pixeltracker

Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/performer?- Page 2

Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/performer?

feline0favenueB2 Profile Photo
feline0favenueB2
#25re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/1/08 at 9:23pm

Hmm, sometimes.

I'm done with the storyline of Wicked, but if an understudy of somebody new is ever there I go.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#28re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/1/08 at 9:34pm

I usually go in to see a show for what it is, but sometimes a certain actor is what gains my interest in it. Usually repeated viewings are based on who takes over roles (or if I'm with someone who I recommended it for). For example, I've seen Spamalot to last me for a while, but with Merle coming, I'll definitely be there.

::bust a move::

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
AlgonquinProd2 Profile Photo
AlgonquinProd2
#31re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/1/08 at 10:03pm

At $120 a pop, I don't see too many shows just because of a name. I did go see Bernadette Peters in "Tell Me On A Sunday", which I probably would not have seen otherwise. Hugh Jackman certainly in "The Boy from Oz". Other than that, unless you're dealing with a Nicole Kidman/Julia Roberts sort of limited engagement, I think the majority of folk will go see the show first and if they can't get into the show they want then they might go see one because a person they know or a star is in it.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#32re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/1/08 at 10:09pm

Not usually, but if it's starring Sutton Foster, I'm there. I also saw Next to Normal for Alice Ripley, and my last Spring Awakening visit was just to see the new cast.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#33re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/1/08 at 10:11pm

Since I have not seen too many Broadway shows, I usually just go to see the show because it sounded interesting. Actually, last Wednesday was the first time I went to see a show for the second time because I enjoyed it, but to also see if stunt casting turned it into a train wreck.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

She_Had_Refinement Profile Photo
She_Had_Refinement
#34re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/1/08 at 10:22pm

Yes, but not Broadway... opera. There was a time when I had the desire and means to search out any European performance of Edita Gruberova. It's more about the total production now for me at least. Of course, I'm still excited about the possibility that Cecilia Bartoli will be at the Met in 2011 as Amina... heh. So, I guess there are some roles I'm interested in hearing new interpretations of. And some performers I'm interested in hearing whatever they're doing. But I can't say that extends to Broadway for some reason. I like weird old stuff...

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#35re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/1/08 at 10:39pm

commasplice, I like what you said about going to a perfromance of Wicked in Chicago just because Ashford was out.

I have a similar story with Wicked. Towards the beginning of Kerry's run (this was when she built up a reputation for being out the afternoon performance of two show days) I had a ticket to see the show. Having seen it with her once I felt that she was a total let down. I was buying the ticket off of a BBW poster and when I got to the theatre to buy the ticket I see Julie Reiber signing autographs from the afternoon performances. Knowing that Kerry had been taking afternoons off I at first thought that Reiber was just going on for the afternoon performance. After asking her she told me that she was going to be on that night. I did a little happy dance.

But on another note, there are performers that I do like that are in shows I hate. For example, Beth Level is in Young Frankenstein. I love her work but I hate the show that she is in. And, despite loving her work there is no amount of money in the world could get me to sit through that show again.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#36re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/1/08 at 11:14pm

Ok, so now the second question. If you went to see the certain performer(s) do you get caught in just that performer and really miss the entire show all together?

The reason why I ask this is that a friend of mine recently saw a production because of a certain star and I asked her "how was the production?" and she told me "oh, to be honest I have no idea and I even don't remember the story or even paid attention to it, I was too busy watching "the person's name".

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#37re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/1/08 at 11:33pm

1. A lot of times, the performer(s) I like do attract me to a show, but I try to see the show for the show, especially since I'd get disappointed if they were out that day. It depends.

2. If it's a show I've seen before, I like to check out facial expressions and things going in the background and such. But I never look at ONE person the ENTIRE time, and definitely not to the point where I miss the whole show. There are some times when I can't help looking at my favorite performer during certain scenes. For example, in Gypsy during "All I Need Is the Girl," even though that is essentially Tulsa's number, my eyes also tend to stay on Laura for a lot of the time just to watch her b/c I really feel for her character. Or in Wicked, people were giving me weird looks during Dancing Through Life because I was laughing so much. Annaleigh was doing all these hilarious dances and gestures. I guess because everyone else is looking at whoever's playing Fiyero, they didn't know what the hell I was laughing at, lol.
Updated On: 9/1/08 at 11:33 PM

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#38re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/2/08 at 6:29am

Well, I went to see Little Mermaid mainly because of Norm Lewis. I loved his version of Javert and wanted to see him taking on Disney... erm, shirtless. I thought he was amazing, but I was surprised by how talented the rest of the cast was, as well. The eels and the French chef stole the show, and the Prince was surprisingly good as well.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#39re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/2/08 at 7:00am

It's a semi-interesting question you ask; I mean, I've gone to see shows for performers (I'm pretty much dragged in to everything by at least one specific person, be it performer, director, or playwright), and I will watch that performer with glee.

But you almost seem to be asking "when you've gone for a performer, do you watch them, then start reading a book/having a snooze/getting a cup of tea whenever they're not onstage?". The answer to that is of COURSE not. I may let the presence of, say, Simon Russell Beale drag me to everything he's in (even if he decides he simply MUST be in a show I've previously vowed never to see again) but I can't think of anything more idiotic than ONLY watching him. Yes, he's brilliant, so I will be drawn to him when he's onstage, but I'm perfectly capable of watching an entire show.

Jade Profile Photo
Jade
#40re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/2/08 at 2:15pm

I saw the West End revival of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat because the role of Joseph was cast via reality TV, and I watched the entire series and ended up being a big fan of the guy who won. If it hadn't been for that, I wouldn't have bothered seeing it.

I also saw Les Mis for Drew Sarich as Valjean, but I'd already seen it and it's one of my favourite shows anyway.

HollyDiver
#41re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/2/08 at 2:27pm

Honestly, if I could I would see every show at least once, and then see the ones I enjoy as much as possible. This being said, if there is an actor in something that I like, I will see the show for them, if there is a show that looks interesting in general, I will go see that as well. Any reason to get out and go to the theater is good enough for me.

If Kevin Spacey or Kelsey Grammer come back to Broadway I would go to anything they were in. Brian Stokes Mitchell, Idina, and Raul Esparza I love as well.

I'd rather be reckless than rockless.

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#42re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/2/08 at 2:37pm

I continue to go back to Gypsy to see Leigh Ann Larkin. I would see her in any show.

I also will see any show on Broadway - I am not picky. I don't mind seeing shows multiple times either, as long as they have a good student rush policy.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#43re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/2/08 at 2:52pm

I saw Dirty Rotten Scoundrels just to see Joanna Gleason live onstage. (I never have. Only on DVD) I enjoyed the show and her performance but could still kick myself for not seeing Pillowman instead.

Just give the world Love.

philcrosby
#44re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/2/08 at 4:07pm

I'd go to see a real star in anything. There just aren't a lot of them left. And they only show they seem to want to do is GYPSY. (Though it is worth seeing every time.)

Thank God Ms. Channing never got a hankering to play Mama Rose.

theatreguy7793
#45re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/2/08 at 4:38pm

umm.. well, i've never seen it FOR a person, certain performers have gained my interest in a show, (i.e Patti LuPone in Gypsy, Julia Murney In Chess) but i generally go for the show it's self, the performers normally just make it better for me :)

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#46re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/2/08 at 4:47pm

saw WICKED for Stephanie J Block, I'd see her in anything, and SAVED for Julia Murney.

Ftworthguy Profile Photo
Ftworthguy
#47re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/2/08 at 5:14pm

The THREE times I saw Annie Get Your Gun were because of Bernadette, Reba and Cheryl Ladd (I know I'll catch hell for that one, but I was a HUGE Charlie's Angels fan)

I'm not a big fan of AGYG, but circumstances arose where I had the opportunity and wanted to see all three of those ladies on stage.

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#48re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
Posted: 9/2/08 at 5:31pm

Usually I go for the show, but sometimes I've seen a show more than once to see a performer. I saw Phantom in London with Sarah Brightman, but Michael Crawford had already left the production. So I saw it again on Broadway just to see him. He was mesmerizing in that performance even from my rear balcony seat and when he was performing I couldn't pay attention to anyone else.