News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Expert Tony predictions

nxt2bridges
#50Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/7/15 at 2:44pm

it's interesting that Isherwood reviewed AIP and Brantley Fun Home. But I think that Fun Home is the more experimental piece of theatre, done in the round as well, should be rewarded for the risks it takes. 

As for the year it most resembles, I would venture to say that would be Millie vs Urinetown, with a more traditional show and then a more experimental, off broadway transfer. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#51Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/7/15 at 2:47pm

I'm still bitter about URINETOWN not winning. 

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#52Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/7/15 at 2:50pm

Isherwood’s picks seem particularly odd. I feel like his “Will Win” categories are also what he thinks “Should Win.” He seems blinded by his love for “AAIP” or his (possible) dislike of “Fun Home.”

My favorite part of the Isherwood article, however, is this correction at the bottom:

An earlier version of this article misspelled the given name of the actress nominated for her role in “The Audience.” She is Helen Mirren, not Melen.

Updated On: 5/7/15 at 02:50 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#53Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/7/15 at 3:18pm

"I'm still bitter about URINETOWN not winning. "

Same here.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#54Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/7/15 at 3:29pm

Ishwerwood said on Theater Talk last year that he didn't like FUN HOME. So did that moronic woman who writes "reviews" for the Post. It only added fuel to Michael Riedel's homophobic, tin-eared fire. Thank God for Jesse Green. 

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#55Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/7/15 at 3:53pm

Vincentelli likes Fun Home, but didn't love it. They both had problems with the structure of the show. If it were up to me, Theater Talk would just be Suzan, Pattrick, Jesse, and Michael.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#56Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/7/15 at 4:43pm

I hope by "Michael" you mean Michael Musto. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#57Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/8/15 at 2:06am

"Brantley was really afraid of offending one of his pets.  He didn't pick between Kelli and Kristin for the SHOULD win, which makes me roll my eyes a bit.  C'mon.  If you're a voter, for whom are you voting?  You can't pick 2.
Also, someone should inform him that John Cariani was not eligible in the Featured category."

While they're at it, they should tell him that some of his predictions aren't even on Broadway…….

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#58Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/8/15 at 4:05am

Oh of course. Nobody needs that misogynist and homophobic pig on TV. Especially poor Suzan, who I think actually has the most insightful comments on the show. Then again, it's her show and she could fire Riedl at any moment but doesn't, so they must not actually hate each other.

Steve721
#59Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/8/15 at 1:08pm

"While they're at it, they should tell him that some of his predictions aren't even on Broadway……."

Or maybe you should read the fine print in the Times articles:

"For the Should Have Been Nominated category, the Times’s critics were allowed to expand the potential nominees to Off Broadway productions, which are ineligible for the Tonys. But they didn’t consider “Hamilton,” which is moving to Broadway."

Updated On: 5/8/15 at 01:08 PM

neonlightsxo
#60Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/8/15 at 1:10pm

Steve, right, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he placed Cariani and Danza in the wrong categories.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#61Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/8/15 at 1:32pm

They put actors in whatever category they feel they should be placed. As with the shows not eligible for Tonys because they are not in a Broadway house, they don't go by the Tony eligibility rules. I remember Brantley saying Aaron Tveit should have been nominated for Leading Actor in a Musical the year Next to Normal was up (he was considered featured at the Tonys).

neonlightsxo
#62Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/8/15 at 1:37pm

I know. That doesn't make it right.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#63Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/8/15 at 1:47pm

It doesn't make the Tonys right either. For the Oscars, nominators put actors in whatever category they like despite what the actor/studio promotes "for your consideration." I don't see how it's wrong or any different here. (Like Brantley or Isherwood even care or pay attention to Tony eligibility!)

ahhrealmonsters
#64Expert Tony predictions
Posted: 5/8/15 at 2:31pm

I remember reading a quote from Isherwood last year around this time that he hates Fun Home. I haven't seen An American in Paris, but I had no idea it would be a frontrunner. I thought Best Musical would be between Fun Home and Something Rotten.

Videos