What shows to see???

Christina  Cooper Profile Photo
Christina Cooper
#1What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 1:28am

I'm going to New York the week after the Tony's and I need to choose two shows to see. I love wicked.. so that's questionable. I already saw 9 to 5 in LA, but I really enjoyed it, and I heard they changed it up a bit.. And I really really want to see In the Heights, but I know that the OBC is gone. So, is it even worth it?? Is there any show that I'm not considering that I have to see?? thanks for your input!

"It's terrible to have a house fall on you, it is, but accidents will happen"

heo1128
#2re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 1:38am

Next to Normal!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 1:53am

It's amazing to me how people will only go see shows with the OBC. It's so ridiculous to me. I mean, yes, names draw people in, but it should really be the SHOW you want to see, I think, and not the performers in it (unless it is a concert or the like, obviously).

GYPSY without LuPone or Bernie is still ****ing GYPSY!!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#3re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 7:41am

I saw In The Heights this past Saturday. Not ALL of the original cast is gone ~ really just three of the "majors" right now. It is still amazing. Javier is spectacular as Usnavi.

That said, I second next to normal!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#4re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 7:43am

You are wondering if In the Heights is worth it without the original cast, yet you are still considering Wicked long after the original cast have left?

Of course it doesn't matter.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#5re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 7:58am

That is pretty ironic Mark_E. Excellent point. At least In The Heights still has some of their original cast.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#6re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 8:01am

Next to Normal or West Side Story.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

TMedeiros17 Profile Photo
TMedeiros17
#7re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 10:43am

Here are my suggestions on shows:

9 to 5
Wicked (no duh)
In The Heights
Next to Normal
Shrek
West Side Story

Shows: Wicked 9.20.08; Wicked 3.14.09; Wicked 4.11.09; Cats 10.27.09; Legally Blonde 11.25.09; Chicago 11.27.09; Wicked 11.27.09; The Color Purple 12.1.09; Wicked 3.25.10; Wicked 3.26.10; Wicked 3.27.10; Wicked 3.28.10; Wicked 4.2.10; Wicked 4.3.10 (Evening and Matinee); Wicked 4.9.10; Wicked 4.10.10; Wicked 4.11.10; The Color Purple 4.24.10;

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#8re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 12:37pm

In the Heights still has the majority of the original cast, and the few who were not part of the OBC are still excellent. I wouldn't skip it.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#9re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 1:29pm

People can be so stupid when thinking the OBC is the only cast that make the show watchable. Of course it's worth it.

Josh Freilich
#10re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 2:12pm

I agree, Drunk Chita Rivera. It is worth it on so many levels, and it doesn't matter if the OBC isn't there, it's still a GREAT SHOW. SEE IT.

...Along with 9 to 5, Shrek, Next to Normal, West Side, Wicked, and Hair.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

katie2
#11re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 5:23pm

Repeating what others have said, Next to Normal.

I liked Shrek too.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#12re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 5:57pm

Billy Elliot
9 to 5
Hair

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#13re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 7:00pm

I'm going to recommend In the Heights too. It's a good show, and as mentioned, most of the original cast is still in it. I can't wait to see it again in June.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

jdrama
#14re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 7:06pm

I would see either:

-Billy Elliot
-Next to Normal
-Wicked
-In the Heights
-West Side Story
-Shrek
-South Pacific

teka21
#15re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 9:49pm

In the Heights is still a fantastic show- I've seen it with both Lin-Manuel Miranda and Javier Munoz- Javier is a terrific Usnavi!
I also highly recommend Next To Normal and Hair.

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#16re: What shows to see???
Posted: 4/23/09 at 9:56pm

Don't miss Next to Normal or Billy Elliot. And if you like plays, then August: Osage County.
Updated On: 4/23/09 at 09:56 PM