When will Guys and Dolls close?

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#1When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 7:40pm

I know I was reading something about it possibly closing when Lauren Graham's contract runs up in October. With horrible numbers, will it close even sooner?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 8:42pm

Someone wrote that here. Who of us could possibly know?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dollypop
#2re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 8:42pm

It'll probably struggle through the summer tourist season.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 5/24/09 at 08:42 PM

jagfkb
#3re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 8:55pm

I give it til October, after the September slump

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#4re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 9:46pm

I know I was reading something about it possibly closing when Lauren Graham's contract runs up in October...

Hmmm I wonder where you read that. Oh look....YOU posted it:
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardid=1&thread=997092#3837580

GUYS AND DOLLS will close when the producers decide it it costing more to keep open than it is bringing in. Until that announcement is made, why keep raising the question and trying to start rumours.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Updated On: 5/24/09 at 09:46 PM

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#5re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 10:03pm

soon (it sucked when I saw it)

vlegra
#6re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 10:10pm

I give it a couple weeks after the Tony Awards

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#7re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 10:15pm

After everyone realizes Hair is the best show of the season they will skip Guys and Dolls and go straight to Hair.

That won't happen really but I sure hope. They will suffer from their lack of Tony winning.

willep
#8re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 11:18pm

I saw it this weekend and i really enjoyed it! There were very, very few empty seats (at least in the orchestra, didn't see the mezzanine). The audience really seemed to be having a good time, and I overheard no complaints during intermission or afterward, everybody had only good things to say.

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#9re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 11:23pm

When I saw it the audience went nuts at the end and loved it (which I was a bit mystified by), so I think it's not getting horrible word of mouth except for places like the boards and the critics. I wouldn't be surprised if it had a healthy run and recouped. It's unlikely, but it could happen.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#10re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 9:57am

I think that the name alone will carry the show straight through the summer. It might end up a casualty of the likely Labor Day closing barrage, when shows assess the advances for September-mid November and realize that continuing is probably not worth the effort.

PiraguaGuy2
#11re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 9:58am

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!! YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO SAY YOU WANT A SHOW TO CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

dramamama611
#12re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 10:37am

The same is true of WSS. It doesn't REALLY matter if it's good...folks are going to see because of what it is. Which saddens me.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dollypop
#13re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 10:37am

I've been saying that I wanted PHANTOM OF THE OUTHOUSE to close since the week it opened.

My pleas obviously haven't been heard by the right people, though.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

dramamama611
#14re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 10:44am

I willingly join you on that parade, Dolly!

frontrowcentre2
#15re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 11:41am

I'm not in a rush for any shows to close. WAITING FOR GODOT was the final play of the 2009 season with 9 TO 5 the final musical. Nothing new will open on Broadway until October. (No summer openings are scheduled, aside from the Encores limited run of THE WIZ.)

Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#16re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 11:49am

FINIAN'S RAINBOW is set to open at the St. James in late summer.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#17re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 11:57am

I feel like it's kinda unfair to say that audiences will flock to HAIR instead of GUYS AND DOLLS. G&D is a much more family-oriented show...you can't exactly take the entire family (unless of course they're old enough) to HAIR. The same audiences going to G&D won't go see HAIR, they're probably more likely to see WEST SIDE. Not to say HAIR won't do well financially, I think it will.

I think we're going to experience deja vu this winter with a crapload of shows closing up shop...I don't know if it will be as bad as last year but the winter usually weeds out a bunch of shows and with the recession not seeming to get much better, I think it'll be another dreary few months on Broadway. And G&D could easily be part of that group...we'll see.
Updated On: 5/25/09 at 11:57 AM

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#18re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 12:04pm

What a tacky thread to start. Of course you're allowed to ask, but what's the point?

And steven22, I wasn't a fan of the show either, but you're a total tool to be wishing so many people out of work right now.

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman

AndAllThatJazz22
#19re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 12:07pm

GUys and Dolls plays to capacity audiences, I just don't know what its nut is. If it's making pas its nut, there is no reason for it to close.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

PiraguaGuy2
#20re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 12:08pm

No, it plays to around 70%, and isn't making its nut.

Cartagena, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#21re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 12:32pm

It's never cool to wish/hope a show closes. The cast and staff, plus the theatre employees depend on a show's continued existence. I get the sense that the original poster gets some sort of satisfaction or makes himself feel important to even start the thread in the first place. Good luck to "Guys and Dolls" (and to other shows which need a boost)! from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

frontrowcentre2
#22re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 12:43pm

Does anyione know what the weekly nut for G&D is? I haven't seen anything in Variety that indiactes, but these days a big musical - large cast, crew, orchestra - can run $650-700 K. And it hasn't been above that figure very often.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#23re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 12:49pm

It was sold out yesterday, I looked for tickets.

I figured I would give it a try...

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

frontrowcentre2
#24re: When will Guys and Dolls close?
Posted: 5/25/09 at 12:54pm

Has FINIAN'S RAINBOW set an opening date yet? It is not listed on IBDB and Playbill only says it will open "after Labour Day."

IBDB says the first shows of teh new season will be:

After Miss Julie Oct 2, 2009 American Airlines
Wishful Drinking Oct 4, 2009 Studio 54
The Royal Family Oct 8, 2009 Samuel J. Friedman
Bye Bye Birdie Oct 15, 2009 Henry Miller's Theatre