pixeltracker

Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?

Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?

nickip Profile Photo
nickip
#1Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 10:01pm

Hey everyone! Sorry to add another post about the crazy Legally Blonde tour but I saw the opening performance last night in East Lansing, and went to the cast party at a local restaurant. There are some other things going on behind the scenes, some of which I'm sure you know. Anyway here we go.

Review:
Laura Bell was in fact on as Elle, and she was a little sick, but cute and impressive as always. During "Serious" her dress got stuck to the chair and she ripped part of it! Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up? She said some lines low to save her voice and they came out funny. "Maybe not to yo' face," she said in a "ghetto" voice. Little things like that gave her performance a little quirk. I noticed a few lyric and line changes (I assume these are in all of the tour shows). Notably, about Vivian in "Positive." There were a TON of understudies. I don't remember most but I know Tiffany Engan was added to the swing, and there was a delta-nu track empty (they used a handbag as the "S" when they spelled ELLE WOODS). Over all, I thought the show was pretty smooth, although I missed some things from the original Broadway run (sets and such).

The "Cast Party" was pretty cool. Laura Bell was a little passive, trying not to talk and such to save her voice. She said it was cool to be back in the role, but weird. Lauren Zakrin is a friend of a friend of mine, and she was so happy to be home in Michigan! She went home for the first time in 6 months! She was just adorable! (And amazing in the show. She is that ensemble member that catches your eye.) Becky and Paul Cannan were there, too!

News:
At the cast party we got an awesome chance to meet the cast, so all of this is straight from the inside. Laura Bell Bundy is going to be Elle, until this Friday. All of the weekend show's will have Lauren Ashley Zakrin as Elle. Rihannon is definitely out for most of the St. Louis run. I don't know if a lot of you know this, but there is a workshop "Take It From The Top" where Laura Bell and Paul Cannan show people how to prepare an audition. Laura told us Becky G. would be doing this for the East Lansing stop, as Laura is in the show.

Questions:
So here are the questions I'm posing. Just bare with me, and think about these things. I'm not trying to make anyone look bad, just trying to figure this out!
A- Rihannon is out, broke her tibia. But then why is Lauren (the Margot u/s), not going on as Margot? My guess is because they know she will (and has) gone on as Elle.
B- Why is Laura not doing the workshop? I heard she was playing Elle simply because she was already in East Lansing for the workshop. But now Becky is doing it. I assume the pressure of both was just too much.
C- Why did LBB come back? Not that I didn't love seeing her again, but she just seems done with this role. I think it might have something to do with the TV show, and it closing on Broadway, and the tour needing help.
Any Ideas?

WHOA! OK, that was far too long! Hope this clears some things up. I'm going to see Lauren as Elle on Sunday. I'll keep you posted!

-Nick

BNN
#2re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 10:05pm

I can answer why Laura came back, it's a job, she knows it, and it's easier than finding someone knew to play the part or teaching it to someone else. Plus, she was nominated for a Tony, so there's some kind of credibility there plus it's fun for people who wanted to but never got a chance to see her in the role have their opportunity.

Tick Tock

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#2re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 10:08pm

...and there was a delta-nu track empty (they used a handbag as the "S" when they spelled ELLE WOODS).

fyi that's supposed to be like that- it's one of the changes they made from Broadway to the tour.

ejgirls89
#3re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 10:08pm

Thanks for the great review! :) There have been a lot of changes in the tour, including the 'S' in woods spelled with a bag. I'm glad Becky is still with them, was she on crutches? Was everyone really stressed out? I'll try to answer some of your questions:

A- Alex Ellis is the Margot u/s, not Lauren. Lauren is just the Elle u/s.
B- I assume its because she is doing the show. Becky will be great, though!
C- I think because its a job, and its not for a year, but only for six weeks [or however long Becky is out]. They needed another Elle, in case Lauren gets sick or hurts herself, and who knows the sequence and can learn faster than LBB.

--jen--

nickip Profile Photo
nickip
#4re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 10:09pm

OH! I didn't know about the "S"! I thought it was kind of cute.
I don't think Becky was on crutches, at least not in the restaurant.

-Nick
Updated On: 1/14/09 at 10:09 PM

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#5re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 10:12pm

"A- Alex Ellis is the Margot u/s, not Lauren. Lauren is just the Elle u/s. "

no no, she is the understudy for both Margot and Elle

nickip Profile Photo
nickip
#6re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 10:12pm

And Lauren and Alex are both Margot u/s, but it would make since because Lauren is Elle often.

-Nick

ejgirls89
#7re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 10:13pm

Oh, I didnt know that! I think shes the 1st elle u/s and the 2nd margot u/s [and Rhiannon was the 2nd elle u/s]

--jen--

sgv123
#8re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 10:27pm

Well if Lauren went on for Margot who would go on for Elle before Laura could get there?

nickip Profile Photo
nickip
#9re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 10:45pm

"Well if Lauren went on for Margot who would go on for Elle before Laura could get there?"

Lauren and Lauren as Elle and Margot! Haha jokes. I meant when LBB was in it. But it makes since that there are two Margot u/s.

-Nick

Azuah. Profile Photo
Azuah.
#10re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 10:46pm

since Lauren is 1st understudy for Elle, she has to go on.
I'm guessing that Alex Ellis is 1st u/s Margot, but fyi, Lauren did get to play Margot for a weekend I think in DC..

oh, and thank you for the review! :)

Updated On: 1/14/09 at 10:46 PM

Steam Heat2 Profile Photo
Steam Heat2
#11re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 11:09pm

I live in St. Louis, and I was just wondering if anybody knew if LBB was doing any of the St. Louis run? It's here from Jan. 20- Feb 1.

Guess what? I have flaws. What are they? Oh I don't know... I sing in the shower. Sometimes I spend too much time volunteering. Occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car. So sue me. No, don't sue me... that's the opposite of the point I'm trying to make.

skb2010 Profile Photo
skb2010
#12re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 11:13pm

Possible dumb question:

So do they just use semi's and buses to get from city to city, or do the actors fly?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I? I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

nickip Profile Photo
nickip
#13re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 11:13pm

The rumor is Becky is out for 6 weeks. Laura has just started this week. So I'm assuming LBB will be playing there. She and Lauren will be alternating, is my guess.

-Nick

skander2 Profile Photo
skander2
#14re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/14/09 at 11:44pm

don't know about LBB, but Zakrin is definitely doing the first week in St. Louis

theminutepast
#15re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/15/09 at 9:39am

AskPlaybill answered that question about national tours. Cast and crew fly to the destination while the sets and costumes travel by bus.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#16re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/15/09 at 9:58am

Some actors do drive.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#17re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/15/09 at 10:39am

Most of this cast carpools together.

theminutepast
#18re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/15/09 at 11:34am

I'm surprised. The tour cities are far apart. I'd much rather fly than drive from St. Louis to Houston or Houston to Orlando.

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#19re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/15/09 at 1:42pm

I had always heard that if it's a driveable distance then the cast gets bussed. If not they fly. Not sure about the Blonde tour specifically...but thats what I've been told of other tours.

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

Byron Abens
#20re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/15/09 at 1:44pm

A lot of theatre people get tired of flying, believe it or not. Part of the fun of being on the road is traveling and seeing the country. It's far more fun and exciting driving a few hundred miles with a group of friends than sitting on a plane with half a can of Coke and a few ice cubes.

And of course they are not going to be doing every drive. But something like East Lansing to St. Louis can be done pretty easily in a day, especially if you have a couple of people to share driving responsibility.

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#21re: Legally Blonde Tour (with LBB) Review/ Questions/ News/ Round up?
Posted: 1/15/09 at 1:59pm

The current theatre website says LBB is going to perform all the weekend shows except for Sunday 1/18.

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#22legally blind toureg drivers chase lbb into my arms
Posted: 1/15/09 at 2:28pm

that's the day she rests, fm. in my arms.

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

nickip Profile Photo
nickip
#23legally blind toureg drivers chase lbb into my arms
Posted: 1/15/09 at 2:31pm

"The current theatre website says LBB is going to perform all the weekend shows except for Sunday 1/18."
Lauren told me personally she was doing the Sat (1/17) show, too.

-Nick

travelgirl27
#24legally blind toureg drivers chase lbb into my arms
Posted: 1/15/09 at 3:13pm

"Lauren told me personally she was doing the Sat (1/17) show, too."

Both Sat shows? I have tickets to the matinee and am hoping to see Lauren go on as Elle.

Videos