News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 101

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#2500FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/7/23 at 5:35pm

Penna2 said: "Phillyguy said: "Just saw Funny Girl tix on TDF for 1/12 with Ephie Aardema."

That was scheduled some time ago. Julie had it on her IG. I heard Ephie did a great job when she went on. She's a lovely singer and dynamite tap-dancer. She's also adorable!
"

I had a friend who saw her over the summer and said she was great! I think she's probably the best dancer to tackle this role on Broadway and is a good singer and actor too! 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2501FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 4:09pm

I know this is an odd question but would anyone have any thoughts on whether I should see the show or not? For context, I saw the recent Paris production with Christina Bianco so I feel I already ‘know’ what it’s like to see some powerhouse Fanny vocals live on stage. I don’t love the show but I LOVE Lea’s vocals on the cast album. However, I don’t know if it’s really worth paying so much money to see it live especially if they are just screamed over by the audience. Can I save my money and just enjoy the album or is it really a must-see event? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2502FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 4:16pm

binau said: "I know this is an odd question but would anyone have any thoughts on whether I should see the show or not? For context, I saw the recent Paris production with Christina Bianco so I feel I already ‘know’ what it’s like to see some powerhouse Fanny vocals live on stage. I don’t love the show but I LOVE Lea’s vocals on the cast album. However, I don’t know if it’s really worth paying so much money to see it live especially if they are just screamed over by the audience. Can I save my money and just enjoy the album or is it really a must-see event?"

Great question. If you love Lea's vocals on the album, I would definitely recommend seeing this production live. I was skeptical about paying so much for a ticket to see this a second time after suffering through Beanie's performance the first go round, but it was worth every cent to see Lea shine up there like she did.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Penna2
#2503FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 4:24pm

binau said: "I know this is an odd question but would anyone have any thoughts on whether I should see the show or not? For context, I saw the recent Paris production with Christina Bianco so I feel I already ‘know’ what it’s like to see some powerhouse Fanny vocals live on stage. I don’t love the show but I LOVE Lea’s vocals on the cast album. However, I don’t know if it’s really worth paying so much money to see it live especially if they are just screamed over by the audience. Can I save my money and just enjoy the album or is it really a must-see event?"

I haven't seen it, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt, however, I have seen some videos and the feedback I've received is she brings the entire show together and makes it good. Her relationship with Ramin is electric and one of the major elements of Fanny's life. Also, the change from Jane to Tovah also brings a reality to the story that is missing otherwise. Funny Girl never worked as show before, but this cast seems to make it work, even the difficult 2nd act. 

Had I the funds I would see it with Lea in a heartbeat and not just for the songs.

absalom
#2504FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 4:53pm

bwayphreak234 said: "binau said: "I know this is an odd question but would anyone have any thoughts on whether I should see the show or not? For context, I saw the recent Paris production with Christina Bianco so I feel I already ‘know’ what it’s like to see some powerhouse Fanny vocals live on stage. I don’t love the show but I LOVE Lea’s vocals on the cast album. However, I don’t know if it’s really worth paying so much money to see it live especially if they are just screamed over by the audience. Can I save my money and just enjoy the album or is it really a must-see event?"

Great question. If you love Lea's vocals on the album, I would definitely recommend seeing this production live. I was skeptical about paying so much for a ticket to see this a second time after suffering through Beanie's performance the first go round, but it was worth every cent to see Lea shine up there like she did.
"

This is consistent with my experience this past Friday Jan 6.

Lea is—for lack of a better description—flawless. Her vocals are near indistinguishable from the cast recording and her acting is very good.

Have a hard time imagining what this was like with someone who struggled vocally in the role and didn’t have great chemistry with Ramin.

As much as some may not want to admit, the show works because of Lea. And because of her, everyone shines more brightly.

Penna2
#2505FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:03pm

Has anyone seen anything about this?

Broadway World says Funny Girl will tour (oh I wish Ramin would be in it but no casting announced yet)

Breaking: FUNNY GIRL to Launch National Tour

BroadwayWorld has learned that Funny Girl will be launching a national tour, with dates already confirmed for 2024 as part of Atlanta's 2023/2024 Broadway touring season.

Funny Girl's national tour will perform at Atlanta's Fox Theatre July 30 through August 4, 2024. While no casting has been announced for the tour, the production is using promotional materials featuring Broadway alternate Julie Benko.

Phillyguy
#2506FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:16pm

I'm very happy for Julie and can't wait to see it when it comes to my city. 

However, if you have not seen it with Lea yet, it's a must see show and worth every penny. 

hearthemsing22
#2507FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:21pm

Phillyguy said: "I'm very happy for Julie and can't wait to see it when it comes to my city.

However, if you have not seen it with Lea yet, it's a must see show and worth every penny.
"

There has been absolutely nothing to imply that Julie will be doing the tour. She was also announced a while ago as being attached to Harmony, should it come to Broadway. 

Phillyguy
#2508FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:26pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Phillyguy said: "I'm very happy for Julie and can't wait to see it when it comes to my city.

"

There has been absolutely nothing to imply that Julie will be doing the tour. She was also announced a while ago as being attached to Harmony, should it come to Broadway.
"

She is featured in the promo materials for the tour. If she isn't Fanny for the tour, wouldn't it make more sense to use the photo of the current lead Lea? 

Penna2
#2509FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:28pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Phillyguy said: "I'm very happy for Julie and can't wait to see it when it comes to my city.

"

"

Two things:

1. Is there an actual article here about the tour, I can't find it.

2. Sierra Boggess is doing Secret Garden in LA through the end of March, so it appears Harmony is on hold at least until that gig is over.  I believe Julie did say it was just a workshop, Barry still trying to make the show work.

hearthemsing22
#2510FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:29pm

Phillyguy said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Phillyguy said: "I'm very happy for Julie and can't wait to see it when it comes to my city.

"

"

She is featured in the promo materials for the tour. If she isn't Fanny for the tour, wouldn't it make more sense to use the photo of the current lead Lea?
"

I don't work with the production-it's their decision who is in the promo materials. I don't know, but again, I highly doubt they'd use Lea because then subscribers would think Lea is leading the tour, which I HIGHLY doubt. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2511FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 10:57pm

Penna2 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Phillyguy said: "I'm very happy for Julie and can't wait to see it when it comes to my city.

"

"

Two things:

1. Is there an actual article here about the tour, I can't find it.

2. Sierra Boggess is doing Secret Garden in LA through the end of March, so it appears Harmony is on hold at least until that gig is over. I believe Julie did say it was just a workshop, Barry still trying to make the show work.

"

Julie would be crazy to not do the tour if offered. Harmony is a nothing role and Barry's been trying to make the show work for 30 years. I doubt it will ever land on Broadway. Hopefully her agents will advise smartly on her next move.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

PipingHotPiccolo
#2512FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 11:12pm

hearthemsing22 said: "I don't know, but again, I highly doubt they'd use Lea because then subscribers would think Lea is leading the tour, which I HIGHLY doubt."

Bingo. Would be very big blunder to send out promotional materials with a celebrity that is most assuredly not going to be in the tour.

Dan6
#2513FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 12:14am

I saw the show last April with Julie (her second performance) and Jeremiah James on for Ramin, who was out with COVID. After reading Lea's reviews, I decided to include it again in my current trip. I loved Julie, but this is a completely different show. Tovah is a terrific replacement for the horribly miscast Jane Lynch, and Lea gives what I will now count among the handful of greatest musical theater performances I've seen in my lifetime. She is simply extraordinary and elevates the entire production; even the drab set, underwhelming costumes, and Act Two book didn't bother me. I am SO glad I saw this again. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2514FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 6:17am

Anyone seeing Ephie tomorrow night since Julie is on vacation?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#2515FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 8:36am

Like I said in another thread, they are probably using Julie in the promo material, because you don;t want to put out Lea Michele, and people think she is going on tour. Same thing happened with Hello Dolly. A lot of cities (including my own) used either just the logo, or a shot of the ensemble or Lewis J Stadlen because they weren;t going to use Bernadette or Bette Midler, and some of the laster tours weren't going to get Betty Buckley.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#2516FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/12/23 at 2:06pm

Julie going to be busy with Harmony (in October)

Penna2
#2517FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/12/23 at 3:00pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Julie going to be busy with Harmony (in October)"

Harmony Broadway Tickets (nytix.com) I found this about Harmony in 2023 (it's the only piece about 2023 Broadway shows as far as I can tell some might be able to do better searching) - we'll see about October. No cast names are listed, but I would assume it is the same cast from the off-Broadway show with the addition of Julie.

Harmony Summary

• Show Status: Future
  • Genre: Musical
  • Harmony is 2 hours and 45 minutes long, including an intermission of 15 minutes
  • 8 Shows per week
  • Previews Begin: July 13, 2023
  • Show Opens: August 2, 2023
  • Show Closes: Open ended

In 1920s Berlin, Germany six talented young men, Jewish and gentile, come together to form a group of comedian harmonists. They took the world by storm with their signature blend of sophisticated close harmonies and uproarious stage antics, but the rise of the Nazi Party changed their trajectory.

starlightlocamotion
#2518FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/12/23 at 3:17pm

Could Micaela Diamond feasibly close // finish out the run of Parade and then jump into leading the Funny Girl tour ?? would be so special… just saying.

Updated On: 1/12/23 at 03:17 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2519FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/12/23 at 5:39pm

ACL2006 said: "Anyone seeing Ephie tomorrow night since Julie is on vacation?"

Unfortunately, it looks as if she'll be playing to an empty house. Lots of seats unsold for tonight but that seems to be the norm for Thursday nights. 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

hearthemsing22
#2520FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/12/23 at 5:43pm

starlightlocamotion said: "Could Micaela Diamond feasibly close // finish out the run of Parade and then jump into leading the Funny Girl tour ?? would be so special… just saying."

I'm gonna go with no 

Phillyguy
#2521FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/13/23 at 6:28am

Robbie2 said: "ACL2006 said: "Anyone seeing Ephie tomorrow night since Julie is on vacation?"

Unfortunately, it looks as if she'll be playing to an empty house. Lots of seats unsold for tonight but that seems to be the norm for Thursday nights.

"

That’s sad. I wonder why they don’t do a better job at selling tix at a discount. This would be a good way to gauge reception for a different lead for the tour. There must be some tourists interested in seeing the show if the price is right. 

LUCKY2 Profile Photo
LUCKY2
#2522FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/13/23 at 8:57am

No need to feel sorry for Ephie, she played to a packed house.   Memorable performance. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2523FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/13/23 at 9:17am

Last night's show wasn't even up at TKTS. Congratulations Ephie!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#2524FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/13/23 at 9:40am

ACL2006 said: "Last night's show wasn't even up at TKTS. Congratulations Ephie!"

So where did the whole, "Poor Ephie, the theatee is empty" thing come from? Are people just straight up making things up now?

Videos