pixeltracker

AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New George Bush' Contest- Page 2

AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New George Bush' Contest

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#25re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/16/09 at 5:57pm

"This Show" is the best.

they're making fun of themselves, the economy, and Broadway all at the same time.

it's the best... there's no question.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#26re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/16/09 at 6:32pm

Wasn't there a rule it had to be two syllables? Also, Prop 8 is something tons would have submitted...are they just going to go with whoever submitted it first? You think they'd go with things a little less obvious...

I like "This show" best.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

ifuweregay93
#27re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/16/09 at 6:43pm

"All I saw was their logo and "AVENUE Q Annouces .... 4" and I was like... ****."

Same here. I just thought "OH SH*T!!"

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
#28re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/16/09 at 6:45pm

I agree with Charleston - "This show" is the best.
Updated On: 1/17/09 at 06:45 PM

Mattbrain
#29re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/16/09 at 6:46pm

For a second, I thought it was a closing notice too.

That said, I'd go with Prop 8.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#30re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/16/09 at 6:46pm

I'm calling shenanigans on this -- Recession breaks the rules of two syllables (as does "your mother-in-law"). What's the point of rules for a contest if the winners don't have to abide by them?

Besides, 2000 entries and those are the most original? Prop 8 and "this show" were two of the first things that popped into my head.

For such a creative show, what a disappointment!

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

cab832 Profile Photo
cab832
#31re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/16/09 at 6:53pm

I think "this show" is the best choice.

Would I rather be feared or loved? Um, easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.- Michael Scott, The Office

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#32re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/16/09 at 6:55pm

The best one of the four is "this show". "Prop 8" and "recession", depending on how long the show lasts, are too fleeting. And I have no idea how they're going to fit "your mother in law" into the verse. Too many syllables.

I like "ice caps"! Or "the war". Or "your youth"! The four picked out are really nothing special, and half don't even fit the specifications.

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#33re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/16/09 at 6:57pm

I agree that some of those lines seem fishy, like recession and mother-in-law (which isn't even that funny, but whatever). They'll probably just come up with their own, better line.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.
Updated On: 1/16/09 at 06:57 PM

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#34re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/16/09 at 7:46pm

I think it would be funnier if it was 'Gay Rights are only For Now'. I'm not homophobic or anything (:P), I just think with Prop 8 and all that would be funnier.

But between those 4 I'd say 'This show'.

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

#35re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/16/09 at 8:28pm

Prop 8, ftw.

I mean seriously. think of the response it would get.
agreed on the too-many-syllables argument. "recession" & "your mother-in-law" are out.
and I just don't think "this show" is all that funny.

LifeofTheParty2 Profile Photo
LifeofTheParty2
#36re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/16/09 at 9:46pm

I don't know what I was expecting, I just thought the finalists would be more creative than this. *sigh*

that said, I like Prop 8 but they'll probably go with this show. As long as it's not "your mother-in-law."

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#37re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/16/09 at 11:21pm

I agree with the general opinon that "mother in law" isn't clever and has too many syllables, "Prop 8" is the best but "This Show" is the frontrunner and flat out funniest.

I actually like one of the runners up the best: ice caps. Now that I saw that I wish I'd had the idea to submit "polar bears", perfect dark humor for the show.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#38re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/16/09 at 11:42pm

I'm sure that whenever they post a closing notice they will use "this show" but not until then

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#39re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/17/09 at 1:48am

"This Show!" was mine! I'm so glad so many of you like it. Although, i can't imagine they didn't get a BUNCH of other people who said the same thing, so I'm kind of wondering about the whole "first one to suggest it" thing myself. I submitted a second one but for the life of me can't remember what it was.

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

jejr
#40re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/17/09 at 12:03pm

I don't think Prop * is really a good choice as most of the general public outside of California know what it is. "recession" and mother-in-law seem to be those that most people would recognize. Maybe "gas prices" would also work.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#41re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/17/09 at 1:17pm

Broadway Bob, I also submitted "this show."

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

skander2 Profile Photo
skander2
sparrman
#43re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/17/09 at 6:49pm

I don't understand why one of the four choices isn't the most obvious choice of all...and for that matter, why it hasn't been mentioned in this thread: "Obama". (Or maybe "Barack" for the two syllables.) For the record, I'm excited about Obama...but I'm also excited about sex and my hair, the two things mentioned previously in the lyric. The song's lyrics clearly point out that both good things and bad things are only for now. So I think they should just fill in the name of the current president from this point out, whether he's popular or unpopular.

But of the four choices, definitely "this show", which I suggested on this board well before there ever was a contest.

pdjennings Profile Photo
pdjennings
#44re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/19/09 at 12:35pm

wow -- i sent in "Prop 8" too ... i wonder how they're working that ... first one in, or if perhaps we all might win. It's a "small" enough prize that they could easily be sending out a bunch of them. I didn't get an email or phone call or anything. did we have submit a mailing address when we entered? I don't remember.

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#45re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/19/09 at 12:56pm

I sent in "this show", too. As did the majority of the people who entered I presume.

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#46re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/19/09 at 1:06pm

"Mother-in-Law" would be hilarious if this were the Poconos in 1957. Laura Petrie would be so tickled!

"DOMA" should be on that list.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

#47re: AVENUE Q Announces Replacement 4 'Possible' New Lyrics For 'The New Geo
Posted: 1/21/09 at 11:17pm

Sorry if it's already been discussed, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. Did anyone see the show yesterday/today, and what were the lyrics? Did they use "this show"? How was the audience reaction?