News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016- Page 6

Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#125Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/1/16 at 9:45am

There's certainly nothing explicit in the material. It's just a question of whether she will be engaged in it- it's a essentially a domestic drama. The first half deals with Marvin, who has come out as gay and divorced his wife and taken up with a man, dealing with trying to reconcile his family-especially his relationship with his son- with his new life. The second half deals with Marvin coping with both his son's bar mitzvah and his boyfriend's contraction of HIV.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

rebeccmam31
#126Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/1/16 at 10:13am

Kad said: "There's certainly nothing explicit in the material. It's just a question of whether she will be engaged in it- it's a essentially a domestic drama. The first half deals with Marvin, who has come out as gay and divorced his wife and taken up with a man, dealing with trying to reconcile his family-especially his relationship with his son- with his new life. The second half deals with Marvin coping with both his son's bar mitzvah and his boyfriend's contraction of HIV."

That's just the sort of information I needed, thank you!  I actually think it sounds like something she would be interested in and moved by.  I appreciate the summary.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#127Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/1/16 at 10:17am

"Gotcha. I only ask because I admittedly don't know much about this show and in the casting article it mentioned that the show was a "new production" which combines the 1981 "March of the Falsettos" and the 1990 sequel "Falsettoland." I am very intrigued!"

There's nothing new about that at all - the prior Broadway version was a combo of March of the Falsettos and Falsettoland with the  interpolation of "I'm Breaking Down" from In Trousers.

I saw both shows in their separate one-act versions during their Playwright's Horizons runs, and thought that they were amazingly thrilling and devastating in that tiny intimate house. Seeing them done back to back in a much larger commercial house left me pretty cold after that initial experience.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#128Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/1/16 at 10:18am

I realize that from my description it may come off like it's heavy or kitchen-sink realism. It's actually a bit more idiosyncratic than that- there is very little dialogue and William Finn is an eccentric writer and, at this period in his writing, had a big streak of neurotic whimsy in what he did.

If you want to get a feel for how the show is, the Tony award performance is on YouTube. It's a pretty good representation of what the show is like.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

rebeccmam31
#129Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/1/16 at 10:28am

Kad said: "I realize that from my description it may come off like it's heavy or kitchen-sink realism. It's actually a bit more idiosyncratic than that- there is very little dialogue and William Finn is an eccentric writer and, at this period in his writing, had a big streak of neurotic whimsy in what he did.

If you want to get a feel for how the show is, the Tony award performance is on YouTube. It's a pretty good representation of what the show is like.
"

I will seek it out.  Thank you, again! I have no problem planning a trip without her, but I do like to expose her to new, interesting, and challenging things wherever possible, as long as it is age-appropriate (and we have a fairly broad definition of that).  She's got pretty eclectic taste, so it's kind of fun being her mom. :)

Crazy NooNooHead Profile Photo
Crazy NooNooHead
#130Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/1/16 at 1:33pm

GreasedLightning said: "1. With Lincoln Center as producer, will tickets be available through LincTix for this production? As they were with VFTB/Disgraced at the Lyceum, or is that not the same case here?"

According to Broadway For Broke People, they're offering both LincTix and $32 student rush tickets.

"I have maggots in my scrotum!"

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#131Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/1/16 at 1:44pm

This is a Lincoln Center Theater production, being put on at an outside venue (like The Nance or Other Desert Cities); they're not "just" producers like View from the Bridge or Clybourne Park. LincTix will definitely be available.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#132Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/1/16 at 1:54pm

I suspect there will be many things about the material in this revival that will seem -- not dated, because its a period piece now, but how do I say this...in the writing style itself, that may not hold up all that well. But the issues of family,  love and death I think really are timeless, and I am sure the production will still be very funny and moving

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#133Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/1/16 at 5:20pm

I truly can't wait for this. I think the score is so strong and it'll be great to hear these voices sing it. Excited!!

"...and in a bed."

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#134Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/1/16 at 11:16pm

Excited!  I haven't seen Stephanie since Drood.  I don't know this show, and I will be keeping it that way. Glad to know what the name WhizzerMarvin meant after all this time.  I hope she has a few songs and of course a belt.  With anticipation my poor ass is schlepping up to NY this Fall.

Stephanatic

aj88
#135Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/2/16 at 8:49am

South Florida said: "Excited!  I haven't seen Stephanie since Drood.  I don't know this show, and I will be keeping it that way. Glad to know what the name WhizzerMarvin meant after all this time.  I hope she has a few songs and of course a belt.  With anticipation my poor ass is schlepping up to NY this Fall.

Block does get to sing a really great comedic belt song that will also give her a lot of great acting moments. It's one of the things I'm most excited about seeing in this production.

"

Buffalo Bill Profile Photo
Buffalo Bill
#136Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/2/16 at 10:22am

The casting of this production feels awkward to me.  Is this progress? Marvin was played by an out gay man in the original production I saw (it was Michael Rupert.)  I felt a certain kinship watching that performance. Though I adore Christian Borle, I am not certain I will feel the same "shared experience" sitting in the theatre as I did, way back when.  I am just not certain we are making progress in the Gay Community any more. Ah, well. 

From President Obama: "Over the years, musicals have been at the forefront of our social consciousness, challenging stereotypes, shaping our opinions about race and religion, death and disease, power and politics."

jimmycurry01
#137Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/2/16 at 12:39pm

Buffalo Bill said: "I am just not certain we are making progress in the Gay Community any more. Ah, well. 

"

I'm sorry, what? Where have you been for the last 20 years? The amount of progress that the gay community has made has been astounding, We are no longer a social pariah or dirty family secrets. We can get married and adopt kids. The issue of ray rights is openly discussed in the media. Many gay actors are finally beginning to feel safe in coming out, and it is no longer considered career suicide for a straight male actor to portray a gay character. If Christian Borle is able to give a good performance in the role, then I certainly don't think it matters who he sleeps with, nor should it.

billyelliotfan123
#138Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/2/16 at 12:50pm

Honestly I could care less. I'm excited to see him in another lead role so quickly 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#139Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/2/16 at 12:54pm

https://instagram.com/p/BDopkOxPzBz/

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#140Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 4/2/16 at 12:54pm

Borle isn't gay. Neither were many of the great actors who have played Marvin and Whizzer in the show's initial run, including Steve Bogardus who originated Whizzer. Buffalo Bill has chosen this hill to die on, and he seems to think that the overwhelming progress made by gay people is somehow undone by this bit of casting. 

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 4/2/16 at 12:54 PM

Videos