What show to see?!

STUCKinOH Profile Photo
STUCKinOH
#1What show to see?!
Posted: 4/5/09 at 12:38am

I am coming to New York in June with my friend and I want to see a couple shows. I love musicals but my friend actually "hates" them but agrees to see them since I really want to... We're going to see 2 shows. We already have NEXT TO NORMAL tickets.. but what is one other show that my friend will enjoy? I need a show that will entertain as well as impress.
THANKS

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2re: What show to see?!
Posted: 4/5/09 at 1:06am

Well, out of the straight plays, I'd recommend AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY as the first pick. Or REASONS TO BE PRETTY.

Both offer highly discounted tickets and are fantastic.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#2re: What show to see?!
Posted: 4/5/09 at 1:08am

'God of Carnage' got rave reviews and is hilarious.

Most people who typically don't love musicals tend to enjoy Wicked somewhat...

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#3re: What show to see?!
Posted: 4/5/09 at 2:03am

How about Toxic Avenger? My younger brother hates musicals but he's actually talking about wanting to see that one.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: What show to see?!
Posted: 4/5/09 at 2:14am

AVENUE Q, I think, would be appropriate. Or IN THE HEIGHTS.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5re: What show to see?!
Posted: 4/5/09 at 7:40am

I'll second seeing August. A fabulous theatrical non-musical experience. It's amazing....I just saw it again a few weeks ago. Funny and disturbing all at the same time.

Go before it closes!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#6re: What show to see?!
Posted: 4/5/09 at 9:25am

i dont know enough abotu your friend or you but judging from what you wrote I agree with capnhook, Avenue Q or In the Heights should be a good time.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#7re: What show to see?!
Posted: 4/5/09 at 9:27am

or hair

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

PiraguaGuy2
#8re: What show to see?!
Posted: 4/5/09 at 9:27am

In the Heights

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

AndAllThatJazz22
#9re: What show to see?!
Posted: 4/5/09 at 9:37am

Since you already have next to normal, I would not see August or Irena. Next to Normal is a big downer, it's a very depressing show. August deals with lots of material that is very rough to watch (even though they do a good job of making it humorous). Irena also deals with very depressing subject matter. You wouldn't want your friend thinking broadway is just depressing! Go see a funny play like Exit the King, or Reasons to be Pretty. If you decide a musical, In the Heights would be an ideal choice.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#10re: What show to see?!
Posted: 4/5/09 at 11:10am

August or In The Heights. Have fun!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

zoraksferal Profile Photo
zoraksferal
#11re: What show to see?!
Posted: 4/5/09 at 8:12pm

If you are going for impressing someone who isn't too in to musicals, I have to suggest Wicked. It is certainly one of the more, if nothing else, visually impressive shows. Metallic dragons with smoke, flying bubble, talking OZ head, the entirety of the Emerald City scene. It is a spectacle.

"It doesn't work when you lick it!"

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#12re: What show to see?!
Posted: 4/5/09 at 8:17pm

I would say Wicked too, if you have a feeling your friend is hard to please. I agree with WishingOnlyWounds2. I have a feeling people hard to please tend to enjoy Wicked.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#13re: What show to see?!
Posted: 4/5/09 at 8:18pm

In The Heights
Hair
August Osage County