Wicked Movie...Would it work?

no1fosterluvah
#1Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 8:01pm

I saw that they're making a Wicked movie. Book or musical I don't know. The thing I read said 2010. My friend said in nine years. Do you think it's meant for the big screen? Or should it stay in a theater?

"a bad title, even? That could kill a show pretty good." -Little Sally Urinetown

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#2re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 8:03pm

Do we really need another thread on this?

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#2re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 8:18pm

clearly.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 8:24pm

No. With its fantastical setting and many opportunities for special effects, Wicked would never work on film. Who would want to see Elphie flying on a broomstick when she can fly straight up in the air with her broom above her head?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#4re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 8:24pm

Lord...a movie is a long way off. Of course it would be for the big screen...a major movie company produced the stage show for christ's sake!

And before it starts again...NO...Eden Espinosa won't be playing Elphaba (or even one of the extras).

gypsy4
#5re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 8:48pm

search engine it helps alot of people out.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#6re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 10:01pm

Two words:

Tim Burton.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#7re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 10:08pm

I was just thinking how stylized a Wicked movie could be, and I loved what Burton did with Sweeney Todd.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#8re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 10:24pm

I think it would work as a film if the concept were very much playing into the Time Dragon Clock concept of the show being performed by the Clock's puppets.

And Tim Burton wouldn't hurt.

Or Alfonso Curon(sp?); I'd love to see him direct a musical film.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#9re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 10:38pm

I'm wat`ching it now.Brittney Spears is Elphaba and Patti Lupone is Glinda.

Its a masterpiece.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#10re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 10:41pm

"I think it would work as a film if the concept were very much playing into the Time Dragon Clock concept of the show being performed by the Clock's puppets."

I really like your idea, but at the same time, I would rather they did something like that in a film or mini-series version of the book, instead of stealing and not using another book concept for the musical.

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#11re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 10:49pm

Technically the idea is in the stage show, but only thanks to Eugene Lee's sets. That's what I have the most problem with in the stage show; it's all a mismatch of different approaches and concepts of adapting the novel.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#12re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 10:50pm

I really don't know how I feel about this... I think ultimately they will just screw it up.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

puppet
#13re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 11:53pm

It would be a chance to fix the book and get rid of all the holes in the plot. The book for the stage version is the worst part of the show and revisions for a film could fix it.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#14re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/17/08 at 12:18am

"It would be a chance to fix the book and get rid of all the holes in the plot. The book for the stage version is the worst part of the show and revisions for a film could fix it."

NOT possible... the screenplay would be written by the same woman who wrote that terrible book. Winnie Holzman.

Ahhh!

Rose_Lee
#15re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/17/08 at 12:21am

Sweeney Todd was absolutely brilliant, but I don't think that Burton would ever choose to do Wicked. Among many reasons, it's not dark enough. I don't know how I'd feel about a Wicked movie. It would probably get a lot of crap thrown at it like Rent. It's too popular among a preteen audience.

mr.scribble Profile Photo
mr.scribble
#16re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/17/08 at 12:26am

I think Barry Sonnenfield would do a Burton-esk film but in a more family oriented style that could make it great, i think Wicked would a great movie but they'd have to change a few things arounf

A Fleur De Toi Profile Photo
A Fleur De Toi
#17re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/17/08 at 5:17am

yesh it wld work, although i do hope they follow the maguire book a bit more closely and develop the characters (esp Fiyero's!) better. I like how Elphaba was portrayed in the book much better, and in fact, they shld go one better and follow the ending of the maguire book. Rather than the Fiyero happy ending love tale.

i actually think the defying gravity scene wld be a lot less impressive in the movie, because she just. flies.up.normally.

In Soviet Russia, Wicked hates you too!

Princeton2
#18re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/17/08 at 5:37am

I think the only part that wouldnt work as well on film would be Defying Gravity. The only 'name' i can think of that could do this movie and be good is Christina Aguilera (spelling!?!) as Elphaba..if she can act.

And maybe Anne Hathaway as Glinda Updated On: 7/17/08 at 05:37 AM

A Fleur De Toi Profile Photo
A Fleur De Toi
#19re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/17/08 at 5:52am

correct spelling, Princeton2 but OH.MY.GOD.

In Soviet Russia, Wicked hates you too!

Princeton2
#20re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/17/08 at 5:55am

Reece Witherspoon as Glinda actually could work, I think I read somewhere she is quite a good singer

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#21re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/17/08 at 6:56am

I don't think it really matters who they cast in the thing, all those girls that flock to Wicked all over the country will flock to the movie as well. It would be such a money maker for them!

broadwayjim42
#22re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/17/08 at 7:39am

I'm one of the odd ducks that thought it didn't work particularly well on stage and I'd be a little afraid of the movie.

And if they were trying preserve the look of the show, I think it might get so expensive that the powers that be might question whether it's worth the effort. Despite the Broadway and touring success, I think it's a riskier commercial prospect than "Mamma Mia."

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#23re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/17/08 at 9:28am

It's not being an odd duck, dear, its having a modicum of taste.

Like MAMMA MIA, RENT, and PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, I imagine this will be one of those movie musicals that has the average viewer going, "Why the hell was this a hit on Broadway?"

Burton and Cuaron wouldn't touch this turd with a ten foot pole.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

StateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
#24re: Wicked Movie...Would it work?
Posted: 7/17/08 at 9:37am

I would love to see the book adapted into a film. And by book I mean the REAL dark, gothic story that Gregory Maguire wrote. Not the silly cheese that it was turned into for Broadway.

"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1

Videos