News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HAMILTON Previews

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#225HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/14/15 at 7:47pm

I loved the show when I saw it two weeks ago. This is what I want:

1. A cast album, STAT. I realize that probably won't happen until the Broadway run.

2. An extension at the Public.

3. No Broadway transfer until the summer, so that Fun Home takes home a couple of big Tonys.

4. To win the Hamilton lottery.

Is that too much to ask?

Thanks, Lin-Manuel, for a great show.

Updated On: 2/16/15 at 07:47 PM

indytallguy
#226HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/14/15 at 9:07pm

I love the specific raves from this poster over on All that Chat.
Hamilton: Six Plus One

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#227HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/14/15 at 10:05pm

^^^
Pretty much sums it up. Over a week after seeing it, I think I'm just getting the impact of it now. The clip released by The Publuc hit me like a sack of bricks, but in a good way. I loved it, but now I that I want more, it's being able to analyze it and think about why it's special. There's nothing like this. It's that simple.

In an incredibly selfish, childish way, I hope I can tell someone 50 years from now that I saw Hamilton in previews the same way my grandmother talks about seeing Oklahoma 2 days after it opened.

JaglinSays
#228HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/15/15 at 12:36am

The video highlights look and sound like an unintentional Saturday Night Live sketch; and Miranda
is not much of a singer or dancer, clearly.

Hope the show itself is a whole lot better.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#229HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/15/15 at 2:29pm

So, Jaglin, do you like Lin-Manuel Miranda and his show? I really can't tell.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

firebolts Profile Photo
firebolts
#230HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/15/15 at 5:12pm

"In an incredibly selfish, childish way, I hope I can tell someone 50 years from now that I saw Hamilton in previews the same way my grandmother talks about seeing Oklahoma 2 days after it opened."

Wow, is it really that good? I don't live in NY, so I haven't had an opportunity to see it (nor will I in the near future).

How is it compared to IN THE HEIGHTS? I enjoyed the musical immensely, but I don't think it was ground-breaking.

Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#231HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/15/15 at 6:46pm

I thought In the Heights was good, not great. It was energetic, fun, and new. It was something different that we hadn't seen in a long time.

Hamilton is staying with me because it's doing something that's brand new, or at least feels that way. It's taking a topic that, on the surface, seems boring and unrelated. It's an effective biography. It tells the story in a way that makes sense. The music is smart and catchy. Yes, it's a bit silly to think of Thomas Jefferson asking his fellow founding fathers what he missed in a rap, but it's memorable. I want to tell people about it.

I think what gets me the most is that everything about this screams risk and bad idea, but it works. Could other people do this? Mayb, so we'll seem. It just feels like a breath of fresh air. It's a smart show that makes you think. But it manages to be catchy as all hell. To me, that happens so rarely.

CoreyRyan3
#232HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/15/15 at 11:52pm

I will be returning to New York in mid-March and would LOVE to see Hamilton.

I think my only options are to keep an eye on the website and hope something becomes available, the lottery at the theatre and on TodayTix, and the standby line, which I am curious about.

Does anyone know how to standby line works and how early I need to get there?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#233HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 12:06am

^I could be wrong, but from the times I tried the lottery, it looked like the cancellation line didn't start forming until after the lottery.

Also BTW, someone earlier in this thread mentioned that Brian d'Arcy James' last performance is March 1st -- less than 2 weeks from now. If that's the case, they must have someone lined up to replace him already right? Especially since they've known for so long that he'd be leaving. Nobody's heard any rumors? I'm really curious.

firebolts Profile Photo
firebolts
#234HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 12:30am

Hmm, okay. It's gotten good reviews, so I bet it's great; I trust Lin. How much rap is in it? Does Phillipa rap?

Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#236HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 3:17am

So repeating, and not even singing "I'm Not Throw'en Away My Shot" over and over passes for a Broadway caliber song now, huh? And Lin-Manuel Miranda can't even dance the three steps they gave him? He looked like one of those third rate comedians on his first night of "Dancing With the Stars who is the first to get thrown off. It'll transfer and just like the other "ground breaking" musicals, "Spring Awakening" & "American Idiot" be gone in eighteen months.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#237HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 3:29am

Have you seen the show? Or are you basing this typical acidic bitchiness off of a clip that times in less than a minute?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 2/16/15 at 03:29 AM

After Eight
#238HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 3:32am

"So repeating, and not even singing "I'm Not Throw'en Away My Shot" over and over passes for a Broadway caliber song now, huh? "

Yeah, apparently. Quite impressive, that!

" It'll transfer and just like the other "ground breaking" musicals, "Spring Awakening" & "American Idiot" be gone in eighteen months."

After a volcanic eruption of hype and hysteria.

Whatever happened to measured judgment?

To all prospective groundbreakers: Leave our ground alone!

After Eight
#239HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 8:03am

"No Broadway transfer until the summer, so that Fun Home wins everything! "

Yes, everything, absolutely everything! Everyone else's needs and wants must necessarily take a back seat to yours.

"In an incredibly selfish, childish way "

At least you recognize it.

Entitlement, selfishness, childishness --- everywhere you turn.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#240HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 8:50am

I'm Not Throwing Away My Shot is a great song, propulsive and dramatic and catchy.

I wonder if it is the "I Want" song.

Anyway, as far as the standby line: I think it really varies day by day. Yesterday (Sunday) I headed down to the Public, thinking that no one besides me would be fool enough to venture out in that extremely cold weather. Turns out a lot of people would, and did. For the 2 p.m. matinee I got there at 11:30 because I forgot that the matinee lotto starts taking names an hour and a half before showtime, not two and a half hours.

A woman with a party of six (all present) started the standby line, and I got behind her. This was a bit after 11:30. By the time the lotto was over, there were about 25 people on line. It ultimately turned out that there were only six standby tickets, so the people ahead of me all got in, and I just missed. (This information was doled out just before showtime.) I believe their seats were in row Q. I was happy that they got to see the show because they were here on vacation from Miami, and I've already seen Hamilton. The lotto was packed. I believe 11 to 12 tickets were sold.

No matter how cold it gets, people realize that you're waiting in the nice warm lobby of the Public, not out on the sidewalk as with most theaters. So the crowds will be there regardless, and if the reviews on Tuesday are as good as I expect them to be, demand will continue to build.

Updated On: 2/16/15 at 08:50 AM

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#241HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 8:57am

Sorry if this is a dumb question but does the standby line sell full price tickets?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#242HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 9:00am

^^^^. Yes. I believe they're $122.

Phillipa doesn't rap, as far as I can remember, but Renee Elise Goldsberry does, and is terrific. It's so fast, it's like a patter song.

Updated On: 2/16/15 at 09:00 AM

Okiekat Profile Photo
Okiekat
#243HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 9:39am

CoreyRyan3,
I've tried the standby line twice. First time I was third on line and did not get in. Second time I was 5th on line and DID get in. Seat was in the first row. You can get a voucher as soon as the box office opens and it's not necessary to wait in the lobby. I got a voucher number and went up to The Library. You just need to return 30 minutes prior to the show. Tickets are full-price $122.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#244HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 9:59am

Each person on the standby line gets a voucher that's good for up to two tickets.

Okiekat Profile Photo
Okiekat
#245HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 12:44pm

FYI... this tweet from The Public: @PublicTheaterNY Just a reminder- no #hamiltonpublic lotto until this Thursday, 2/19! See you then.

CoreyRyan3
#246HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 5:25pm

So Okie, is your tip to just get there as soon as the box office opens to grab a voucher? Or should I get there a little earlier?

I'll be going March 12th, so it's likely that the reviews will have made the demand even higher (if that's even possible) for this show.

Okiekat Profile Photo
Okiekat
#247HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 5:38pm

CoreyRyan3, I would definitely try to be there when the box office opens. I was there last Friday and the woman who had voucher number 1 said she got on line at 11:30am. I got on line at 5:45pm, I only got in, because several ahead of me decided to leave. I agree, that if reviews are what I expect, it will be more difficult to get a wait-list ticket. It may be easier on two-show days. Also, while you're waiting you can add your name to the lottery drawing.

CoreyRyan3
#248HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 5:42pm

Okie, your help is greatly appreciated! And you said after I get my voucher, I am allowed to leave and come back?

Okiekat Profile Photo
Okiekat
#249HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 6:11pm

That is correct. Both times I left and returned by 7:25. Make sure you ask where to go when you return.

Gomez3 Profile Photo
Gomez3
#250HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/16/15 at 7:25pm

This show had a huge impact on our high school group; for most of us, it was the most we've ever laughed, and the most we've ever cried. Seamlessly blending dramatic musical theater, modern culture, and laughs, this show largely changed our lives.

The cast is not only incredible, but also super humble, with every lead including Miranda talking back to us after the show.

Videos