pixeltracker

Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?

Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#1Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 2:25pm

I'm serious, actually.

So I bought "The Woman in White" CD and was listening to it, and I couldn't help but notice that the tune to the "Lammastide" number in the first act sounded very very familar, so I replayed it, started humming along and the chorus "Sing! For it's Lammastide!" is familiar, eerily familiar to "Hey Macarana! *chomp*"

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 2:29pm

First, Puccini, now the Macarena.

What's next? Mambo #5?

Gothampc
#2re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 2:34pm

Listen to "Music of the Night"

Then sing the song:
School days, school days
good old fashioned rule days

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#3re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 2:35pm

I am pretty sure that The Thong Song is next.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

fvalle24
#4re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 2:36pm

Also, didn't he bite off Pink Floyd's "Echoes"?

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#5re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 2:41pm

Wow.

Just wow.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#6re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 2:50pm

fvalle24,

The main theme of the Phantom overture was apparently ripped off from part of the song Echos by Floyd. I read an article about it where Roger Waters said that it was clear that Webber stole that bit of the overture (and of course the "Phantom Theme" we hear through out the show) from their song Echos. But, he said that life was too short to fight over something small like that.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

fvalle24
#7re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 2:55pm

Winston89,

I read that too! I didn't believe it at first, but then I listened to the song...and it's there. I was somewhat disappointed, but not surprise.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#8re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 3:00pm

I read someone making that Macarana comparrision before when the show opened on broadway. I hadn't picked it up till then, now that is all I hear when i hear that song. It has always been my lest favourite song in the whole score.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Yero
#9re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 3:18pm

What about the Batman theme in Jesus Christ Superstar?

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

Jon
#10re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 3:19pm

MOTN = Come to Me, Bend to Me from Brigadoon.

Masquerade = something from Turandot (Puccini, of course)

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#11re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 4:06pm

Did Webber even write "Lammastide"? Isn't it a classic song from the period?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#12re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 4:44pm

I did a few different google searches. I couldn't find any other version of Lammastide other then what Webber wrote.

temms Profile Photo
temms
#13re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 5:16pm

This video (and it's meant to be tounge-in-cheek) highlights some of the most obvious "coincidences" in Lloyd Webber's work.
Andrew Lloyd Webber obituary

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#14re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 5:17pm

I've thought the song sounded like "The Macarena" ever since I first saw the show.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#15re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 6:36pm

this is slightly off topic, but I remember reading somewhere that the "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" can be found in several places in the score of Evita, sped up, slowed down and...possibly inverted? I know it's really common for composers to have motifs in their pieces [there are certainly a lot in Sweeney], but I thought the DCFMA was really interesting and almost...ridiculous.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#16re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 6:42pm

re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?

I just finished reading the thread and was greeted by this banner ad.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#17re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 6:46pm

I really hate this google ads thing.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#18re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/13/08 at 11:38pm

LOL OP you got that off of a review from NY1 I bet...that's where I first found out about it & realized it sounds similar!

And "Lammastide" is a old-time Holiday (I believe in England, correct me if I'm wrong), about the new season (which the song describes).

Who cares I still love WiW!

BroadwayPenguin2
#19re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/14/08 at 1:41am

A better quality video of the obituary Updated On: 8/14/08 at 01:41 AM

Hrududu Profile Photo
Hrududu
#20re: Lloyd Webber Ripping Of The Macarana?
Posted: 8/14/08 at 6:53am

There is a part in the Whistle Down the Wind overture that is a total rip off of the Jurassic Park theme.

Videos