Young Frankenstein...Why?

dburns08
#2re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/3/08 at 1:54pm

I must say that I completely agree. I was incredibly hesitant about seeing this show-- I even purposely skipped out of seeing it multiple times because of the constant negativity surrounding the show, Mel Brooks, etc. But after winning the lottery and convincing myself that a twenty-five dollar front row ticket to an apparently 'mediocre' show was better than a full-priced ticket to another, on I went. I was not only pleasantly surprised with the show, but I must suggest that if this show preceded 'The Producers' it would have done much better at the Tony's and in its undoubtably poor reputation.

A few more comments I would like to share...

I was blown away by Christopher Fitzgerald's performance. He, alongside Beth Leavel (in the role originated by Tony-nominee Andrea Martin), led the cast to new comic proportions. Fitzgerald, however, was the bandit of the production-- with incomparable and unyielding characterizations and quirks that constantly diverted attention away from the seemingly understated Roger Bart. While Megan Mullally's character suspiciously resembled 'Will & Grace's' Karen, she still managed to contribute just the right amount of comic timing and delivery.

Yes, the show resembled 'The Producers' with a criminally obvious set of stereotypical characters and an order of musical numbers, but all was forgiven and forgotten once incredible ensemble took the stage. I had to remind myself though-- both before and during the production that this IS Mel Brooks we are talking about. There is no deeper meaning than that which is literally conveyed on the stage. There is no political undertone, no interweaving connection of emotions-- the show is most obviously a shallow interpretation of stereotypes. With all considered, the show was an enormous feat-- with incredibly large and detailed scenery, a phenomenally energetic orchestra, and beautifully executed choreography.

It is upsetting that the egos and strong personalities of the Broadway community can affect a show's success so much. 'Young Frankenstein,' itself, was an infectiously funny, lively show that left me in a wonderfully pleasant mood.

Broadway212 Profile Photo
Broadway212
#2re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/3/08 at 2:26pm

I ask the same question. This was the best show I have seen in a long time. I saw it 28 times since it opened. I loved it. Such great actors and a great score and amazing set.

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#3re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/3/08 at 2:28pm

Jermey, I remember you as one of the original IMDB Producers movie fan. I was bluesbro/buzzalot93 over there.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#4re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/3/08 at 2:49pm

I also really enjoyed Young Frankenstein when I saw the show back in December!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#5re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/3/08 at 2:57pm

As often happens, everyone rejoiced when Mel Brooks brought his idiosyncratic talents to Broadway with "The Producers." He brought a great number of new asses into the seats and got Broadway massive press.

But this is a cynical business, almost as nasty as the "Not only must I succeed, but you must also die" film business. There is a rich history of this. Schadenfreude has been on the menu at Sardi's for decades.

The knives would have been out no matter how good his next show was. He has just decided to ignore all of us and rake in the cash.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

justafan2
#6re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/3/08 at 5:50pm

I LOVE this show---and enjoyed Beth's performance so much. I was lucky enough to see it this past week (my 4th time)and catch Megan before she left. I also agree about Christopher F's performance---he's just amazing. I think the cast for YF is perfect! I wish they could all stay for a very long time.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#7re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/3/08 at 6:15pm

YF sucks.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#8re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/3/08 at 6:50pm

It's one of the better musicals of the year.

Although that isn't saying much.

It's really funny that it was pegged early as a huge misfire and the worst musical of the year when a hell of a lot worse musicals came out and only one new musical (PASSING STRANGE) got across the board raves, all the rest of mixed to positive at best. It should have gotten more Tony nominations. It really isn't THAT bad at all.

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#9re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/3/08 at 9:55pm

I loved Young Frankenstein and hope that it is produced in other countries.

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#10re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/3/08 at 10:20pm

I thoroughly enjoyed myself. And will stick by this show. It was a WOW and I cannot wait to see it again. I sincerely hope it does a tour.

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

regnad kcin Profile Photo
regnad kcin
#11re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/3/08 at 11:31pm

I'll try to disagree without starting an arugment re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
The acting, singing, dancing and visuals were flawless. I simply felt like there was no heart in the show - and as silly as any show can be, I need to care a little bit. I don't blame the actors, but the show itself.

Another hting in transferring something into a musical is, the material needs to sing. And the movie was perfect - there was no need to make it a musical. All that said, I was disappointed that Roger Bart wasn't nominated for the Tony.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#12re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/3/08 at 11:42pm

After watching the original producers movie (this was after I had seen the musical) I could see why they transfered it into a musical. It worked, it made sense. However, I saw Young Frankenstein before it opened on Broadway and then saw the musical and I didn't feel the same way. The producers musical felt like he was adding more to an original idea. The show of Young Frankenstein felt like he wasn't adding anything to an original idea, just trying to find a way to milk it for all its worth. I do think that the acting in it was great. Not Tony worthy. I feel like the actors were doing the best with what they have. I am glad I saw it but I can never force myself to sit through it again.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#13re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/4/08 at 12:14am

I thought the show was just "okay". It took forever to get going, and only when Sutton Foster landed in the hay did any actual theatrical excitement begin.

I notice that for the TV commercial, the musical number they show is "Puttin' On The Ritz" - one of Mel's biggest hits.

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#14re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/4/08 at 12:24am

winston, I completely agree with your assessment. Producers made sense as a musical, it gained something as a musical. Young Frankenstein clearly doesn't fit, especially not as some sort of neon orgas-mo-rama mess. The movie was funny because it felt like an old, cheap horror film. If Brooks really felt the need to transfer YF to the stage, it should have been more like what "The 39 Steps" did.
Updated On: 8/4/08 at 12:24 AM

simon_wilkie
#15re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/4/08 at 8:57pm

I agree with the original poster - YF is possibly better than The Producers.

I visited NYC last week and saw Wicked, Hairspray and YF and YF surpased the other two shows by miles.

I've posted more detailed comments in the Megan thread, but the cast were phenomenal, the sets were breath-taking and music and book were superb.

Yes the show is Mel Brooks through and through, but what he did when The Producers opened in 2001 was inject fun back into theatre. He returned musical comedies back to what they used to be before the depressing days of ALW and the British invasion. Good, old fashioned singing, dancing fun.

By rewriting his movie into a musical he paved the way for numerous successors such as Spamalot, Hairspray, Legally Blonde and others.

Obviously these reasons are no reason why YF should therefore be given more credit than it's due. I do feel though that there is a certain amount of theatre snobbery going on in denying the show more Tony's than it deserved and resulted in such mixed reviews, when it is obviously loved by many theatre-goers (as the people's choice wins confirm) and presumably the best was to judge a show should be on the audience reaction and ticket sales rather than simply the mindless, insular, arrogant and self-serving world of theatre critics who are very often wrong (the NY Times review of Chess has just sprung to mind!)

Anyway, diatribe over...and hopefully no offence to any critics in the audience! Go and see the show...best of Broadway at the minute. I can't wait to see it again- hopefully they'll bring it across the pond so I don't have to travel to NYC to do so!!!

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#16re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/4/08 at 9:19pm

Well, I enjoyed it a lot more than The Producers, and I thought it was a lot better than the reviews let on (deserved more Tony noms., that's for sure) but I thought it had its flaws. Other than "Puttin' On the Ritz", there was nothing else that excited me.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#17re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/4/08 at 9:22pm

I knew the critics would not give him universal love & kisses like they did with The Producers. I had no idea they would be so vicious.

We enjoyed it a lot & to those who are wondering whether to see it or not - go.

Poster Emeritus

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#18re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/5/08 at 2:21am

It needed a different star and director, as it is it tends to come off as a lukewarm copy (in style) of THE PRODUCERS.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#19re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/5/08 at 9:52am

I find it funny that now that the Tonys are long over, more and more people are coming out saying Young Frankenstein should have been nominated/won more. Before, many were saying the opposite.

Personally I was fine with this year's nominations, and I enjoyed the show.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#20re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/5/08 at 11:00am

I also felt it was better than The Producers.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#21re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/5/08 at 11:11am

Could they not have found any one better to replace Sutton Foster? Kelli Sullivan = bland, bland, bland.

Wildcard
#22re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/5/08 at 2:24pm

I think the egos of the producers, Brooks and the director brought so much negative buzz to this show that it turned off voters and audiences. It really is not a bad show, probably better than some of the shows out there now. Unfortunately, their heads got too big before the show itself was actually big.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#23re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 8/5/08 at 2:44pm

First, "Puttin' on the Ritz" is one of Mel's biggest hits?

Oh Lordy, Irving Berlin is spinning in his tiny coffin over that comment, seeing as he wrote the song in 1930.

Now, as to Mel Brooks and why he did the show.

Because he could.

Because the public - not Broadway fans but the general public - will come out in droves to see ANYTHING he does.

Mel Brooks started on "Your Show of Shows" as a writer for Sid Caesar. He created and wrote "Get Smart" and all those great GENERAL PUBLIC films. His career has never been about getting awards.

Like the Zuker Brothers, his career has been about making people laugh. And he has consistently delivered.

And why should he tel you how much a show he finances grosses. What business is it of ours?

If he wants to keep his grosses a secret, so be it. I don't see YF posting closing notices anytime soon.

Mel relates to the public exactly as Woody Allen (another alumni of the "Show of Shows" era does: "This is my craft. This is my product. Take it or leave it, but leave me alone."

In some ways, it's quite frustrating.

In other ways, it's quite refreshing.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

cantstandbrody
#24re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 9:51am

Lesson learned on YF . No matter how good a show is ,the jackels on broadway will eat you alive if you don't play by there greedy rules .They will prod there little girl Reidel into trashing whom ever they need him too . They are getting very greedy now! Despite what you heard they got a good deal out of the stagehands which knocked alot of guys out of work ! So there profit margin will go up . They promised a big raise and they gave it to the stagehands but know they are paying higher wages to a lot less people !! They will keep raising prices till the attendance drops dramaticly . There greed is of low integrity and like all low integrous things eventually it will come to an e

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#25re: Young Frankenstein...Why?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 10:09am

It is rather strange that people tag Mel Brooks as a newcomer to broadway. The Producers was his 4th broadway show having written the book for 3 shows in the 50s and early 60s.

Videos