pixeltracker

Who would be interested in "To Kill a Mockingbird" as a Broadway drama?

Who would be interested in "To Kill a Mockingbird" as a Broadway drama?

Eagleman
#1Who would be interested in "To Kill a Mockingbird" as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/29/08 at 1:34am

...starring Tom Hanks, Kyle Chandler, or Kevin Kline ?

Just gauging interest... .

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#2re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/29/08 at 1:45am

Do we really need a play/musical adaptation of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD? It's in the public consciousness so much, its message is so well-known, people still read it in school... why do we need another version? If anything, it might keep people from reading the book.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/29/08 at 1:56am

There already is a licensed stage version of the novel. Papermill did it back in the '90's.
Updated On: 8/29/08 at 01:56 AM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#3re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/29/08 at 2:43am

There are two stage versions, actually. One that was (I think) written and originally performed in England, and the popular American version by Christopher Sergel (I actually just finished playing Bob Ewell in that one). I've heard the British version is great, but IMO the Sergel version is a bit clunky and would not suceed on Broadway without a fantastic, box-office drawing Atticus (Tom Hanks would be a great choice, actually).

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/29/08 at 1:38pm

Yeah, it's been done on the stage for years.

I was Dill in a production my freshmen year of undergrad. It was the most successful production the school has probably ever seen. We got tons of press and recognition for it. And it really was a SPECTACULAR, STELLAR production! Everything from the set to the cast to the direction.

Our set had the town buildings which rotated to reveal the courtroom on the opposite side.

I think it would make a remarkable Broadway production and you don't even need a big name to make it good (only to make it sell better, of course).

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

clever name Profile Photo
clever name
#5re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/29/08 at 1:48pm

I would LOVE to see a Broadway production. Who could be Boo?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#6re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/29/08 at 1:52pm

NO!

NEW plays, NEW musicals please. New myths that speak to our times! We have enough revivals and adaptations of familiar titles from movies and literature already. F**k the middlebrows, f**k the tourists, and f**k the producers who want to make a quick buck or have a "success" to make their name....keep pushing this art form forward, please. FORWARD.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

husk_charmer
#7re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/29/08 at 2:22pm

I, like Cap'n Hook, played Dil, but we did the Sergel version. It was a great production, totally sold out, but that adaptation is best left to schools/communities and not Broadway

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#8re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/29/08 at 2:36pm

Aw, husky, you were Dill too? How sweet! (OK -- you need a new petname 'cuz "husky" ain't cute. haha)

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
husk_charmer
#10re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/29/08 at 3:04pm

You could call me "charmy" or something.

I'll try and dig up a picture of me as Dill, but I don't think I have one.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#11re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/29/08 at 3:24pm

Just call him Gavin!

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Eagleman
#12re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/29/08 at 7:54pm

The American play is the Sergel adaptation and the only one to play the U.S regionally.

There has never been a major Broadway production.

As to why, second to the Bible, To Kill a Mockingbird, in a survey taken by American
Librarians, is the nations' most beloved book.

At the same time, the AFI has declared the character of Atticus Finch as played by Gregory Peck, as american film's most-beloved hero.

I think limiting Broadway to new works is somewhat extreme.

Not everything new is superior by default and reincarnations of previous works
are not necessarily inferior because they have had past runs.

Finally, TKAM is a work unknown to vast audiences who never read the book or saw the movie.

Updated On: 8/29/08 at 07:54 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#13re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/29/08 at 7:58pm

Are there really vast amounts of people who've never read the book in school? Everyone I know (and knew growing up), whether they went to a public school, private school, or whatever, all read the book. I actually had to read it twice. Once in 8th grade, then again in my 10th grade American literature English class. I also remember using it in one of my essays on the A.P. English test.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#14re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/30/08 at 12:11am

Yes, TKAM is still new to many of us -- even knew as adults.

I had never read the book until I auditioned for the show. I was supposed to in high school but sparknoted it instead. I hardly ever read novels. I read plays mostly.

--Aristotle

Eagleman
#15re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/30/08 at 12:51am

There's so much to work with that really didn't make it into the film or the Sergal
adaptation or that could organically develop from the text.

The courtroom scene could be really ratcheted up. Atticus wasn't given much to work with but since you really don't get bonus points for sticking too close to the original text, what might have happened if Atticus' defense was strong enough to "turn" one of the jurists--Walter Cunningham, resulting in a hung jury.

That would surprise a few people but to tack back to the original story line what would happen if Atticus returned from Montgomery to learn that Tom Robinson had been lynched, most likely by the "gang from sacrum". Same resolution; different
plot points.

It would also set the table for a point EVERYONE misses when reading the book, seeing the play, or the moviie: by agreeing with Heck Tate to go along with the story that Bob Ewell fell on his knife, Atticus is committing the crime of obstructing justice but by doing so he is acknowledging that there is a higher law that transcends human law. He becomes a tragic hero who realizes the legal system is
truly flawed and not the perfect instrument of justice he believed it was and now in order to acknowledge there is a higher moral order he must be a co-conspirator with Sheriff Tate to engage the higher law protect Boo Radley.

It's amazing that it is never taught that at the end of the novel Atticus willingly
participates in a crime, the knowledge of which he must live with because the law he served and believed to be one of man's greatest achievements could no longer be served or trusted.

husk_charmer
#16re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/30/08 at 1:00am

I think you do a great discredit to a lot of people with that assumption.

In 8th grade, my teacher made a BIG deal about what Atticus was doing. In fact, one of the biggest statements is made by Scout when she says:
"Mr. Tate was right...well it'd be sort of like shootin' a mockingbird, wouldn't it?" (Chapter 30 of Part II if you care). It's a very clear thing that is definitely left out of the play, and I'm 50% sure is still in the movie.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#17re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/30/08 at 1:07am

Perhaps, but everyone I knew didnt read it or only partially read it. And I still haven't seen the movie.

--Aristotle

husk_charmer
#18re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/30/08 at 1:18am

Oh, I didn't mean you Capn, I meant Eagleman.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#19re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/30/08 at 1:29am

Variety is good. I think it would do very well on Broadway because so many do enjoy both the book and movie. Broadway is a different medium altogether. People also seem to forget a good amount of Americans are dyslectic and can't read very well. Some just don't like to read too. So getting this whole message across to a wider audience would be nice. Especially considering that our Country still seems to be struggling with acceptance for those who aren't in the majority, as far as population goes.

I also though feel that all races need to be reminded that just because some people are ignorant, sheep and are being lead to violence by those intolerable few, who often are dictating from a large pulpit, many of us are understanding and want a Country where justice is really fair. We have seen our Supreme Justice pivot to represent the powerful few and fail miserably in protecting the rights of the common person. This play could help remind every American that failure to pay attention to those who judge us can very quickly turn against us if someone has an axe to grind. Then we also see those too connected get away with Murder because our justice here in America has been up for sale to the highest bidder these last few years.

So anything that can have a positive impact on Americans and those abroad can't hurt? We've caused so much trouble for those around the World. I think mostly because people just skim through the pages and believe others are looking out for their best interest. No. Others are looking out for their pocketbooks and can care less if we are free or not. So why not offer something thoughtful once in awhile that isn't glorifying abuse or trying to justify it once in awhile?

This is one of my favorite books because it reinforced my own belief that we really must find out more about someone before we can fairly judge their character. I learned this though growing up as a child in Oakland, Ca. but when I moved to the suburbs, I was very unhappy to see how many of those were so ignorant about people from other nationalities. Just listening to callers even in California who seem to live under a log or something, is enough to convince me we can all enjoy and learn from this book becoming a Broadway Play.

Good luck. The Scopes Trial seems to be something too that seems to have been lost to antiquity? Something based on Roe vs Wade would be nice too. Since Americans haven't a clue what that trial was really all about. A Woman's right to make her own medical choices, not a Doctors, a Hospitals, an Insurance Co. or any other person whose body isn't involved besides the patient.

A bit radical but than what is drama for?

KrissySim
#20re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/30/08 at 3:47am

I'm not against new productions of old plays with new directorial interpretations, actor interpretations (I love Shakespeare) ... but Borstal made a good point. Today's theatre industry appears to fall back on the tried and proven and is less interested in taking risks with something new.

There is a lot of subject matter today that could potentially have as great an impact as TKAM if only a playwright were confident enough that a producer would back it. Unfortunately in today's world, theatre is heavily filtered by considerations of audience demographics, acceptance, what people "want to see" etc. that theatre has become more a business of selling tickets than an art that reflects our collective circumstance. Complex issue, actually, and I'm not sure that I'm expressing myself clearly.
Updated On: 8/30/08 at 03:47 AM

Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
#21re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/30/08 at 8:26am

Which production has Atticus on his knees sobbing? Or was that just added to a production I saw? I really don't think Atticus would do that.

"It ain't no myst'ry If it's politics or hist'ry The thing you gotta know is Ev'rything is show biz" - Mel Brooks

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#22re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/30/08 at 9:34am

LMFAO at BorstalBoy, Musicals and plays have been based on other sources since theatre began

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Roscoe
#23re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/30/08 at 10:20am

I just don't think this is a terribly interesting idea. And casting St. Tom Hanks as Atticus Finch strikes me as a ghastly idea.

Just read the book. It is much better than that lame film, much more moving and detailed, you learn so much more about that entire town in Alabama, there are levels of pain and violence in that novel that the movie glosses over.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#24re: Who would be interested in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a Broadway drama?
Posted: 8/30/08 at 10:23am

Why do people keep wanting to go into a Broadway theatre and see something they already know by heart?

Don't people want to be surprised anymore?

I think this is the DVD generation that was/is able to watch the same movie 1,000 times if they want to. They keep putting on the same thing, over and over again.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22