New Fame Trailer

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#1New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/16/09 at 11:02pm

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=117981579127&h=SK7WM&u=h8fLF&ref=nf

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

raulmark Profile Photo
raulmark
#2re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/16/09 at 11:12pm

thanks for that

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/16/09 at 11:18pm

They showed this during the previews when I saw Up last weekend.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/16/09 at 11:28pm

I have a feeling this movie will be a guilty pleasure and nothing more. I haven't been following it too much, but I take it that it's a totally new story with the same theme and theme song? Whatever.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#4re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 12:10am

...meh

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#5re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 12:21am

It kind of looks like a typical "Step Up" movie or whatever, but I'll see it anyway.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

FindingNamo
#6re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 12:30am

Kelsey Grammar is usually the kiss of death for a movie (though Goth felt American Carol was a HUGE hit) and Debbie Allen as the principal is strike 2. But the preview was more engaging than the one for NINE.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

MrSweetNAwful
#7re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 1:37am

^I wholeheartedly disagree

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

I<3bway Profile Photo
I<3bway
#8re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 1:49am

^ I second that disagreement.

husk_charmer
#9re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 1:59am

I am *So* there. Mullaly+Neuwirth+Grammar+Allen=One happy me.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#10re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 2:17am

I hadn't seen this, didn't even know that Mullally was part of the project. I haven't seen the original film,TV or the Broadway show, but from the trailer I get little sense of a plot going on.
All I hope is that at one point they sing the title song without the new weird "modern" arrangements.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

jennafan
#11re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 2:39am

Is Neil Haskell in this?

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#12re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 8:07am

ray-andallthatjazz86 you need to watch the original film
Its a gritty look at life in NY in the 80s, a brilliant film.
Thios new one will be camp as tits

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#13re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 8:25am

Brilliant film? Really?

I was a teenager when it came out, and a theater kid. We didn't even consider it briliant. Don't get me wrong: we loved it....but high art it ain't -- and we knew it then.

But I still don't understand the need to have a re-make.

But the casting: wonderful. Why shouldn't Allen play the principal...she was one of the original dance teachers back in the day....a incredibly tiny part if my memory serves correctly. I LOVE that she's in it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Paulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
#14re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 8:33am

The original movie stands up surprisingly well today. This horrendous remake is about 4 years too late. After all these trashy 'Step Up' movies it just seems old news

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#15re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 8:40am

I thought the old movie was quite good. I just had hoped that this one was going to be as tough and "gritty". It seems very light and fun. I wanted something dramatic and intense. But whatever, we can't always get what we want

MrSweetNAwful
#16re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 2:03pm

I think the reason the original Fame was gritty was because it was set in New York City in the 1980's.
Now the remake is set in New York City today, which has gone from semi-dangeous, gritty and urban to essentially a Las Vegas-theme park hybrid.

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#17re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 2:19pm

I saw this before up and me and my best friend turned to each other and went "Eh". It doesn't look fabulous, but I know I will go see it anyways.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#18re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 3:08pm

Wow, I am apparently the only one who thinks that this looks pretty damn good, all things considered. I think that if nothing else, the actual filming looks stunning. While I think Nine is clearly a better show and will be a more artistic movie, I feel like it looks kinda like it's going to be done in the same vein as Chicago. And while this may look like the Step Up type movies, I think that the cast and the choreography will blow people away. I am really looking forward to seeing it.

SporkGoddess
#19re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 3:16pm

I saw the preview before Up, and I agree that it looks like a complete guilty pleasure.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#20re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 4:02pm

I think that it will be better then the preview implies.... the trailer to me was not very well done.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

I<3bway Profile Photo
I<3bway
#21re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/17/09 at 4:07pm

I think the trailer was a bit overdone.

I like this one better. More exciting. And this is the one I saw before UP.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/fame/trailer

Updated On: 6/17/09 at 04:07 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#22re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/18/09 at 8:51am

This looks like junk. They have taken the original and "Center-Staged" it. It looks so Disney-fied and overproduced. At least the orginal had realistic depictions of characters and their struggles. This version all the actors looks they were on the cover of Teen Vogue. It's like they throw in an actor of every race and create stereotypical archetypes.

I dont even think pandering to us theatre fans by throwing in Bebe and Debbie and Megan will get me in the door. Blah.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

joanntom
#23re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/19/09 at 1:30am

definitely excited to see it.. it doesnt look too sugar coated.

Select a Member Name Profile Photo
Select a Member Name
#24re: New Fame Trailer
Posted: 6/19/09 at 2:14am

I'm really hoping that trailer is just a way to get all the trendy teens to see the movie, and that it's not an accurate representation of the film. I was really looking forward to seeing this. I'll still see it anyways.

"You have two kinds of shows on Broadway – revivals and the same kind of musicals over and over again, all spectacles. You get your tickets for The Lion King a year in advance, and essentially a family... pass on to their children the idea that that's what the theater is – a spectacular musical you see once a year, a stage version of a movie. It has nothing to do with theater at all. It has to do with seeing what is familiar.... I don't think the theatre will die per se, but it's never going to be what it was.... It's a tourist attraction." Stephen Sondheim