Do major roles in musicals...

pants2 Profile Photo
pants2
#1Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/19/08 at 11:54am

.... ruin people's career?

I noticed this trend lately, especially with the women in Wicked. You get the occasional person that has more success (Megan Hilty, Shoshana Bean, Idina) but there are a few women from that who were in the show and haven't really done anything big since then. There are other examples too. For instance, Marissa Jaret Winokur originated Tracy in Hairspray, and has done what since then? DWTS? There are other examples but they aren't really coming to my head right now.

What do you think?

Can, can I have it?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#2re: Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/19/08 at 11:57am

Well I'm sure Marissa Jaret Winokur has been offered other roles and such, but has turned them down for various reasons.

Others choose to try and pursue a film career.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#2re: Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/19/08 at 12:13pm

How has being in Wicked ruined anyone's career? Cheno just got her Emmy nod, Idina and Shoshana got record deals, Eden is in Rent, Hilty and Block are in 9 to 5, Norbert got Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

pants2 Profile Photo
pants2
#3re: Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/19/08 at 12:43pm

Well, yeah eden is in Rent but I mean that's not exactly an AMAZING career move. Let's be honest, however many years of playing one of the most desired roles of women in theater today and she goes on to be the what? 20th replacement in a minor role in a long running show? Come on now. Or Kristy Cates, or Julia Murney, or Derick Williams, or Kate Reinders, or David Ayers, and the list goes one.

The same is actually true of Rent. How many people have played the leads in that show over the years and never gotten another big job?

Can, can I have it?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#4re: Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/19/08 at 1:18pm

I think Eden in Rent is a good carrear move. She gets to close what is a very high profile Broadway show.

I do think that this more applies with Rent.

I do wonder if some of the current cast of Rent will get work again once the show closes.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Jon
#5re: Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/19/08 at 2:01pm

Marissa Jaret Winokur is the worst possible example. She is a short, fat girl with a funny voice. How many roles are there for someone like that? How many short fat girls are movie stars? HAIRSRPAY was the high point of her career. HAIRSPRAY THE MOVIE MUSICAL will likely be the high point of Nikki Blonsky's career.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6re: Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/19/08 at 6:35pm

I also think its important to remember that most (many?) b'way actors want to be just that: working actors. Is it a dream come to true to ORIGINATE an incredible role? I'm sure. But its also a dream to simply PLAY an incredible role.

I don't think too many actors choose b'way with hopes of becoming rich OR famous....just be able to pay the bills (without a day job for support) and do what they love. Perform for a live audience 8 shows a week. It's grueling work: they had better love it.

There was an interview recently from Cheyenne Jackson that when asked about Hollywood he responded something like: Yes, I'd consider it. One successful tv show and I could come back and do broadway for the rest of my life.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BobPopa Profile Photo
BobPopa
#7re: Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/19/08 at 10:13pm

I think this whole thought is off base.

"He wants to know who cares. I care you stupid fool we all care..." John Wilkes Booth (Assassins)

Chance
#8re: Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/19/08 at 10:44pm

Marissa Jaret Winokur is the worst possible example. She is a short, fat girl with a funny voice. How many roles are there for someone like that? How many short fat girls are movie stars? HAIRSRPAY was the high point of her career. HAIRSPRAY THE MOVIE MUSICAL will likely be the high point of Nikki Blonsky's career.

well aren't you just a vile little miscreant.

jazzicat Profile Photo
jazzicat
#9re: Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/19/08 at 10:46pm

the truth hurts. although there is always "dancing with the stars."

fanpires
#10re: Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/19/08 at 11:16pm

Well, Jon, aren't you quite pleasant.

pants2 Profile Photo
pants2
#11re: Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/20/08 at 12:10am

Another example that hasn't actually happened yet is what will probably happen with Max Crumm and Laura Osnes. They originated their Grease roles, but what now? Or whoever wins the search for Elle on MTV, they will probably play Elle, and then that's the end.

Can, can I have it?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#12re: Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/20/08 at 12:20am

Hopefully Laura Osnes will not go away.

That girl has talent...Max Crumm on the other hand....

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#13re: Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/20/08 at 3:11am

Honestly, success is what you make of it. If you are an actor, do something spectacular for awhile, then don't do something as big, it shouldn't be the end of your life or career. You just do what you have to do or love doing. If you look at every job you end up with as being more successful than your last gig, you are probably never going to be happy.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#14re: Do major roles in musicals...
Posted: 7/20/08 at 3:49am

I noticed this trend lately, especially with the women in Wicked.

Well, honestly, if someone auditioned for me and had Wicked on their resume I'd ask them to leave. Same if someone sings a song from wicked...
Updated On: 7/20/08 at 03:49 AM

Videos