News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Funny Girl 2022 Revival- Page 15

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#350Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 2:45pm

Jordan Levinson said: "ACL2006 said: "Without a name, this might play the Golden and still not fill the theater."

This will not play the Golden -Thoughts of a Colored Manis set to end its limited engagement on March 20. I don't think you can load that out and load inFunny Girl, go through tech, and begin previews in just a week and a half.
"

I said this as a joke, which you missed. Maybe I should have said The Booth as my joke was that, without a name, this is gonna be a major flop.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BdwyFan
#351Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 2:52pm

I think maybe the Hudson.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#352Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 2:53pm

I think this is fantastic news. Picking an actual funny Jewish girl for the role? What a concept! I’ve loved everything I’ve seen her in, and I’m sure she’ll knock ACS: Impeachment out of the park too. Talk about a “star on the rise” moment.

Fosse76
#353Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 3:04pm

Aside from the matinee crowd and select members of this board, who's the audience?

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#354Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 3:14pm

Trish2 said: "Thankfully Harvey Fierstein is on board to revise a very dated, and clunky script."

Nothing about his revision of The Wiz inspires confidence in his ability to update "dated" books.

For the record, Funny Girl's script isn't dated. It's just bad. It was bad when the show opened, the screenplay was bad (in its time), it's bad today. Nothing to do with "dated." It was always a hollow piece because too many people had too many agendas for any real characters or storyline to be developed. 

Updated On: 8/11/21 at 03:14 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#355Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 3:29pm

“The first time I played Fanny Brice was at my third birthday party, in a head-to-toe leopard print outfit my mom made for me,” Feldstein said in a statement. “So, it’s safe to say that stepping into this iconic role, on Broadway and not in my family’s backyard, is truly my lifelong dream come true.

“I am immensely grateful to be able to do so alongside such a remarkable creative team,” she added, “and cannot wait for audiences to get back in theaters again!”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/11/theater/beanie-feldstein-funny-girl-broadway.html

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#356Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 3:31pm

Well I see things are still exactly the same around here.

I'm totally fine with her casting, I think she could be great, give the lady a chance.

My biggest thing is 'why revive this?
I saw the recent production here in the UK a couple of times, and whilst the production fell flat at points, so did the show. It just hasn't aged well, it feels like a slog to sit through at times. I'm also convinced that people hold this up in such high regard due to the star turn of Babs. Sheridan Smith draws a crowd here in the UK (as she should), but the show almost felt secondary to her casting, thats why people booked, and many found it meh. Now I will admit that the show seems more beloved in America than here, but it will be interesting to see how much of an audience exists for this one.

The reviews in the UK were mixed but not because of cast or production, more for the show itself.

I also think this is aimed at a much older audience, and like it or not, we are still in the middle of a pandemic and it will continue to affect theatre for some time now. Older audiences might not feel comfortable in a theatre yet (I totally get it), this one just seems risky to me.

Anyway, just my two cents, love to you all.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Dolly80
#357Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 3:34pm

This is going to have to be a pretty sensational production if it’s to have a decent run. But I’m excited to see it, and I do like BF. Can only assume they have faith she can deliver. Then again the same producers and director cast Sheridan Smith in London and she was horribly exposed in the role. You can’t ignore the shadow that Barbra casts singing those songs so at least get someone who can belt them out properly.

massofmen
#358Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 3:49pm

This thing is gonna close before it opens.
No one sees revivals unless a massive global star is in the lead role (beanie is not even close to that) or if it's produced at lincoln center with a massive subscription base to keep it going.

This is horrendously poor casting.
Whoever invested In this better have an out clause

PipingHotPiccolo
#359Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 4:05pm

massofmen said: "This thing is gonna close before it opens.
No one sees revivals unless a massive global star is in the lead role (beanie is not even close to that) or if it's produced at lincoln center with a massive subscription base to keep it going.

This is horrendously poor casting.
Whoever invested In this better have an out clause
"

i know nothing about Funny Girl and have no idea if Beanie Feldstein is right for the role singing wise. But shes incredibly likeable, has stage presence and an awkward confidence- the naysayers here are just YIKES. 

Also not sure how anyone here can suggest Funny Girl needs a bigger name to do well? Just off the top of my head: The King and I, Oklahoma, Fiddler, Sweeny Todd, Hair, South Pacific, West Side Story, Anything Goes, Pippin, The Color Purple, Once on This Island- none of these had stars bigger than Beanie Feldstein to sell tickets to celeb hungry tourist. They all had different reasons for their success/failures, sure, but the idea that a well reviewed, revitalized Funny Girl can't sell without Beyonce in the lead is awfully silly. 

PlayItAgain
#360Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 4:05pm

I couldn't be less excited for this and I actually love Beanie 

but this is snooze city

VintageSnarker
#361Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 4:06pm

TaffyDavenport said: "SouthernCakes said: "I more worried about the direction. Mayer isn’t really known for comedy, right? I’d have loved to have seen Mariene Elliot direct this. Female creative team. Oh well.

I’m sure it’ll go in a big musical house.
"

Michael Mayer directed the current Off-Broadway Little Shop of Horrors, as well as Head Over Heels.
"

That's not very encouraging. But he did direct Thoroughly Modern Millie which arguably has some Funny Girl energy.

BCfitasafiddle
#362Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 4:07pm

I'm gonna need some great Broadway names for Rose and Flo to really get excited, but I will of course see it regardless. I want a lavish orchestra.

gibsons2
#363Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 4:14pm

"I know nothing about Funny Girl and have no idea if Beanie Feldstein is right for the role singing wise. But shes incredibly likeable, has stage presence and an awkward confidence- the naysayers here are just YIKES".

The type of awkward confidence that come from people who think they're funny and they aren't really? Sorry...
Beanie Feldstein is cute but she isn't a strong singer.

Owen22
#364Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 4:25pm

Trish2 said: "Thankfully Harvey Fierstein is on board to revise a very dated, and clunky script."

I have seen this revision and it's clunkier than the original book! Which, in my opinion, has always been just fine.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#365Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 4:32pm

massofmen said: "This is horrendously poor casting."

My husband and I live on the West Coast.  It is a real investment of money for us to make our way to the East Coast to see a show or shows (show tickets, air fare, hotel, meals, etc.).   We make that trip often, but only if it is for something we really want to see.  We really wanted to see "Funny Girl," but this is uninspired casting and not worth our time or money.  For those who are excited to see this new production, we hope you enjoy it.  It's a definite "no" for us.

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 8/11/21 at 04:32 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#366Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 4:35pm

Lea Michele, Funny Girl, and Beanie Feldstein are all trending on Twitter, including as a Trending Topic with the description: People discuss how actor Lea Michelle is potentially reacting to the news that Beanie Feldstein has been cast in a Broadway revival of Funny Girl

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Lea%20Michele%22&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

Updated On: 8/11/21 at 04:35 PM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#367Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 4:53pm

Some of y’all need to get some sunlight. Like the casting or not, some of these “takes” are needlessly aggressive.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#368Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 4:54pm

massofmen said: "This thing is gonna close before it opens.

Oh, I don't know - both Hair and Pippin seemed to have decent runs (for revivals) without those things.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#369Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 5:29pm

Highland Guy said: "massofmen said: "This is horrendously poor casting."

My husband and I live on the West Coast. It is a real investment of money for us to make our way to the East Coast to see a show or shows (show tickets, air fare, hotel, meals, etc.). We make that trip often, but only if it is for something we really want to see. We really wanted to see "Funny Girl," but this is uninspired casting and not worth our time or money. For those who are excited to see this new production, we hope you enjoy it. It's a definite "no" for us.

"

Agreed. Since you are/were looking forward to seeing Funny Girl, I'd recommend seeing the show when BF's alternate/understudy is in. I'm happy for BF definitely but a little disappointed.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#370Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 5:31pm

And many others I’m sure but I personally think the successful revivals without stars tend to be stronger shows that aren’t written to be so pivotal around a central character as Funny Girl. I haven’t actually watched the filming of the London revival with revised book but I did see the Christina Bianca Funny Girl in Paris (directed by Stephen Mear) and think the show is on the weaker side, especially the second act.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

SouthernCakes
#371Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 5:42pm

Agreed! This one just happens to be a star vehicle hence all the criticisms. If her “don’t rain on my parade” doesn’t bring down the house then what’s the point?

Honestly it’s much inline with the lead in Company. The vocals just weren’t there and therefore a lot of the moments felt “eh” for me. So I hope this isnt like that. (Although the production as a whole is incredible)

bwaydreamer
#372Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 5:43pm

The people on here saying she will "work on the songs" and then "bring it" don't understand Funny Girl or the music.  You either have it or you don't.  She is a great actress but she does not have it in terms of what is needed vocally.  You can't go from cutesy singing to learning how to belt higher than you ever have and how to fill a broadway house 8 times a week with a voice.  This will is not the revival we deserve.

Ke3
#373Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 5:47pm

The assertion that nobody under 50 or into musical theatre knows Funny Girl is simply incorrect. For better or for worse, Ryan Murphy introduced the show to an entire generation. Funny Girl is one of the only musicals that is mentioned by name on Glee multiple times. They even did a half a season arc of Rachel's character getting the lead in a revival. Glee was one of the most popular shows of the '00s, and Ryan made Funny Girl (and Babs) a huge part of its imagery. Just looking on Twitter at how far this announcement has gone outside of theatre circles shows that Funny Girl is far more well known than people think. 

Now, will any of this translate into ticket sales? I don't want to say no because the theatre is unpredictable, but I doubt it. People my age (21) aren't high on any broadway demographic polls.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#374Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 6:08pm

I’ll wait when they announce her standby or matinee Fanny

Videos