News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Funny Girl 2022 Revival- Page 12

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

jlindsey865 Profile Photo
jlindsey865
#275Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 4:23pm

Hugh Jackman's voice grates on my nerves (my o-pinion), but I don't know how anyone could argue that he isn't a huge international star. 

The casting of him in "The Music Man" was very smart.

Updated On: 8/10/21 at 04:23 PM

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#276Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 4:37pm

The YouTube link redirected to Hugh Jackman on Jay Leno? Lol

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#277Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 4:44pm

That's why it's my opinion. :)"

Except when you spout off some nonsense that is provably wrong and that no sane person could ever agree with -- then it's not so much an "opinion" as it is the rantings of a loon (e.g. climate change deniers, Covid deniers, election result deniers, etc.)   Maybe all of those "a"'s in your screen name are cutting off your oxygen supply?  

HAHHHAHAHAHAAHAHA. Great post. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#278Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 4:47pm

The YouTube link redirected to Hugh Jackman on Jay Leno? Lol

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

Updated On: 8/10/21 at 04:47 PM

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#279Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 4:50pm

Back to FUNNY GIRL! Lillias White on the revival.

https://twitter.com/AyannaPrescod/status/1424912950679248897?s=19

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#280Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 4:51pm

I don't know when this thread about a "Funny Girl" revival turned into a discussion about Hugh Jackman; and I won't scroll through 275 or so posts to find that point.  But I will say this.  I had never seen Jackman in person.  Liked him, and that was about it.  But then I attended his concert on tour a couple of years back and was blown away by his voice, his dancing, his charm.  I am now a committed Hugh Jackman fan.  He, I am sure, will be beyond wonderful in "Music Man".

And Beanie.  Talented though she is, she is NOT Fanny Brice.

Non sibi sed patriae

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#281Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 5:24pm

SoCalDirector said: "joevitus said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "But there are people who will see the show merely because it’s FUNNY GIRL."

No, no there aren't.
"

Yes there are. Enough to keep a big musical afloat, no I don't think so. But how do you try to ever speak for everyone is beyond me.

"

If there are any, there are not enough in the world to fill up half the rows of any Broadway house on a single night. Funny Girl, as a work, is not a draw. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#282Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 5:25pm

Highland Guy said: "I don't know when this thread about a "Funny Girl" revival turned into a discussion about Hugh Jackman."

If you don't know, that explains a lot. Why not blame it on misogyny again, lol?

Highland Guy
#283Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 5:27pm

joevitus said: "Highland Guy said: "I don't know when this thread about a "Funny Girl" revival turned into a discussion about Hugh Jackman."

If you don't know, that explains a lot. Why not blame it on misogyny again, lol?"

Hush now

Non sibi sed patriae

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#284Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 5:30pm

For the life of you, you don't know why a big star in a revival of an old show has entered the discussion about the casting of a non-star in a revival of a star vehicle. You just don't know! Is a puzzlement!

Highland Guy
#285Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 5:35pm

joevitus said: "For the life of you, you don't know why a big star in a revival of an old show has entered the discussion about the casting of a non-star in a revival of a star vehicle. You just don't know! Is a puzzlement!"

Time for your meds, little troll

Non sibi sed patriae

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#286Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 5:45pm

There is just no reasonable explanation for a big star in a major revival of this season being referenced in relation to an upcoming revival that needs a star performance. None!

Highland Guy
#287Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 5:51pm

joevitus said: "There is just no reasonable explanation for a big star in a major revival of this season being referenced in relation to an upcoming revival that needs a star performance. None!"

Jibberish

Non sibi sed patriae

Highland Guy
#288Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 7:01pm

Sarah Lepre

Non sibi sed patriae

jo
#289Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 7:38pm

My favorite stage door story about Hugh Jackman ( whose career  I have followed since seeing him live in the RNT Oklahoma!  - saw the show only because I like Rodgers&Hammerstein musicals and had no idea of who the lead was) --

At the Imperial stagedoor during the run of THE BOY FROM OZ:

A teenage fan finally reached Hugh Jackman's side among that overflowing, overexcited crowd at the stage door. She was so excited that she was shaking and was rendered speechless. 

Hugh noticed it and told her :"Hey, It's only me." 

Re Oklahoma!  - that literally started the road to international stardom for him. The main producer of the first XMen movie  Lauren Shuler Donner saw and met him at the show in London... and that eventually led to Wolverine!  When the original cast actor ( DScott ) could not meet filming deadlines, she suggested to bring in Hugh Jackman!  Her assistant then was the now-famous head of Marvel Studio Kevin Feige ( who is actually credited for styling the infamous Jackman/Wolverine hairstyle).

The road to stardom can take many paths!

And because of his rise to fame, it led to him to Broadway ( as theatre is his first love)!

It has even led him to the concert stage ( although he says "TheManTheMusicTheShow"  is more of a theatre show as he featured many song numbers from his stage and film career musicals... in a 92-show music tour in major parts of the world in 2019.

Another story -- when he was in rehearsals for the 2009 Oscars hosting, the Oscars producer Lawrence Mark saw him doing his routine and along with co-producer Bill Condon, pitched him the idea of a Barnum musical. Hugh did set it up as a film project in August 2009...but the movie THE GREATEST SHOWMAN did not get completed and released till late 2017!  It turned out to be one of the leggiest box office hits in Hollywood history. He also won a Grammy for being the principal soloist in the soundtrack whose album release became the best selling album worldwide  in 2018 ( beating even all the pop music albums).

So, in the public mind, he is now both Wolverine & The Greatest Showman laugh

But the public perception that he is now an actor of excellent range is now leading him to other genres ( such as the social satire Bad Education... and a new movie he is now filming in London - another adaptation from  Florian Zeller 's  drama trilogy.  It is  called "The Son".  Zeller recently an Oscar for 'The Father" )   . After that, The Music Man!

In the meantime, Hugh has a new movie release - a romantic sci-fi thriller called REMINISCENCE, written and directed by Westworld's Lisa Joy Nolan ( wife of Jonathan Nolan who has co-written some scripts with brother Chris Nolan,

I digress - I will be a MUSIC MAN tourist -- coming from halfway across the world!

Updated On: 8/10/21 at 07:38 PM

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#290Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 7:43pm

I think perhaps people are coming to this revival with too high expectations because of what a cultural sensation Barbra became with the original production and the film. Someone mentioned upthread how that was like lightning in a bottle: the right confluence of factors occurred (the actual Fanny Brice had died fairly young not that long before the show premiered, Barbra was a singular talent for which this new show was a fantastic vehicle, Broadway still was relevant in the American popular music landscape, etc.) and no revival will ever really replicate that success. I think the team around this revival may be hoping for a serviceable revival of an old show -- not an earth-shattering blockbuster, must-see event. We have revivals of this sort every season.

Star casting would certainly help, but there isn't currently a star big enough to make much of a difference who would do this show. Lady Gaga certainly would not touch this property unless it got a completely bespoke update to suit her image, ala A STAR IS BORN. (And, truthfully, I don't think Gaga will be doing Broadway anytime soon. She may do it later in her career and probably with a role she can originate.) Idina has aged out of the role. The most realistic option would be a talented stage actress like Jessica Vosk or Shoshana Bean. They wouldn't be box office draws by name alone, but might win good word-of-mouth and press with their talent.

I'm not really that familiar with Beanie Feldstein. She's not a big name, nor does she seem to have the typical vocal tone I expect for the role. But if she is actually whom they've chosen, I'm hoping the producers and team know what they're doing. They may have set their sights on a less ambitious limited run revival than what people are expecting, built around a smaller, quirkier, and different Fanny than what the show was with Barbra.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#291Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 7:58pm

Definite yes to Jessica Vosk and Shoshana Bean!!!!

I am thinking the same. Maybe Gaga will come to Broadway in a couple of years?

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#292Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 8:17pm

My guess is we probably won’t see Gaga on Broadway for at least another decade or two unless it’s for concert show like Springsteen did. But who knows. She might find the right property to make her stage debut sooner than that.

Honestly, I could see her winning a Tony for writing or composing a show more so than performing. 

Updated On: 8/10/21 at 08:17 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#293Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 8:33pm

Not happening without STARS   - Beanie & Ramin...don't think so!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 8/10/21 at 08:33 PM

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#294Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 8:45pm

I think you're right. I'd say Gaga might come to Broadway 5-15 years from now? I was imagining her starring in a stage adaptation of Cover Girl (what a dream this would be) or something else of her choice.

I can see Gaga writing and starring in her own show for sure! Right? She'd definitely win for composing a show.

jlindsey865 Profile Photo
jlindsey865
#295Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 9:01pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Definite yes to Jessica Vosk and Shoshana Bean!!!!

I am thinking the same. Maybe Gaga will come to Broadway in a couple of years?
"

I would love to see Shoshana Bean win a Tony, and I think this could be the role that does it.

I can only imagine how obnoxious Jessica Vosk’s Instagram would be if she got the role.  The girl is amazingly talented, but I find her annoying AF based on her social media.

Updated On: 8/10/21 at 09:01 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#296Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/10/21 at 11:57pm

Idina Menzel has aged out but Shoshana Bean hasn’t?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#297Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 12:07am

This kind of reminds me of Color Purple. I mean, none of us really knew Cynthia Ervio before that revival (at least over here), so I don't think it really needs a name per say. I don't think, as someone said, and given the West End revival, that this is going for "event theater." So, they could cast someone who maybe is a theater name that would then lead to some great success. I mean, Color Purple surprisingly didn't make its money back, but they added in some "names" to round out the new star. I could see that happening. 

But lordy I hope it's not the same production. That was so grim. 

I will say I recently (like last 4 years) watched Funny Girl for the first time and I "got" it. She is sensational. So big shoes to fill. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#298Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 12:42am

The supposed Menzel casting comes from rumors the show was restructured as a memory play.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#299Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 1:20am

"Industry sources"

http://bway.ly/0yyax4#http://broadwayjournal.com/will-funny-girl-reign-over-broadways-revival-parade/

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Videos