What to wear???

bwayfan3
#1What to wear???
Posted: 6/18/08 at 11:39pm

I know that this question has been answered many time but I'm going to see Hairspray on sunday and I don't know what to wear! Can someone please help me!!!!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/18/08 at 11:40pm

CLOTHES.

This is 2008. Wear what you want to wear.

Don't live by other people's standards.

If it isn't illegal, it's acceptable.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#2re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/18/08 at 11:44pm

Broadway has become so casual within the last 15 years it's almost sad.

There is really no dress code, and since you paid for a ticket they won't decline you, but I wouldn't wear clothes you'd probably exercise in.

musicandtemiror
#3re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/18/08 at 11:49pm

I [guy] usually wear something nice like a polo or something but ive gone in a t-shirt before.
They don't really care as long as your not naked!

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#4re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/18/08 at 11:54pm

In a perfect ideal theatre world everyone would put on their best suits, nicest shoes, their finest jewelery, and fix their hair up to its finest.

However, with todays decline in class you can wear anything casual, slightly dressy, or dressy (if you don't mind getting stares from the ingrates.)

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#5re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 12:05am

At tourist-y shows like Phantom, Les Mis (last) & Wicked, you almost standout sometimes even if when you are in like khaki pants (guys). But I tend to wear a polo and khakis or khaki/plaid shorts-type stuff. Business casual or a little less.

Wanna Be A Foster
#6re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 12:08am

DON'T CONFORM!

Do you WANT to blend in and look just like everybody else?

Do you want to disappear into a crowd of SAMENESS?

WHY?

Just be yourself and wear whatever the hell you want.

CONFORMITY IS AS BORING AS HELL.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

carderic Profile Photo
carderic
#7re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 12:17am

i usually wear the same polo, shorts and tennis shoes i've been walking around & sweating in all day.

highly sexual.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#8re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 12:21am

Let's ask Clinton and Stacey...

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

DrewBill
#9re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 12:24am

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I generally like make at least a little effort to look presentable when I go to a show. I don't go crazy, but I usually wear some sort of casual pants or very nice jeans, a dress shirt of some kind, and if it's not too hot I'll throw on a blazer.

In truth, you can wear whatever you want these days -- you'll probably see tourists with shorts and t-shirts on -- but it's a shame that many people dress for the theater as if they're going to the grocery store.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#10re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 12:25am

I usually wear slacks and a nice top. If it's a special thing I may wear a dress. I wore a dress to All Shook Up in Long Beach this past March but it was my birthday and I felt like going the extra mile.

I never wear sneakers though or denim. I dress nicely to show respect for the theatre and the performers.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#11re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 12:33am

Usually I try to look good for tours that coming here, but in the city I wear casual because I had just spent 4 hours on a bus and walked around the city for 3, I want to be comfortable.

Wanna Be A Foster
#12re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 12:35am

I generally like make at least a little effort to look presentable

Presentable to whom?

By whose standards?

-Kad

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#13re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 12:41am

I'd suggest a long dress covered in big black cockroaches.

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#14re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 12:42am

go with the polo

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#15re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 12:45am

I wore jeans and button down to two shows today, and khakis and a polo to one yesterday. Just be comfortable. I am not above wearing shorts either if it is excrutiatingly hot! Plus, fashion is all in the eyes of the beholder. Go with your gut impluse for what you want to wear and think is appropriate for the theater...and be comfortable.

memphreblues
#16re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 1:41am

I've worn anything from jeans and a T-shirt to a skirt and polo. So long as your clothes aren't ripped, dirty, or, for lack of a better term, skanky, I think you're fine. I don't want to look like a slob, but I don't make a huge effort to dress up. I usually just wear nice jeans and a nice T-shirt or maybe tank top with a sweater over top.
Updated On: 6/19/08 at 01:41 AM

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
#17re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 1:50am

casual its sorta of like a mix but i have been seeing alot lately of nice pants and a nice top. the weather is suppose to be in the late 70's.

moon_onastring
#18re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 2:11am

I am planning on going to see a show as well and figured this thread was relevant to my question (I don't like to clutter up boards) I'm going in October and I want to know if this dress would get me stares up and down the theatre.
re: What to wear???
By the way, the show I'm going to see is Gypsy.

Updated On: 6/19/08 at 02:11 AM

DefyGravity777
#19re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 2:11am

I usually wear dress pants or a nice pair of jeans and a dress shirt. I have to wear sneakers though because I have 2 excrutiating heel spurs in my left foot and can't wear shoes right now.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#20re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 4:39am

Depends if you are a guy or a girl moononastring....

No seriously - it's a nice dress!

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#21re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 4:48am

Keep in mind, that chances are you'd be sitting next to someone in his/her sweats. In warm weather, shorts and flip flops.

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#22re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 5:57am

I always try to look vaguely respectable at the theatre- jeans and a polo. But especially at matinees, I've seen kids that look like they just climbed out of a garbage can and adults that just look like they came from the gym. I would think weekend nighttime performances would be a little more dressy, though.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#23re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 6:33am

I'm in the usually nice, clean jeans and a nice top camp most of the time. Sometimes I wear a skirt...it just depends (on the show, on how planned going was, and the performance ~ for whatever reason I tend to dress up a little more for closings).

One of my favorite games in the theatre district is playing spot the high school group going to The Phantom of the Opera. Usually pretty easy as they all seem to be dressed as if going to prom. :P

Dress nicely and tastefully, but I really don't think formal-wear is required. For Hairspray I think nice jeans will be more than fine.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 6/19/08 at 06:33 AM

BWayJunkie
#24re: What to wear???
Posted: 6/19/08 at 6:59am

It's a really nice dress moon_onastring. Unfortunately the dress code for shows isn't as high as it used to be. I saw Gypsy last saturday and unless you're seeing the evening show (if its a two show day) I'd probably wear something a little more casual. I'm a guy so I'm not 100% anyway, but yea. When I first started to go I used to get really dressed up but there were people sitting behind me in shorts and sandals so I started just wearing dark colored jeans with dress shoes and either a polo or a solid dark colored t-shirt. hope this helps.

Videos