A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled

A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#2re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 3:31am

Writer's strike killed it; nobody remembered it after the first 8 episodes.

LimelightMike
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 3:49am

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=984831&boardname=off&dt=14&boardid=2

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

LimelightMike
#4re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 3:54am

Forgive me, ray, but I think this one deserves another thread.

geekgirl06 Profile Photo
geekgirl06
#5re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 5:19am

I was sad about Pushing Daisies... but knew it was kind of inevitable. But reading the article... Pushing Daisies, Dirty Sexy Money AND Eli Stone! WTF ABC???? I think I just died a little inside. This was a low blow, a low low blow.

Dancing through life... For the next ten minutes

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#6re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 5:26am

Dang it, geekgirl, I hadn't even read the article yet, I was still reeling from the shock. Well, not really shock since it was kind of on the bubble, but still very dissapointed. And then to read about Eli Stone as well...what is happening to original television. Plus side: this does free up Kristin Chenoweth for a show. But still!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#7re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 6:36am

We LOVED this here in the UK....im so mad

why when i look at the viewing figures for TV in the states is crap like Dancing With The Stars getting 20 million viewers when great inventive shows like PD fail?

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

#8re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 6:57am

How come the ratings weren't that strong in the UK either if it was so loved? weird...

Anyway it is sad--I liked Eli Stone and Dirty Sexy Money (I know I know) even more, I admit. Pushing Daisies was brilliantly creative, fun, and for my tastes a bit too whimsical. Plus I think it shoulda been a UK style series with a set number of episodes... But this is too bad

A Fleur De Toi Profile Photo
A Fleur De Toi
#9re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 6:58am

no no no no no.

In Soviet Russia, Wicked hates you too!

feline0favenueQ Profile Photo
feline0favenueQ
broadwayjim42
#11re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 7:45am

Predictable but still sucky.

So much for originality on television...I almost half-wish someone like Sci-Fi would pick it up...it has enough fantasy elements to be something of a fit.

ETA: Referring to "Daisies."
Updated On: 11/21/08 at 07:45 AM

Yankeefan007
#12re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 8:16am

This season wasn't nearly as good or involving as the first.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#13re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 8:20am

It's true, it wasn't as good this year as last -- but surely a sophomore slump is common enough it could have been forgiven. No, ABC killed the show by SEVERELY under promoting, and then no tdoing anything with it post-strike.

Lost remains the last bastion of creativity on ABC -- I really will boycott the channel if they mess that show up!

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#14re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 9:20am

I've been watching all three, and enjoying them a lot.

Everyone points out the theatre connections with PD, but on ELI STONE two Broadway veterans have actually had a chance to perform musical numbers - Victor Garber (original cast of SWEENEY TODD) and Loretta Devine (one of the original DREAMGIRLS).

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#15re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 9:31am

well I think ABC in general has a lot of theatre folk on their shows...

Sara Ramirez on Grey's
Vanessa Williams on Ugly Betty (although she was Miss America and had a singing career way before broadway)
and don't forget that Cheno guest starred on Ugly Betty

PLUS on Ugly Betty, they mention a lot of theatre stuff... they had a whole episode dedicated to Wicked, one night Justin auditioned for Billy Elliot, and last night they had tickets to In The Heights

so I think ABC (ESPECIALLY on Ugly Betty) Appeals to theatre folk

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#16re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 9:36am

This is terrible. I laughed my behind off this past Wednesday at Pushing Daisies. I absolutely love that show and Eli Stone.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#17re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 9:38am

ABC manages to cast a lot of B'way folk.
Ugly Betty has had Cheno, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Patti LuPone, Christian Hoff and Tyler Maynard among others.
Pushing Daisies has had Raul Esparza and Christopher Sieber.
Grey's had Bernadette Peters and Michael Arden.

This is very sad news. The second season hasn't been as good as the first, but that's to be expected. The first season was brilliant, the second was extremely good. And last night's episode was wonderful and the best so far this season. This is a huge loss for artistic integrity. By far the most original and creative show and it deserved so much better. I do believe the creator (Bryan Fuller) intends to bring it back as a comic book. Which would be nice, but it won't give us Cheno...

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

jennyish Profile Photo
jennyish
#18re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 9:39am

NOOOOOOOOOOO! Pushing Daisies was, far and away, the best show on television.

I chose, and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not.

Eponine3
#19re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 10:06am

This just makes me so sad. There is such a lack of quality television shows right now. Why cancel such a sweet show like Pushing Daisies that was so original and just a joy to watch. I really feel like boycotting ABC for the rest of the season and just not watching anything on that network.

NityaC
#20re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 10:09am

Horrid news to wake up to.

Pushing Daisies was an absolute gem. But television has made it clear that money trumps quality and art. So be it: PD can join Arrested Development in "Remember that amazing show" category.

So what's being canceled next, Doctor Who?

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#21re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 10:55am

This is very sad new, indeed. Though I have to admit being more crushed by the cancellation of ELI STONE. I love Spy Daddy/Victor Garber and it seems as though after ALIAS, he hasn't found a hit tv show.

BlueRoses321 Profile Photo
BlueRoses321
#22re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 11:00am

agreed Matty.. this is crap. Eli Stone was easily one of the best written and acted shows on tv. Jonny Lee Miller is truly amazing.

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#23re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 11:09am

I was sorry to read this this morning. Pushing Daisies was different and fun and it gave me a chance to see actors I'd enjoyed on the stage on my TV screen pretty regularly. I think the writers' strike really hurt its chances, but if ABC had done a better job of making the episodes available online for more than a few weeks at a time, more people might have had a chance to get hooked on it.

Princeton2
#24re: A Favorite Amongst Theatre Folk, PUSHING DAISIES Gets Cancelled
Posted: 11/21/08 at 11:28am

I loved Pushing Daisies when it first started here in the uk, it was so creative and different. But then I got bored, each week was the same, slight story never feeling like it was going anywhere. All style no content