News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HAMILTON Previews

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#200HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/9/15 at 3:23pm

I know there is one number, "Let It Go," that was cut. Other than that I didn't notice much.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#201HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/9/15 at 3:26pm

How eclectic is the score? Is it mostly rap?

Or is more like ITH and Venice where rap is one element of a much larger musical tapestry?

....but the world goes 'round

starcatchers
#202HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/9/15 at 3:36pm

It's pretty eclectic, but primarily has a pop/rap feel. He throws in numbers like "You'll Be Back" (BDJ's hilarious number) and the STUNNING second act song "Burn," which is one of Philippa Soo's big numbers. Each of the leads has a big feature that is perfectly suited to their strengths.

I just really love this score. I can't wait for a recording.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#203HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/9/15 at 3:41pm

Burr's first solo and his duet with Hamilton should both be cut: the former particularly brings the show to a screeching halt and neither song adds much to either character.

One other revision: Thayne Jasperson just has to go! His good looks and incredible build are simply too distracting! Especially when he's wearing a sleeveless shirt...

Updated On: 2/9/15 at 03:41 PM

starcatchers
#204HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/9/15 at 3:53pm

^ Agreed on both of those. I feel like they were both meant to give more of a "human" side to Burr. Musically, they're gorgeous, but they could definitely be cut.

Thayne is adorable and "Farmer Refuted" is one of my favorite "funny" nubers in the show.

neonlightsxo
#205HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/9/15 at 3:59pm

One of the profiles on Lin, I don't remember if it was the New Yorker article or the NYT, said while Heights was 2/3 MT/pop and 1/3 rap, Hamilton is the inverse. And I agree with that.

Also I saw the show the first week and "Let it Go" was a brief snippet of something Eliza sang, not even a full song. Not listed in the playbill. So it wasn't a big cut. (I haven't seen it since to make a comparison.) Updated On: 2/9/15 at 03:59 PM

MyLife
#206HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/9/15 at 4:34pm

Referring to Burr's number, are you talking about "Wait for it?" That has to be one of my favorite numbers in the show adn I think it's necessary to establish Burr's character as something other than a villain.

And someone mentioned this earlier in the thread that the duet between Hamilton and Burr regarding their newborns is a necessary element to set up for Act 2. I don't necessarily love the placement of it sandwiched between two big numbers right before the end of the first Act but I do think without it parts of Act 2 would hold far less weight.

And Thayne. Melt.

zzdawgg
#207HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/10/15 at 11:08pm

I can't stop listening to "Burn". It's absolutely incredible.

CoreyRyan3
#208HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/11/15 at 9:53am

^^^ Same. I think Burn is my favorite song from the show.

billyelliotfan123
#209HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/11/15 at 10:29am

^^ How did you guys hear it?

neonlightsxo
#210HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/11/15 at 11:48am

^ See the show, dear. But obviously, there also bootlegs floating around.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#211HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/11/15 at 1:15pm

I think Billelliotfan was referring to the fact that zzdawg said that she "can't stop listening to 'Burn'"

But yeah, the answer is probably that zzdawg has found a bootleg.

firebolts Profile Photo
firebolts
#212HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/11/15 at 7:42pm

What did you guys think of Phillipa Soo in the production? Loved her in NATASHA, PIERRE AND THE GREAT COMET OF 1812.

Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

getatme
#213HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/11/15 at 7:56pm

Her role isn't large, but she's a standout to be sure. She's got a stunning voice and she's given material that after seeing her in GREAT COMET, I wouldn't necessarily expect to hear her singing. She's also a very compelling actress and she's got some meaty, emotional stuff in the second act that she just knocks right out of the park.

firebolts Profile Photo
firebolts
#214HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/11/15 at 11:03pm

Awesome, glad to hear that she's doing so great (not that that surprises me).

Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

zzdawgg
#215HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/12/15 at 12:12am

...and she's absolutely beautiful.

broadfan327
#216HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/12/15 at 8:39am

I saw it last night, and I thought it was wonderful, the best musical so far this season. Lin told us during the talkback that the show is now frozen. The show ended around 10:45.

neonlightsxo
#217HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/12/15 at 10:53am

Phillipa is the female lead. How is that not large?

That's great that it's down to 2:45.

billyelliotfan123
#218HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/13/15 at 2:46pm

Public released a video!
http://youtu.be/jaSD7NY3SCo

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#219HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/13/15 at 2:56pm

I love that song! Well done. The video captured the excitement of the show, but it could have used more of King George. We got only a glimpse. But I guess they don't want to give it away.

Now, let's have another extension!

Updated On: 2/13/15 at 02:56 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#220HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/13/15 at 2:58pm

Love the video, thank you for sharing!!!

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#221HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/14/15 at 12:58pm

My friend who took me to the show last night turned to me afterwards and said, 'Is this what people felt after seeing Sweeney Todd in the 70's?'

It's the best thing I've ever seen. It's shocking how smart, deeply felt, funny and humane it is. Rap is present throughout and is used brilliantly, but it also spins into more traditional songs. The word-play is dazzling. The performances are all of a piece. It's the most confident musical storytelling I've seen in decades. I would say this is the most important musical in the last 30 years, but I'm afraid that would make it sound pompous or pretentious when it's anything but. It's always entertaining and always a step ahead of the audience. I wasn't prepared for the emotional wallop of the last half hour or so.

If you have to hook yourself out to get a ticket, it's worth it.

corthomas
#222HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/14/15 at 1:28pm

So since the whole run is sold out, is checking the website every day for cancellations and playing the todaytix and in person lotteries my only options? I'm only looking for one ticket...

RUkiddingme
#223HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/14/15 at 1:42pm

<>

Smartest comment here in weeks!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#224HAMILTON Previews...
Posted: 2/14/15 at 6:39pm

Robbie: my friend made the EXACT same comparison after we got out of the show this afternoon.

This is truly an astounding, game changing piece of theatre. I went in expecting to be dazzled and impressed. But I had tears streaming down my face at the end. I haven't cried at a piece of theatre like this in a very long time.

It's a landmark show. It's an important show. It's an intelligent, well-constructed, impeccably designed, directed, written, and performed show.

It is the best musical of the season. It will not be topped. It really can't be. It should transfer as quick as it can, simply so more people can see it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Videos