News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BAT OUT OF HELL Will Play 8 Weeks At NY City Center In 2019- Page 23

BAT OUT OF HELL Will Play 8 Weeks At NY City Center In 2019

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#550Down to One
Posted: 8/9/19 at 2:45am

Sondheimite said: "This will play City Center when the Spiderman tour launches."

I have a freshly baked crow pie awaiting you.

Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#551Down to One
Posted: 8/9/19 at 2:53am

SmoothLover said: "SouthernCakes said: "They’re purple ?

"It sounds like the reviews that will coming out in the wee hours of the morning will all be titled A Hot Mess At City Center: Jesse Green will be racking his brain for any sort of current relevance. I think if the critics take it for what it is they will not drag it through the mud." 

No review from Jesse.  On vacation?

I

"

Joshua Kilimnik Profile Photo
Joshua Kilimnik
#552Down to One
Posted: 8/9/19 at 5:18pm

I saw the closing night performance of the original Toronto production, starring a great deal of the original cast. I'm genuinely surprised that almost all of the parts of the show that have stuck in my mind since I saw it have all been taken from the show. Specifically, the car in the pit, the pool jump and the bike exploding were all moments that I thought would be the things to win the New York crowd over. After I saw the show, I described it as "what We Will Rock You wishes it was", but I'm also not completely surprised at some of the reception without some of those crucial elements in play. From what I remember, Andrew Polec and Christina Bennington (both individually and especially together) are almost worth the price of admission alone, and a lot of the numbers themselves are just great deals of fun. I agreed heavily with whoever said it would be a lot more enjoyable to go into it thinking about a rock and roll opera rather than a musical.

(Side note, me and my partner had the chance to meet some of the cast at the closing night reception for those involved with the production, and all of the cast and creatives seemed absolutely lovely. We got to talk to a lot of performers about their history with the show and their plans from afterward, took a lotta pictures and got to hear them all sing Bohemian Rhapsody like true theatre kids)

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#553Down to One
Posted: 8/10/19 at 12:42am

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "SmoothLover said: "SouthernCakes said: "They’re purple ?

"It sounds like the reviews that will coming out in the wee hours of the morning will all be titled A Hot Mess At City Center: Jesse Green will be racking his brain for any sort of current relevance. I think if the critics take it for what it is they will not drag it through the mud."

No review from Jesse. On vacation? 

The NY Times reviewed the London production a year ago and loved it. A much better review than the one that appeared early yesterday morning. It is possible that Green and Brantley are on vacation although this current production is considered Off Broadway and both reviewers tend to review those productions less.

I

"

"

Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#554Down to One
Posted: 8/11/19 at 4:27pm

Can a local please provide me with the location of the City Center stage door? Message me if you choose.
Thanks.

chrishuyen
#555Down to One
Posted: 8/11/19 at 4:36pm

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "Can a local please provide me with the location of the City Center stage door? Message me if you choose.
Thanks.
"

When you get out of the theater head to your right, there should be a glass revolving door saying something like access to 56th street, go through that. Turn right and sometimes they'll have barricades set up but you should see some steps up to another door which is the stage door with city center posters next to it. If you hit Starbucks you've gone too far. 

Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#556Down to One
Posted: 8/11/19 at 5:43pm

chrishuyen said: "Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "Can a local please provide me with the location of the City Center stage door? Message me if you choose.
Thanks.
"

When you get out of the theater head to your right, there should be a glass revolving door saying something like access to 56th street, go through that. Turn right and sometimes they'll have barricades set up but you should see some steps up to another door which is the stage door with city center posters next to it. If you hit Starbucks you've gone too far.
"

Thanks so much.  I'm in direct contact with Andrew Polec via Facebook and may be invited backstage post-performance.  Want to leave my Don Gregory Presents business card with stage door personnel prior to the show.

Updated On: 8/11/19 at 05:43 PM

scarlet721
#557Down to One
Posted: 8/11/19 at 9:22pm

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "chrishuyen said: "Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "Can a local please provide me with the location of the City Center stage door? Message me if you choose.
Thanks.
"

"

Thanks so much. I'm in direct contact with Andrew Polec via Facebook and may be invited backstage post-performance. Want to leave my Don Gregory Presents business card with stage door personnel prior to the show.

"

If you're going BEFORE the show, you basically want to go along 56th street until you are behind the theater.  Google maps gives the actual address as 130 W 56th Street.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#558Down to One
Posted: 8/11/19 at 10:53pm

Saw it this evening and it appeared that cast members were coming out of a backstage access door inside the theater.

Just give the world Love.

SmoothLover
#559Down to One
Posted: 8/11/19 at 11:01pm

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "chrishuyen said: "Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "Can a local please provide me with the location of the City Center stage door? Message me if you choose.
Thanks.
"

"

Thanks so much. I'm in direct contact with Andrew Polec via Facebook and may be invited backstage post-performance. Want to leave my Don Gregory Presents business card with stage door personnel prior to the show.

If you are on a list just ask one of the ushers where the podium is with the stage door monitor and they will direct you, Also if one wanted to go to the stage door where the company exits you can just go out the door on 56th by the podium and turn left. There is no reason to exit the theatre on 55th and cut through the block to get to 56th,

"

scarlet721
#560Down to One
Posted: 8/11/19 at 11:29pm

My sister and I saw the show at today's matinee and enjoyed it.  The story makes absolutely no sense, and the ending is beyond bizarre and doesn't wrap anything up. 

BUT, if you are are a Jim Steinman and/or Meat Loaf fan, the music itself is worth it, and most of the performers are wonderful.  The sound is extremely loud (especially from our 4th row seat) and the lighting effects were a bit painful to me (fortunately not bad enough to trigger a headache).  I found the use of projections and internal camera work baffling and unnecessary.  And I loved the "Obsidian News" as the program given out to all patrons.  And just FYI, the song list is given in alphabetical order, so exact order of the songs is left as a bit of a mystery to the uninitiated.

The show doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, a dark gothic drama, a campy comedy, or an update of Romeo and Juliet.  It has elements of We Will Rock You and Dance of the Vampires, but after seeing it, I was most reminded of the movie Repo! The Genetic Opera.

Oh, and the people next to us in the 4th row orchestra got their tickets on TDF...

Updated On: 8/11/19 at 11:29 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#561Down to One
Posted: 8/11/19 at 11:51pm

I should have shared my thoughts with my last post!

I had a blast and would gladly go back!

I went in expecting pretty much what we got. A campy over the top show that reminded me of an 80's MTV video. The missing special effects would have really capped it off but the music made up for it.

First off, if you are a Lena Hall fan, she does not disappoint. I have never seen her live and she sang the Hell out of every song she did. We had and understudy for Strat (There are two. We had  Branner) and he sang his butt, and his shirt, off! The entire cast was vocally top notch.

A non complicated story of boy meets girl, etc. The book was serviceable. The song arrangements were really good and I really liked the sound and mixing of the back up vocals. The set was fun as was the lighting.

It was just a fun night. It helps if you know the music. The crowd was loving it for the most part. I didn't feel it was too long, but I was into all of the music. Even the songs I didn't know.

I am assuming the bit with the motorcycle rolling offstage happened near the end of Act 1. It is kind of oddly/poorly staged with the microphone. I was not sure what happened to him until the opening of the second act. Also in the second act there is a scene where Strat is singing to Raven and she is just kind of roaming around the stage. You got the feeling the director didn't know what to do with her during that song. 

But all in all, had a great time!  JMO

Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#562Down to One
Posted: 8/12/19 at 3:44am

Thanks for the stage door location information everyone.

HBBrock
#563Down to One
Posted: 8/12/19 at 8:56am

Even though I had a strong feeling the lead of the show (Andrew Polec) was going to be out tonight, I was pretty aggravated when I looked at the At This Performance board and saw that he was out (he took last Sunday night off too, and I am sure he was resting for The Today Show this morning). So aggravated that I put in a half effort to ask about exchanging tickets. Once the box office said I would need to talk to the House Manager, I kind of said screw it and we decided to stay. 7th Row Center Orchestra was too good to pass up. 

The understudy, Will Branner, ended up winning me over by the end, and actually got the loudest applause at the curtain call. Being an understudy is hard because the audience is often disappointed you are on, and you have even more to prove. But understudies do amazing work.

What a great time! This show gave me everything I hoped it would. Was it campy and cheesy? Absolutely! But it was so much fun. The cast was fantastic. The one time the camp fully took over and I started giggling was when Bradley Dean sang “What Part of My Body Hurts The Most.” But I applaud his putting 100% into it! He was awesome.

People use the “Blow the roof off of the place” saying too much, and I try not to use it too much, but watching Christina Bennington and Lena Hall sing “It’s All Coming Back To Me Now” is unmissable. Those two ladies belted it out and gave me chills. They were both incredible.

The ensemble had some serious vocalists in it, and they really did Jim Steinman’s music really, really well.

I definitely recommend this, but know that it’s not a Broadway show. It is some sort of rock opera/concert with costumes and a set/pretty corny story.....but you will leave smiling for sure.

The show is like watching an 80s music video. I will be singing “I’d Do Anything For Love (But I Won’t Do That)” all week.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#564Down to One
Posted: 8/12/19 at 9:16am

I have a friend who has seen Polec and Branner and said they are both equally as good. I knew Branner was probably on last night so I didn't even look at the board. Since I have never seen or heard either actor, I was totally fine with Branner. 

SmoothLover
#565Down to One
Posted: 8/12/19 at 9:45am

I heard from some industry people that they have been giving out tons of free tickets in the orchestra and grand tier. I do not know how to score a free ticket however. I think the tickets have been going to industry connected people.

HBBrock
#566Down to One
Posted: 8/12/19 at 9:51am

SmoothLover....are you in or involved with the show? All of your posts clearly read that way.

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#567Down to One
Posted: 8/12/19 at 10:30am

I saw this Saturday night, and I now know what I will be doing every Saturday night through the rest of the month. What a trip! Full cast too, but how I wish I could see this production in its original staging glories. I want to see a lot more of Andrew Polec in New York, he was absolutely magnetic. 

TDF tickets were row H orchestra center. 

ren598
#568Down to One
Posted: 8/12/19 at 11:01am

HBBrock said: "Even though I had a strong feeling the lead of the show (Andrew Polec) was going to be out tonight, I was pretty aggravated when I looked at the At This Performance board and saw that he was out (he took last Sunday night off too, and I am sure he was resting for The Today Show this morning). So aggravated that I put in a half effort to ask about exchanging tickets. Once the box office said I would need to talk to the House Manager, I kind of said screw it and we decided to stay. 7th Row Center Orchestra was too good to pass up.

The understudy, Will Branner, ended up winning me over by the end, and actually got the loudest applause at the curtain call. Being an understudy is hard because the audience is often disappointed you are on, and you have even more to prove. But understudies do amazing work.

What a great time! This show gave me everything I hoped it would. Was it campy and cheesy? Absolutely! But it was so much fun. The cast was fantastic. The one time the camp fully took over and I started giggling was when Bradley Dean sang “What Part of My Body Hurts The Most.” But I applaud his putting 100% into it! He was awesome.

People use the “Blow the roof off of the place” saying too much, and I try not to use it too much, but watching Christina Bennington and Lena Hall sing “It’s All Coming Back To Me Now” is unmissable. Those two ladies belted it out and gave me chills. They were both incredible.

The ensemble had some serious vocalists in it, and they really did Jim Steinman’s music really, really well.

I definitely recommend this, but know that it’s not a Broadway show. It is some sort of rock opera/concert with costumes and a set/pretty corny story.....but you will leave smiling for sure.

The show is like watching an 80s music video. I will be singing “I’d Do Anything For Love (But I Won’t Do That)” all week.
"

HBBrock, I was also at last night performance and also 7th row center orchestra.  You must be the nice people I was sitting next to during the show.  Like you, I was also initially disappointed that Andrew Polec was out, but pleasantly surprised by understudy Will Branner.  I saw him previously as Tony in West Side Story last year at Barrington Stage, so I knew he was good but I was still surprised by how well he sang these songs.  I have tickets to two more shows later in the run.  Hopefully I'll get to see Andrew Polec for one of those, but now I'll be comparing him to what I saw from Will last night. 

As for the show itself, the story that ties the songs together is weak, but the actors sing the hell out of these songs.  Every single song is arranged and sung beautifully.  The staging, the effects, the choreography are all extra and secondary to the songs and the actors singing them.  If you're a fan of Jim Steinman's songbook, this is a must-see.  I had a great time.  

Audience reward tickets were Row G orchestra center.  Excellent seats.  I just checked.  They have one ticket left for August 29.  If I lived in NYC.  I would jump at that.

HBBrock
#569Down to One
Posted: 8/12/19 at 12:02pm

Yes, that was me you sat next to! :) 

Very nice talking to you. I wish I could go Aug 29th, but that’s the opening game for my college football team (UCF) and I cannot miss that.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#570Down to One
Posted: 8/12/19 at 12:08pm

HBBrock said: "I wish I could go Aug 29th, but that’s the opening game for my college football team (UCF) and I cannot miss that."

^ Words that will never pass from my lips. Lol

HBBrock
#571Down to One
Posted: 8/12/19 at 12:09pm

I am a massive theatre fan and a massive UCF football fan. I used to listen to showtunes on the way to tailgate when I lived in Florida.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#572Down to One
Posted: 8/12/19 at 12:20pm

Sentences that also will never pass my lips:

I think I’ll vote Republican for a change.

I love gym life.

Sometimes I get so busy that I have to remind myself to eat.

Man, I just love country music.

I really need to have sex with a woman soon.

I’m done watching trash reality shows.

SmoothLover
#573Down to O the sightlinesne
Posted: 8/12/19 at 5:20pm

HBBrock said: "SmoothLover....are you in or involved with the show? All of your posts clearly read that way."

No. A friend of mine works at City Center and gives me comps all of the time. I primarily go to Encores or anything that is theatrical. I have sat all over the theatre so I am pretty familiar with the sightlines. I have gotten to know other people that work there, casually, just because I have been there so much.

HBBrock
#574Down to O the sightlinesne
Posted: 8/12/19 at 6:53pm

Ahhh makes sense. :)

Videos