AHH! Show help needed.....

cheapcoloredlights3
#1AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/28/08 at 8:16pm

So I'm going up to NYC this weekend, arriving at 10, leaving later that day but time is negotiable....

1. Can see a matinee of whatever....

I had in mind-

Legally Blonde (Seen it 2x before)
[title of show] (Seen in 1x before)
Spring Awakening (Seen it 1x before)
Wicked (Seen it 5x before)
Spamalot (Never seen it, but didn't love the movie)
Gypsy (Not to keen on older musical *ducks*)
Jersey Boys (1x before)
In The Heights (2x before)

Off the list...which is best to see?

Also, is there anyway to cram in a short show before or after a show that's off broadway that has a 11:30 mat, or like a 4:00 or 5:00 show?

Thanks so much!!!
Updated On: 9/28/08 at 08:16 PM

jenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
#2re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/28/08 at 8:18pm

All I can say is, if you didn't like the Monty Python movie, you won't like Spamalot. It's pretty well all of the same humour.

Call the understudy / I can't go on tonight / I'm drinking with my buddy / I'm getting good and tight / Before they raise the curtain I'll be higher than a kite / So call the understudy I can't go on tonight

Broadway212 Profile Photo
Broadway212
#2re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/28/08 at 8:32pm

Young Frankenstein is a really great and funny show if you have time you should check that one out from your list Spring Awakening was a great show and they have a really strong cast in my opinion.

BNN
#3re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/28/08 at 8:36pm

Gypsy isn't old! It's timeless! Don't cheat yourself out of missing a great production.

Tick Tock

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#4re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/28/08 at 8:40pm

Forbidden Broadway does a show on Saturdays at 4pm, and Sundays at 3pm. It's about an hour and 40 minutes. However, if you are already only seeing a matinee of a Broadway show, you probably won't make it to this on time.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#5re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/28/08 at 10:42pm

See [title of show].

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#6re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/28/08 at 10:49pm

[title of show] or Gypsy from your list

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#7re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/28/08 at 10:53pm

Why not see something you haven't seen?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#8re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/28/08 at 10:54pm

Please do not avoid seeing Gypsy because it's "old"! That is the reason I almost didn't see this musical, but I ended up going and LOVED it! The performances are not to be missed and there is a reason Miss Lupone won her tony award. She is amazing!

Definitely go see Gypsy!

(ok. I'm done ranting)

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#9re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/29/08 at 12:47am

So you would rather see Wicked for the sixth time than Gypsy, a show that won Tonys for all of its stars, considered one of the best musicals ever written and probably won't get a chance to see a major revival for a very long time?

And they wonder what is wrong with Broadway?
Go see Wicked, for ****'s sake. I hope you enjoy it!

PEACE.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#10re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/29/08 at 12:50am

I would see GYPSY.
There's also Chicago.

I don't recommend YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, I hated it.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#11re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/29/08 at 12:53am

I think you could catch a matinee of the new Kate Hudson film that opens that weekend, too!

PEACE.

PSLove302 Profile Photo
PSLove302
#12re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/29/08 at 12:55am

Why would you go see shows that you've already seen 5 and 6 times?

Idiot.

BE SMART. GO SEE GYPSY.

"I don't see that many plays, and for me, musicals are rarely pleasing. I feel the actors are being put through a kind of nightmarish labor. They're like animals being forced to pull heavy carts of vegetables at incredible speeds." --- Wallace Shawn
Updated On: 9/29/08 at 12:55 AM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#13re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/29/08 at 1:01am

"Why would you go see shows that you've already seen 5 and 6 times?

Idiot."

Although I do agree that the original poster should see Gypsy over Wicked, why is someone an idiot for seeing a show 5 or 6 times and wanting to see it again? It's not uncommon for people here to see shows multiple times, and there is nothing wrong with it. Just because it is Wicked, people have a problem.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Elphabatize Profile Photo
Elphabatize
#14re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/29/08 at 1:05am

[title of show]. It's such an amazing show and it's closing in 2 weeks whereas most of the other stuff on your list will still be around for a while.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#15re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/29/08 at 2:14am

Although I do agree that the original poster should see Gypsy over Wicked, why is someone an idiot for seeing a show 5 or 6 times and wanting to see it again? It's not uncommon for people here to see shows multiple times, and there is nothing wrong with it. Just because it is Wicked, people have a problem.

I would almost agree with you. The caliber of the performances and unique opportunity of watching this production of Gypsy, will make the OP call him/herself an idiot in a few years for missing it. It's Broadway history, and something you will never come close to watching again

And it's not because it's Wicked. Even if the original cast of Wicked came back for a single performance, the OP should see Gypsy.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 9/29/08 at 02:14 AM

HBBrock
#16re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/29/08 at 2:26am

Go see YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN!

jagfkb
#17re: AHH! Show help needed.....
Posted: 9/29/08 at 6:10am

Some things which aren't on your list... but should:
Young Frankenstein
A Tale of Two Cities
Avenue Q

From what I've heard, Christy is going to be amazing in Q, but I would definately reccomend Tale, it's like Les Miz in a whole, fresh, new way.

Videos