pixeltracker

The "What Should I See?" Megathread

The "What Should I See?" Megathread

PiraguaGuy2
#1The "What Should I See?" Megathread
Posted: 4/22/09 at 10:04pm

Because there are four of these threads a day.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#2re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/22/09 at 10:33pm

My default answer to everyone currently: The Norman Conquests

enroutetothesky Profile Photo
enroutetothesky
#2re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/22/09 at 10:36pm

Next to Normal!

#3re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/22/09 at 10:39pm

Rock of Ages

next...

theminutepast
#4re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/23/09 at 11:20am

Alright, I'll ask. We are going to be in New York this summer for a few days. We're going to see In The Heights, but we are conflicted about what else to see. Which should we see: Billy Elliot, West Side Story, or South Pacific?

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#5re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/23/09 at 1:04pm

I haven't seen West Side Story or South Pacific (both on my to-see list next time), but I really enjoyed Billy Elliot and frankly thought it was one of the first shows I'd seen in ages that was worth full price. But the word of South Pacific doesn't sound like you'd be disappointed there, either.

It can depend on what type of show you want. BE has fantastic choreography that is first and foremost, the star of the show. The story also pulls at your heartstrings. South Pacific and West Side Story have classic stories and scores with haunting melodies. WSS also has great choreography, though I've heard it has been changed slightly (as I haven't seen it yet, I can't offer an opinion, but you'll find plenty of others on this board).

Geridith Profile Photo
Geridith
#6re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/23/09 at 2:20pm

My current top 3 recommendations are:

Billy Elliot
Hair
Next to Normal

and for a previous season show: In the Heights

clever name Profile Photo
clever name
#7re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/23/09 at 2:36pm

Next to Normal

WishingOnlyWounds2
#8re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/23/09 at 2:44pm

Billy Elliot

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

Christina  Cooper Profile Photo
Christina Cooper
#9re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/24/09 at 3:00am

Quick question.. Does anyone know why 9 to 5 is having a 2:00 show on Wednesday ( i think the dates the 11th) I know its three days after the Tony's. Do you guys think that Steph, and Megan will be there??

"It's terrible to have a house fall on you, it is, but accidents will happen"

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#10re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/24/09 at 9:25am

Next to Normal and 9 to 5.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

theminutepast
#11re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/24/09 at 10:37am

Jenna, you basically summarized my thoughts on what to see of those three. That's why I can't make up my mind.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#12re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/24/09 at 11:22am

"Quick question.. Does anyone know why 9 to 5 is having a 2:00 show on Wednesday ( i think the dates the 11th) I know its three days after the Tony's. Do you guys think that Steph, and Megan will be there??"

Why wouldn't they be there. If it's right after the Tonys they would be there, the a prime time for this show. And it's Tonys, not "Tony's"

And why do you find it weird that they are having a matinee on Wednesday? Almost all shows have a show that day, Wicked must not...

MrJNLong
#13re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/25/09 at 7:45pm

OK, so here's my dilemna...will be in New York for about 10 days over the Tonys...will be able to see 13 shows. Planning on seeing Billy Elliot, Next to Normal, West Side, Exit the King, Happiness, Blithe Spirit, 12th Night, Mary Stuart, one of the Norman Conquests, 9 to 5, and Rock of Ages (just cause its the only new show on Monday nights). So I have two more slots (or 3 if I do the Saturday NC marathon). I'm trying to choose between Hair, Shrek, Waiting for Godot, Desire Under the Elms, Our Town, or the other 2 Norman plays. What do you think?
If I'm already seeing one of the Norman plays, is it worth missing out on one of those other shows to see the other two?
Thoughts?

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#14re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/25/09 at 9:22pm

I'm a little confused by your post. How do you have an extra slot if you do the marathon?

That said, see the full marathon of shows. Its a once in a lifetime experience.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#15re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/25/09 at 9:30pm

"If I'm already seeing one of the Norman plays, is it worth missing out on one of those other shows to see the other two?"

None of the Norman shows should be missed. Almost all of the critics singled out the fact that, while the do work well separate, this is certainly a trilogy that is not to be missed.

I went into one show skeptical, and by the time the show was over, I had tickets to the other two. So if you are tentative, I would say get at least a ticket for one of the shows, but keep the other slots open, because you will most likely want to go back for more. But I suggest getting tickets to the lot

WishingOnlyWounds2
#16re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 4/29/09 at 3:17pm

How is Chicago right now? It's one of the only musicals I haven't seen and want to see.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#17look
Posted: 4/29/09 at 3:17pm

a muzzleflash.

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#18look
Posted: 4/29/09 at 3:24pm

Chicago is good. See it in your lifetime.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

WishingOnlyWounds2
#19look
Posted: 4/29/09 at 3:35pm

I think I might do Chicago.

What's better?

First row (BB) center orchestra or Row J center Orchestra?

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#20look
Posted: 4/29/09 at 3:48pm

Row BB

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#21look
Posted: 4/29/09 at 3:53pm

I did enjoy Chicago when I saw it, so I say go for it. I'm just not sure what the current cast is like.

Does anyone know if it is easy or hard to get rush tickets for "reasons to be pretty?" I know it isn't selling well at all right now, but that still doesn't mean that rush seats are easy to get. I just hope the show stays open long enough to see it.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

katie2
#22look
Posted: 4/29/09 at 4:32pm

The current cast of Chicago is really good. Amra-Faye Wright is a fantastic Velma!

idunno
#23re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 5/1/09 at 6:30pm

Was wondering if 39 Steps is thought to still be good. Its one of the shows I missed last year. Do you all recommend it or think its better to stick with the new shows this year.

beltingbaritone Profile Photo
beltingbaritone
#24re: The 'What Should I See?' Megathread
Posted: 5/1/09 at 6:44pm

I actually do have a question, too. I have NEVER seen an Off-Broadway show, and I would love too save a little money by going to an Off-Broadway musical (I like plays, but I'd rather see a musical). Any suggestions and general tips? I've heard great things about "Rooms" so I was looking into that.

Men don't even belt.
Updated On: 5/1/09 at 06:44 PM

Videos