News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread- Page 3

2011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread

bossbear062
#502011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:21am

YO Y'all need to stop hating on my man Joshua Henry. Hard working actor and well deserved nomination. Live it up my man congrats....

And let's be honest if his name was not Daniel Radcliffe he still might have gotten "overlooked"
Updated On: 5/3/11 at 09:21 AM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#512011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:24am

Very happy for Brief Encounter's two nominations. Wish it had gotten more, but happy for what it got.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#522011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:24am

Color me thrilled with these nominations. Sure, there are things I would change, especially in Featured Actress in a Play, but all of the love for Scottsboro is thrilling. And Joshua Henry's Leading Actor nomination is much deserved. I'm ecstatic he got in over Radcliffe who I think deserved a nod for Equus two years back but not for his entirely lackluster performance this year.

gravity87
#532011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:25am

Eris0303, Equus wasn't on Broadway this season so they weren't taking that into account, when considering his work in a different show, in a different year, in a different category. But as far as Leading Actor in a musical went this year, it looks like the nominating committee "chose the performance over the politics." Monique would be thrilled!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#542011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:26am

Scottsboro Boys deserved SOME of those nominations, but not all. They definitely went overboard.

Also, I am really sad that Normal Heart wasn't acknowledged for Scenic Design or Lighting. I thought it was more deserving than Jerusalem.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#552011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:27am

Really? It wasn't? I hadn't noticed.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#562011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:27am

I find it completely ridiculous that Daniel Radcliffe was snubbed. That being said, I'm very glad Women on the Verge got a well deserved nominee for best score.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#572011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:30am

Controversy watch:

If Scottsboro gets a number on the telecast will those uptight and misinformed protesters picket the theater?

Faux outrage is so last year.

....but the world goes 'round

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#582011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:31am

I thought Colman deserved it more for Passing Strange. I honestly don't remember what he or the other featured actor nominated did in the show. Yes, I know what roles they played, but neither stood out to me as a great, nomination-worthy performance.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#592011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:31am

So, I'm putting my money down on Baby, It's You! being the first show to post a closing notice post-nominations. Wouldn't be surprised if Born Yesterday posts as well, given its failure to receive a revival nomination. The producers might not think it's worth keeping it open just to foster Arianda's chances of winning, which are already pretty good no matter what.

Could Lombardi finally be put out of its misery, as well?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Donthatecongratulate Profile Photo
Donthatecongratulate
#602011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:36am

"it's not a snub if it isn't deserved"

such a great quote! I'm stealing that! lol

Scottboro Boys deserved every single one of its nominations. For those who missed it, it was a show full of heart & passion, where several actors transformed back and forth throughout the entire musical between rage & hapiness flawlessly. There were even 2 characters who transitioned from male to female....PAUSE-LMAO, anyway, you know what I mean. Joshua Henry was so passionate he was literally shaking and crying on stage at times. And Domingo & McClendon-sp? transformed through at least 4-5 characters.

Also, it was a beautiful score with gorgeous harmonies. It focused on the performers and the stories being told and didn't rely on a flashy set or flashy costumes to tell the story.

Good for them!

"Don't f*** a baby. I'll get rid of your AIDS. If you f*** this frog."

thismyshow
#612011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:36am

i think lombardi has got a few more months in it.....

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#622011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:38am

This is just a stab in the dark, but perhaps people on the nominating committee wanted to keep Radcliffe out of the race all together for fear he would be able to pull a Catherine Zeta-Jones and use his celebrity appeal to actually win the award (for the record, I thought his work was incredibly deserving of a nomination.)

In theory, it's actually harder to get nominated from within the thirty person committee than it is to get enough votes to win from the larger voting body.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#632011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:39am

I'm sorry for Tveit. I thought he brought amazing energy and personality to the role.

I'm shocked about Radcliffe.

Much to ponder with these nominations...

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#642011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:41am

Donthatecongratulate, for the record, the harmonies (which I did think were good) were not written by John Kander but by David Loud. They are not what the Tony nomination is for. (Confusing and sometimes deceiving, huh?)

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#652011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:41am

Where is Tveit? He is going to be one pissed off actor....

Donthatecongratulate Profile Photo
Donthatecongratulate
#662011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:42am

"I thought Colman deserved it more for Passing Strange. I honestly don't remember what he or the other featured actor nominated did in the show. Yes, I know what roles they played, but neither stood out to me as a great, nomination-worthy performance."

See the issue is, you were so taken with the production as a whole that you couldn't focus. It's OK, I understand.

The good thing is, reeeeeeeaally doesn't matter what YOU thought of their worthy performances.

"Don't f*** a baby. I'll get rid of your AIDS. If you f*** this frog."

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#672011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:43am

Scottboro Boys deserved every single one of its nominations.

Really? Did it? Set design? Orchestrations? Forrest McClendon? Joshua Henry? Book? No. It deserved some. Not all. They went overboard.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#682011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:44am

I'm guessing we can attribute Daniel's not being nominated to the outpouring of affection for Scottsboro.

It's a great show with something to say. It's the last complete score by K&E and it is one of their best. So I think think the "sweep" effect pushed Radcliffe out.

Plus, as Michael Bennett mentioned, his reviews were not glowing. They were "nice".

....but the world goes 'round

JerBearLuv Profile Photo
JerBearLuv
#692011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:45am

The 3 Im shocked about is

1. Daniel Radcliffe Not getting a nomination for Best Leading Actor.

2. Aaron Tveit Not getting a nomination for Best Leading Actor.

3. Lauren Osnes not getting a nomination for Best Supporting Actress.

And Was Patti Lupones role worth a nomination? I dont know much about Verge.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#702011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:45am

Yes, Donthatecongratulate, thank you for putting words in my mouth. That's exactly what happened.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#712011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:47am

The Daniel Radcliffe snub is ridiculous.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#722011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:49am

JerBearLuv, yes, I thought Patti's performance was worthy of a nomination, but not a win... if anyone, Benanti stole the show!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#732011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:49am

3. Lauren Osnes not getting a nomination for Best Supporting Actress.

How is this shocking? It's an awful role, and she didn't get to do much with it.

And Was Patti Lupones role worth a nomination? I dont know much about Verge.

It was a fairly large featured role. She had two solo numbers, including the beautiful "Invisible." Her role had an important impact on the events in act 2.
Updated On: 5/3/11 at 09:49 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#742011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:52am

Except for the inclusion of that awful Verge score, I think these nominations are just right.

Radcliffe and Tveitt are just not stage stars; they work their butts off, and offer performances with all sweat, no surprise.

I really love that a smart, surprising, moving, unusual show like Scottsboro got recognition over brain-dead, by-the-numbers gruel like Catch Me, Priscilla, etc.

Videos