Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#50re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 9:51am

LEGALLY BLONDE
DROWSY CHAPERONE
PIRATE QUEEN

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#51re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 10:13am

I love obscure musicals, foreign musicals, concept recordings, etc, but there are a few that stump me...one is Wuthering Heights which is mentioned before in this thread. DREADFUL!

Worse than that is "In Spite of Reason" which is a noisy rock opera/musical about Abe Lincoln's presidency during the Civil War. The singing is putrid.
http://www.sparxecho.com/

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#52re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 10:14am

Drowsy Chaperone
Cantebury Tales
Take Me Along
Brklyn
Wild Party, Little Fish, Bernarda Alba, Hello Again, Marie Christine (All Lachuisa)

....but the world goes 'round

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#53re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 10:22am

I have to add here that some of you naming some mainstream stuff as "the worst you've heard" really need to expand into some of the lesser known stuff (ie Wuthering Heights or In Spite of Reason). There are some REALLY bad musicals that have been recording - whatever you may think of Side Show or Titanic - they're freaking Sweeney Todd next to some of the crap that's out there.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#54re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 10:29am

Taz...my heart broke when you listed Canterbury Tales...one of my favorite 60's flops.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

husk_charmer
#55re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 10:41am

I am so glad to know I am not the only one who owns Wuthering Heights...thankfully I think I paid a grand total of $5.50 for it. Definitely under $10.

Part of my problem is, I want it all. So even if it's a show I *don't* like, I'll eventually buy it for one of two reasons:
a) Completeness
b) the hope I might eventually like it.

That said, some shows I will not buy with my own money.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#56re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 10:50am

I have a few...

LaChiusa's FIRST LADY SUITE
THE WOMAN IN WHITE
A CATERED AFFAIR
Lippa's THE WILD PARTY

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#57re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 10:52am

I'm actually glad I bought "The Woman In White," because there are several songs I really like on there, and I love just popping in the CD and listening to it straight through-- it's like a crazy mystery radio drama that happens to be sung. But I was really, really, really, really underwhelmed with Michael Crawford's Count Fosco. I just wanted to skip through everything he sang, which was a pity because I LOVE Fosco and I adore the song "You Can Get Away With Anything" (definitely my favourite ALW song).

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#58re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 11:00am

Be careful, people. It's my experience - and everyone's I'm sure - that a lot of OCRs don't attract the ear on first or second playing, lay around unheard for a while, then get replayed - and ENJOYED! For me, Amour was like that and so was Side Show which I now play all the time. I don't regret any show CD I've purchased.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#59re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 11:08am

I've had several cast recording grow on me after awhile....Cabaret was one of them. When I first got it, I hated it...but then I saw the show and enjoyed the songs more, probably because I could put them in context and such. I also disliked [title of show] as well until I saw the show. That, for me, was a time when I definitely needed to see the show to appreciate the recording.

That being said, I never listen to the Drowsy Chaperone. The show itself is a delight to watch, but outside of the stage, the recording makes very little sense.

And a few mentions of Wuthering Heights...I actually picked up this recording at the Boston Public Library last weekend but haven't had a chance to pop it in the CD player yet. Should I just return it without a listen, lol? :)

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#60re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 11:16am

Spamalot. With the exception of one or two songs, I hate it.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

SporkGoddess
#61re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 12:14pm

Odd, I LOVE My Life With Albertine.

As for Bombay Dreams, I got it from the library to listen to so I didn't spend a dime on it. Mwahaha.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 1/27/09 at 12:14 PM

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#62re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 12:16pm

Nefertiti
Musical Chairs
Doonsbury
Corkscrew

husk_charmer
#63re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 12:19pm

jenna-
No no no, listen. It's full of LOLS.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

J-phantom Profile Photo
J-phantom
#64re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 1:34pm

the Gypsy revival cast recording
I bought it off i tunes just becuz it was $5.84, all 24 tracks

Jade Profile Photo
Jade
#65re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 1:36pm

Evita 20th Anniversary recording - I didn't realise it had Colm Wilkinson as Che. I must be one of the only people in the world who doesn't like his voice.

Woman in White - only about 2 songs on it that I actually like.

I've also got a bunch of foreign cast recordings of Rent, in lanuguages that I can't understand, that I listened to once and haven't taken out of the box since.

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#66re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 1:50pm

lol, husk_charmer, I definitely will. I checked out the recording because I fell in love with the book in high school. I did think if it was an awesome musical, though, I'd have heard of it before :).

And, Jade, you are not the only person that doesn't care from Colm Wilkinson's voice. I'm not really a fan either. I can appreciate him in Les Mis because I do like his acting choices and I do think his voice works in "Bring Him Home" but overall, I can't listen to anything else he has recorded. I can't imagine him as Che. (But then again, I am a Mandy Patinkin as Che fan, love his "And the Money Kept Rolling In")

taximom
#67re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 3:22pm

Bye Bye Birdie ... awful.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#68re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 3:42pm

doodle - I also love Canterbury Tales. Especially I am All A-Blaze and Love Will Conquer All. It is one of those flop CDs I cherish up there with All American and Goldilocks. But then, I also adore Bombay Dreams, Bye Bye Birdie, and much of LaChiusa's works, so what do I know?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
#69re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 4:54pm

My Life with Albertine
Little Fish
See What I Want to See
The Bakers Wife (London cast)
Company (1995 revival)
Divorce Me Darling
DuBarry Was a Lady (film)
Evil Dead: the Musical
Evita (London revival)
House of Flowers
Jekyll & Hyde - Resurrection
Kiss of the Spider Woman (Vanessa version)
Legs Diamond (sound quality is CRAP!)
Pinafore! (LA Gay Men's Chorus version)
The Woman in White

"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#70re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 5:00pm

Promenade
New Girl In Town
Which Witch
Bombay Dreams

I'm sorry about Cantebury Tales doodle. Maybe I just don't "get" it.

Oh, and what's that one, also from the 60s. It's one of those rock musicals and the cover is a cross with bulbs all around it.
Awful.

I also collect like most of you guys so I dont regret buying any of these, but some of them are just bad bad bad.

....but the world goes 'round

metropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
#71re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 5:26pm

the new recording of Assassins..that whole thing just neeeds to be burned. I still love the OCR.

The Papermill recording of Follies....just ew

The new Gypsy cast, it REALLY does nothing to help the reputation of the cast...biggest ew song Momma Get Married

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#72re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 5:42pm

I thought I was the only person who preferred the original cast of Assassins-- and I'm a fan of NPH and James Barbour! (Well, of JB's VOICE, at least.)

But I actually really like the new cast of Gypsy's rendition of "It Mama Was Married." It's my favorite song on the CD.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

binau Profile Photo
binau
#73re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 5:46pm

No schmerg it seems the general consensus is the OCR is better, however, I'm surprised about all the hate towards the Broadway recording, I mean, it isn't that bad at all.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#74re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought
Posted: 1/27/09 at 5:58pm

Taz - You're thinking of Salvation. There ain't no flies on Jesus!

New Girl in Town is pretty forgettable, but I do love the opening number, Roll Yer Socks Up. That particular melody is infectious. The rest is...eh.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 1/27/09 at 05:58 PM