News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Funny Girl 2022 Revival- Page 13

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#300Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 6:37am

The show is already structured as a memory play. It begins at the end and flashes back to the beginning.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#301Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 6:42am

RippedMan said: "This kind of reminds me of Color Purple. I mean, none of us really knew Cynthia Ervio before that revival (at least over here), so I don't think it really needs a name per say. I don't think, as someone said, and given the West End revival, that this is going for "event theater." So, they could cast someone who maybe is a theater name that would then lead to some great success. I mean, Color Purple surprisingly didn't make its money back, but they added in some "names" to round out the new star. I could see that happening.

But lordy I hope it's not the same production. That was so grim.

I will say I recently (like last 4 years) watched Funny Girl for the first time and I "got" it. She is sensational. So big shoes to fill.
"

But Cynthia is a virtuosic vocalist and actress whose talents seem to only keep getting validated. If Beanie can achieve the same level of greatness I think it would be exciting but my skepticism is they’ve found someone who is funny and charismatic but will only just pass at singing the score (if she was a virtuosic singer we’d know about it already, surely). I don’t think that is going to be good enough for this show and score personally. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#302Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 7:06am

binau said: "But Cynthia is a virtuosic vocalist and actress whose talents seem to only keep getting validated. If Beanie can achieve the same level of greatness I think it would be exciting but my skepticism is they’ve found someone who is funny and charismatic but will only just pass at singing the score (if she was a virtuosic singer we’d know about it already, surely). I don’t think that is going to be good enough for this show and score personally."

This is my biggest fear about Beanie Feldstein.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#303Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 8:28am

“ The show is already structured as a memory play. It begins at the end and flashes back to the beginning.”

Yes, but it would be told from a perspective of an older Brice, not the one waiting for Nick’s immediate return from prison.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#304Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 10:08am

So it’ll be like Carolee Carmello in Scandalous?

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#305Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 10:30am

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Here's the casting call

Audition for FUNNY GIRL at People NY LP in Submission on 08/08 (broadwayworld.com)
"

Although it's an open casting call right now, imagine if Bernadette Peters played Mrs. Brice? It would feel like a mini DOLLY reunion.
"

I just saw elsewhere that Ryan Murphy owns the rights to FUNNY GIRL. So do we think it's possible Lea Michele could get the role after all?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#306Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 10:30am

I can only imagine how obnoxious Jessica Vosk’s Instagram would be if she got the role. The girl is amazingly talented, but I find her annoying AF based on her social media.

Same here.  Love her career journey and she’s beyond a fantastic performer but I stopped following her on social media as well as her real-life personality is beyond obnoxious and annoying.  That ego needs a solid kick to the throat.  

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#307Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 10:40am

jlindsey865 said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Definite yes to Jessica Vosk and Shoshana Bean!!!!

I am thinking the same. Maybe Gaga will come to Broadway in a couple of years?
"

I would love to see Shoshana Bean win a Tony, and I think this could be the role that does it.

I can only imagine how obnoxious Jessica Vosk’s Instagram would be if she got the role. The girl is amazingly talented, butI find her annoying AF based on her social media.
"

Yep I hope Shoshana is in the running for Fanny!!! But I also wonder if she will be playing Jenna when Sara leaves in mid October because she was liking a few Waitress related tweets.

I don't follow Jessica Vosk too much on social media though. But I wonder if not FUNNY GIRL, what role she could be doing? (Since she mentioned wanting to share one soon!)

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#308Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 10:43am

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Here's the casting call

Audition for FUNNY GIRL at People NY LP in Submission on 08/08 (broadwayworld.com)
"

Although it's an open casting call right now, imagine if Bernadette Peters played Mrs. Brice? It would feel like a mini DOLLY reunion.
"

I just saw elsewhere that Ryan Murphy owns the rights to FUNNY GIRL. So do we think it's possible Lea Michele could get the role after all?
"

More speculation? Barbara herself follows Lea on Insta and Lea is in apparently in NYC this week???

BrodyFosse123
#309Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 11:00am

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Here's the casting call

"

"

"

Per Ryan Murphy, he no longer owns the rights to FUNNY GIRL.  Also, he no longer is involved with Lea Michele professionally (per a few people who work for his production company), which is why she is not attached in any capacity to any of his numerous projects in the past few years.  He has since closed the chapter on her.   

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#310Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 11:12am

Barbra was not really well known when Funny Girl debuted.  I hope they go with somebody younger with an explosive talent like Babs (but that would be a tall order).

BrodyFosse123
#311Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 11:17am

Impeach2017 said: "Barbra was not really well known when Funny Girl debuted. I hope they go with somebody younger with an explosive talent like Babs (but that would be a tall order)."

Huh?  Barbra was already a Tony Award nominated, Grammy Award winning and Emmy Award nominated actress/singer when FUNNY GIRL opened on Broadway in March 1964.  She had also just signed a $10 million dollar deal with CBS for TV specials.  Her name was above the title of the show as well so FUNNY GIRL was a huge hit due to her attachment.  She wasn’t “discovered” for FUNNY GIRL.  

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#312Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 11:19am

BrodyFosse123 said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Here's the casting call

"

"

"

Per Ryan Murphy, heno longer owns the rights to FUNNY GIRL. Also, he no longer is involved with Lea Michele professionally (per a few people who work for his production company), which is why she is not attached in any capacity to any of his numerous projects in the past few years. He has since closed the chapter on her.
"

Oh thanks for the information! I saw a few people sharing the potential of Lea playing Fanny on Twitter (as recently as today) so that's why.

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#313Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 12:02pm

My god I would love to see Cynthia Erivo cast as Fanny. I mean look at this clip from her recent Hollywood Bowl concert. Flawless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0BwKnAU8tg

BroadwayNYC2
#314Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 1:03pm

It’s official! those wanting a Barbra impression better gird your loins.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#316Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 1:08pm

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#317Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 1:09pm

How exciting! It may bomb at the box office, but as long as I get to see it, no skin off my back. I wouldn't want to be an investor, but I say that about most Broadway shows honestly. 

BTW, glad we've confirmed that this will be a new production, and NOT a transfer of the London version. I believe this will be my first time seeing 2 unaffiliated productions of the same material directed by the same person. I know it's happened before, but it's relatively rare, especially for such a short period of time. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#318Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 1:10pm

After waiting years and years for a Funny Girl revival, and hearing so many exciting casting rumors, I have to admit this announcement is a letdown for me. However, I hope she does well and proves me wrong. I would love nothing more than to eat my words of doubt about her!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#319Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 1:11pm

Exciting - today, us theatre nerds are the luckiest people in the world!

I didn't see Feldstein in Hello, Dolly! - she was still mourning the death of her brother Jordan (former band manager of Maroon 5) - but I cannot wait to hear what she can do with this classic material.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 8/11/21 at 01:11 PM

gibsons2
Lunalaaaaaaaa
#321Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 1:26pm

I'll wait to see how the previews are. Didn't someone on this thread actually call this casting first?!?!?!

I'm surprised they didn't announce who is playing Nick. I thought it would be in the same announcement.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#322Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 1:30pm

I think they said it was Ramin.

beanie feldstein is fanny
#323Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 1:32pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I think they said it was Ramin."

To my knowledge, it's not but I'm not willing to bet on that like I was with Bean!  

BroadwayNYC2
#324Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 1:33pm

Curious what theatre this will be in!

Videos