for a star who didn't sell the tickets, and didn't get along with the rest of the cast. At this point, it seems like the fresh new tour would be a healthier experience for someone to be exposed to A Chorus Line for the first time.

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#72re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 12:45pm

true true

DrewBill
#73re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 1:11pm

This production of "A Chorus Line" had a good run, and I enjoyed seeing it.

Hopefully (years from now), someone really talented will "re-imagine" the show -- I love when classic material is approached in a fresh, new way. It doesn't always work, but it's exciting to try.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#74re: A CHORUS LINE to close August 17
Posted: 6/4/08 at 4:45pm

I am sad to see this go. I thought this would have lasted longer then it is going to.

I feel that the thing about the "re-imagining" of something like A Chorus Line is that there really isn't much you can do re vamp the show and still make it good. Both the revival and the original production pretty much had no set and it wasn't like the costumes were so out of place in todays world that they didn't make sense.

Also, I have seen videos of clips from this show where they use new choreography that was created for that particular local production and not the original Bennett work. I feel that to do the show properly you need to use the Bennett choreography. Anything else just kills it. I have also heard people talk about how this show needs to be changed and they just leave it at that. They never offer any ideas of how they would like to see things done if it were to be changed or how it should be. Just that it should be updated in some way shape or form.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll