pixeltracker

Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?

Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/11/09 at 5:26pm

According to Seth Rudetsky's Paybill column this week, Patrick Wilson has been offered the role of Stacey Jaxx in the film adaptation of ROCK OF AGES:

"James never thought he'd love a show as much as Xanadu, but now he's loving playing rock star, Stacey Jaxx, in Rock of Ages. The only devastating thing is he was talking to his friend Patrick Wilson on the phone, and Patrick casually mentioned that he was offered the role of Stacey in the upcoming film version! Ouch! I'm sure it was as fun a conversation as the one between Chita Rivera and Rita Moreno in the late fifties..."

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/129129-ONSTAGE+&+BACKSTAGE:+Six+Degrees+of+Matthew+Morrison/pg2

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 5/11/09 at 05:26 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 12:34am

Odd casting if you ask me. But he was there at "Rock of Ages" opening night. It would seem an odd choice for Wilson too, considering he seems to mostly go for the more "dramatic" roles, but maybe he's trying to switch it up. He's a great actor, so I'm sure he could pull it off, but I assumed someone like Russell Brand.

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#2re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 9:32am

interesting. not at all who I pictured (I prefer my rockers tall and lanky) but hes been good in everything else Ive seen him do, so no reason to think he couldnt do this.

Yankeefan007
#3re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 9:38am

The only good thing about Seth's weekly column is that it proves how good Playbill.com's editors are, since they are almost able to make sense of his incoherent gibberish.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#4re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 9:50am

I don't see Patrick Wilson in the role, although he is a good actor. I'm disappointed.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

VocalLizzy Profile Photo
VocalLizzy
#5re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 3:06pm

My guess is they might be aiming for a more "smooth/slick/suave" Jon Bon Jovi type Stacee with Patrick Wilson versus a "rough/raunchy" Bret Michaels type (as in the Broadway production).

As much as I adore James C., I will back Patrick Wilson in this...nice choice if it comes to pass.

Lizzy

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#6re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 6:40pm

Wouldn't this be a great chance to use real rock stars in a movie instead of a B actor?

SINGASIMPLESONG Profile Photo
SINGASIMPLESONG
#7re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 7:34pm

Wouldn't it be great if shows like "Grey's Anatomy" used REAL surgeons...or "24" used ACTUAL cops...instead of those dumb old actors! B? "Angels in America"?..."Watchmen"?..."Little Children"? I'd say Mr. Wilson is A+.

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#8re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 8:13pm

Interesting idea, but I'd rather see actors who can sing rather than rockers who can't act.
Wait a minute, what am I saying? I probably wouldn't see a Rock of Ages movie regardless.

And that "B movie actor" comment is ridiculous.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#9re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 8:29pm

OK B-plus,

Isn't the show more about singing than acting?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#10re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 8:35pm

I wouldn't say the show is about acting, that's for sure, but it still requires some sort of acting chops. Camping it up is a lot harder than people give them credit for.

colleen_lee
#11re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 8:37pm

Patrick Wilson is probably the only person that could get me to see a "Rock of Ages" film.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#12re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 8:55pm

He is great in everything..should be interesting.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#13re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 9:06pm

I've never seen the show yet...but for some reason I have always thought that it was more of a musical review more than book musical...is it a book musical?

jspaeth87
#14re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 11:00pm

really? a "B actor"? Starring alongside the likes of Kate Winslet, Meryl Streep, Vanessa Redgrave, Samuel L. Jackson,Anne Hathaway, Ellen Paige and so many more great actors....and you say he's a B actor?

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#15re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 11:08pm

MTVMANN, it's very much a book musical. I went in thinking it was also more of a revue, but was pleasantly surprised with how clever and funny it turned out to be at times.

I find it very difficult to think of the Patrick Wilson of Angels and Little Children to play Stacey Jaxx but...he's a good actor so I guess it would be fascinating to see him play against type.

jimmycurry01
#16re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/12/09 at 11:43pm

I think given hist latest films Patrick is an up-and-coming actor, certainly not a B actor. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with what a B actor or B movies are. In his brief film career he has certainly starred along side a long list of A actors (several of which have one or more Oscars) in some pretty good movies.

Brick
#17re: Patrick Wilson in ROCK OF AGES Film?
Posted: 5/13/09 at 12:03pm

Seth's column says Patrick Wilson told his friend he was offered the role. It doesn't say he accepted it.