Hot gossip... movie Ulla.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#0Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/12/04 at 11:57pm

A friend - of -a friend of mine ran into Nicole Kidman at a theatre opening in Sydney the other night she informed them that she is to play Ulla in the movie (musical) version of The Producers. You read it here (officially) first.

redmustang
#1re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 12:11am

Wouldn't that be a casting coup!

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#2re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 12:13am

Ulla dance for you??????

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#3re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 12:17am

Well, the source of the conversation is very reliable, trust me. This conversation took place about 48 hours ago. I think she would be good. She certainly has the height, looks and ability.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#4re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 12:18am

I would be thrilled with her as Ulla.........that woman can do ANYTHING!

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

tkts
#5re: re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 12:42am

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Cake or death?
Updated On: 1/13/04 at 12:42 AM

redmustang
#6re: re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 12:42am

I agree. Kidman can do anything. Maybe even win back-to-back Oscars(!) Wouldn't it be wonderful if she did the movie? Matthew and Nicole singing That Face. And can you imagine Nicole doing When You Got It, Flaunt It? So who gets tapped for Roger De Bris and Carmen Ghia? Do you stick with theatre actors like Gary Beach, Roger Bart or Sam Harris? Or do you take the opposite approach and keep your theatre leads (Lane and Broderick) and fill your supporting cast with movie stars. Kidman as Ulla. What about Johnny Depp as Carmen Ghia. Or maybe Jude Law. Would Tom Hanks consider Roger De Bris? Would Mel Brooks consider Tom Hanks?

MyQueenPattiLupone Profile Photo
MyQueenPattiLupone
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 1:28am

I'm agreeing with Tkts big "Noooooo". What was so wonderful about Moulin Rouge? Personally it made my skin crawl and didn't think Kidman's voice was a force to be reckoned with or dazzling in the least. The only thing redeeming about it for me was Baz Luhrmann's direction.

I Love Rick Lyon ::Sigh::

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 1:34am

Great. Now someone tell me why this thread is on a long line format and I have to scoll from right to left to read a post?

PEACE.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 1:43am

I don't think Nicole can sing the part. She can carry a tune, yes, but what about "Ulla belt for you"? If Moulin Rouge is anything to go off of, she just can't sing the role how it needs to be done.

Gatesy2 Profile Photo
Gatesy2
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 1:45am

IF Nicole Kidman got Ulla, that would more than likely mean a drastic re-write of the script to include more Ulla. You don't have a star like Nicole Kidman in half the movie. And I personally think the movie should stick to it's original stage stars. Lane and Broderick I think would be enough to sell on screen. If they're not going to stay with the original cast though, I would love to see Eddie Izzard as Carmen Ghia. That man is funny in anything he does.

etoile
#11 Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 2:46am

Well, SueLeenGay, not to point fingers but only to answer your question I would guess that possibly someone added about 120 too many "o"s in their post. And how wonderful when someone realizes that and uses the edit feature to correct the problem.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#12re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 3:19am

There is not a chance in hell this bit of casting will happen.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#13re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 7:27am

Yes, this will happen. The words came from Nicole's mouth. Yes she can sing it, she might need some work on the dancing though, and she can do comedy. Eddie Izzard would make a terrific Roger with Jude Law as Carmen.

sheekala
#14re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 7:57am

This matches what I've heard as far as casting, look for major stars to sign on, they want in on this one...Travolta as Roger Debris, hmmmm.

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum Bring gloom down to the minimum Have faith or pandemonium's Liable to walk upon the scene

#15re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 8:52am

Let's look at the logistics of this situation:

A post on an Internet message board that begins with "A friend of a friend" claims that an Oscar-winning actress said to (someone whom I'm assuming is) a perfect stranger that she will be the female lead in the film version of a record-breaking, "smash-hit" musical. However, not only have no other sources of entertainment news mentioned this, but a Google search of "Nicole Kidman Producers Movie" didn't reveal any other sources saying this. Hmm....

Moreover, this is Nicole Kidman. After the publicity she got from her divorce, she of all people should, and probably does, know better than to talk openly in public, especially about something as big as an upcoming project. Why would she freely drop that information at an event when it hasn't been formally announced? If she were contracted to play Ulla, I'd doubt even her goldfish would find out before the AP. And if she were contracted to play Ulla, that would be the entertainment news story that everyone would jump on. It's Nicole Kidman.

Which is probably also why I doubt she'll sign on. As Gatesy said, you don't have a star like Nicole Kidman in half the movie. What Brooks will probably do is cast a pretty up-and-coming blonde in hopes that The Producers will catapult her to stardom.

But, of course, that's just my opinion.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#16re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 8:55am

If Kidman said that, then she is having an evil joke on Matthew Broderick. From all reports, the two did not get along on the STEPFORD WIVES set, and I can't see Matthew allowing her the role.

I'm of mixed feelings regarding the proposed superstar supporting cast. One one level, this AUSTIN POWERS approach will definitely bring in many more millions. But personally I think it would be a shame if Cady, Brad, Roger and particuarly Gary were left out of the deal.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

sparky310 Profile Photo
sparky310
#17re: re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 2:05pm

EEWWWWW

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 2:33pm

Can Matthew Broderick make that sort of casting decision?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 2:42pm

Normally no. I think if it were any other film, and Nicole wanted to be in it, it would be bye bye Matthew. The Producers might be the one and only time Matt has that kind of power. And I doubt he would even have it in this case.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 3:02pm

Even so, I would think it highly unprofessional. Actors have to work with people they don't like all the time. To try and keep someone from getting cast in a role based on conflict of personality is the behavior of a diva. Broderick doesn't strike me as the type to pull that kind of childish stunt. Most likely, though the drooling producers of The Producers would bend over backwards to any demands made by Lane and Broderick just to keep them in the project.

Ugh! And I just ate....

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

WOSQ
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 4:17pm

The economics of Nicole Kidman as Ulla strike me as improbable. Songs can be rewritten, dances restaged and everyone knows almost anything can be made to look good in an editing room, but Her star is too big for the show. Kidman's salary would be equal to Nathan and Matthew's put together.

Someone's leg might be getting pulled here.

Besides Connie Stevens and Suzanne Sommers have expressed an interest in the role, and they will work for a lot less.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 4:43pm

No Producers movie...
Leave it on Broadway!

"They hear drums. We hear music."

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 4:53pm

"Besides Connie Stevens and Suzanne Sommers have expressed an interest in the role, and they will work for a lot less."

You're joking right?

CaTheatreGirl Profile Photo
CaTheatreGirl
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Hot gossip... movie Ulla.
Posted: 1/13/04 at 5:29pm

I don't think the casting of Nicole as Ulla is going to happen and some before me have given valid reasons. Beware of the "friend of a friend said" gossip talk. I think many are getting carried away with the mega-star casting ideas. It's unlikely ANY decision has been made yet on who will play the other roles. They've just recenlty announced the movie and the two leads were to be expected. By the way, Mel LOVES Nathan and Matthew. HE might be sensitive about casting someone if there might be a conflict in some way. If he has his say, he'll want his boys to be happy. Updated On: 1/13/04 at 05:29 PM

Videos