News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HERE LIES LOVE Reviews

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#151HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/2/23 at 10:14pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Jacobs and Conrad Ricamora performing “Opposite Attraction” on GMA3:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cxv7Tt5Ppo1/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
"

Yeah, this was definitely missing that spark needed to get the production’s whole vibe across. 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Sammy232
#152HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/3/23 at 7:02am

quizking101 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Jacobs and Conrad Ricamora performing “Opposite Attraction” on GMA3:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cxv7Tt5Ppo1/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
"

Yeah, this was definitely missing that spark needed to get the production’s whole vibe across.
"

I wish there was a way they could've done the performance from inside the theater, it seems like it would be really difficult to express how incredible this show is in a standalone performance like this?

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#153HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/3/23 at 8:42am

NoItAll said:

Has anyone noticed Filipinos cheering at seemingly inappropriate moments during the show. If so, it may be because they consider the murders and tortures of their countrymen to be features, not bugs. HLL is a show for:

Americans ignorant of the role their own country has played in the 20th century in bringing the Philippines to this dystopia, and

Filipino fascists in the diaspora.
"

It was obscene to see Filipinos cheering on and dancing to HLL’s nonsense.  And you raised a good point about HLL not even trying to address American complicity in enabling the Marcoses’ corruption and ability to inflict irreparable harm (the U.S. protected its own interests and treated Marcoses’ victims as collateral damage by, among other things, keeping its foothold in the region as part of its war against communism by maintaining its then-active American airbases in the Philippines, which the Marcoses happily supported.  Not surprising then or now that Reagan took Ferdinand, Imelda et al. to Hawaii when the Marcoses were booted out of the country in February 1986).

Updated On: 10/3/23 at 08:42 AM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#154HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/3/23 at 9:30am

Deleted. I'm really trying to not get riled up by politics. All kinds.  But it is hard.

Updated On: 10/3/23 at 09:30 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#155HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/3/23 at 10:30am

I’ve seen the show twice now and it’s probably the single most innovative Broadway staging I’ve ever seen, and with the energy, music, amazing cast I just can’t get enough of it. My general suggestion to everyone is go and get a standing rush ticket as soon as you can (I don’t really think it’s made to be seen from the mezz) and just enjoy this show while we still can. Life is too short and art like this is too rare to be wasting time complaining. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Det95
#156HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/4/23 at 8:48am

Hi Everyone, I've been following this show since the original off-broadway run and am finally able to see it this week. That being said, the person I'm going with is not able to stand for long periods, so I originally bought seats in the mezz. However, due to grosses this is probably the only opportunity I'm going to have to see the show, should I switch my ticket to the floor? I've been told that it's ok to ditch them by the person I'm going with. Any insight mezz v. floor? Thanks!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#157HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/4/23 at 9:30am

Det95 said: "Hi Everyone, I've been following this show since the original off-broadway run and am finally able to see it this week. That being said, the person I'm going with is not able to stand for long periods, so I originally bought seats in the mezz. However, due to grosses this is probably the only opportunity I'm going to have to see the show, should I switch my ticket to the floor? I've been told that it's ok to ditch them by the person I'm going with. Any insight mezz v. floor? Thanks!"

Always floor. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

meredithchandler73
#158HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/4/23 at 4:57pm

I've been fortunate to see the show from various locations and there really is nothing better than the floor - assuming you can stand for 90 minutes. I enjoyed it from all locations EXCEPT- if you get floorside seats, try to be near the middle or closer to the mezzanine. If you're closer to the "stage" area, there are curtains during one number early in the show that make your seats partial view. But that's just one small part of the show.

Det95
#159HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/5/23 at 12:51pm

binau said: "Det95 said: "Hi Everyone, I've been following this show since the original off-broadway run and am finally able to see it this week. That being said, the person I'm going with is not able to stand for long periods, so I originally bought seats in the mezz. However, due to grosses this is probably the only opportunity I'm going to have to see the show, should I switch my ticket to the floor? I've been told that it's ok to ditch them by the person I'm going with. Any insight mezz v. floor? Thanks!"

Always floor.
"

Snagged a $35 standing rush ticket at noon today (my first time “rushing” in person). Excited for tonight. Thanks! 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#160HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/5/23 at 12:55pm

Ouch... just got an email from show score about ticket availability thru them, free (plus handling fees that show score always assesses). I don't know how many tickets were/are available, but dates ranged about a month... floor Tix only. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

quizking101
#161HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 6:35pm

Jaygee Macapugay just posted that she has COVID so I wonder if any of the other Imelda understudies will go on in her place or if Arielle will go on and Jaygee will cover another day when she’s better

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

JasonC3
#162HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 7:07am

Peter Marks in the Washington Post writes about Here Lies Love's challenges (gift link).

quizking101
#163HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 7:49am

I went again last night for the People Power Disco Hour that was hosted by apl.de.ap from the Black Eyed Peas. Let me tell you, that was an AWESOME experience. The cast is dancing with everyone on the floor, the music was great, and Vina Morales joined in live singing, including some of the Fergie parts for the BEP songs.

Depending on who they get, HIGHLY recommend grabbing a floor ticket for those nights (I think they have them again on 10/19, 26, and Halloween). You MORE than get your money’s worth

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#164HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 12:11pm

JasonC3 said: "Peter Marks in the Washington Post writes about Here Lies Love's challenges (gift link)."

That's a great piece, and I'm glad they are trying every angle and that Shubert is sensitive to the uniqueness of the show and doesn't have someone else banging down the door of the Broadway. But ultimately this is probably going to be a heartbreaker for all those producers, and for those who want to see more immersive theater and AAPI stories. (I assume Diana DiMenna is the one footing the bill for these losses & new marketing initiatives; she is well intentioned and has a good head on her shoulders.)

Fordham2015
#165HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 8:25pm

John Mulaney talked up the show on Colbert last night, makes sense given his friendship with David Byrne

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#166HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/13/23 at 8:36pm

jsg03jd said: "

It was obscene to see Filipinos cheering on and dancing to HLL’s nonsense. And you raised a good point about HLL not even trying to address American complicity in enabling the Marcoses’ corruption and ability to inflict irreparable harm (the U.S. protected its own interests and treated Marcoses’ victims as collateral damage by, among other things, keeping its foothold in the region as part of its war against communism by maintaining its then-active American airbases in the Philippines, which the Marcoses happily supported. Not surprising then or now that Reagan took Ferdinand, Imelda et al. to Hawaii when the Marcoses were booted out of the country in February 1986)."

I think HLL absolutely address American complicity.  And brilliantly does it just as a bunch of American's are dancing to the catchy beat.  It wills us into the same submission that Americans were at the time and then scolds us for it in the following scenes.  Whether or not you got that same emotional journey out of the show, it absolutely notes the historical events you highlight here.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#167HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/17/23 at 9:49am

FYI, if anyone gets comps through Show-Score, there's 1 standing ticket available for tonight's show:

https://www.show-score.com/promotions/here-lies-love-broadway-standing-floor-member-nights

fisheyelenses
#168HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/23/23 at 10:21am

It was just announced Jasmine Forsberg (OBC Imelda's Inner Voice) is going to reprise Jane Seymour in the new replacement cast of SIX in December. Kind of wonder if that's foretelling something about HLL's prospects past the end of the year...

Jarethan
#169HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/23/23 at 2:41pm

Because there was so little to choose from in terms of new shows, I broke down and saw this on Sunday to make every possible use of my semi-annual trip.  Purchased a standing ticket (I am 72, so I did debate).  I sort of had the reaction that I expected to have.  I loved it for about 10 minutes, then I started getting bored because I did not like the music.

I thought the staging and production design were great, but I disliked the score (I don't like Byrne's music).  Alex Timbers is to me the anti-Jamie Lloyd, but I have loved both of their work, even when I did not like the show, e.g., Rocky and Betrayal.  (I do not think I have ever liked a Pinter play...think there is one, but I cannot remember).  I thought it was really interesting moving around for different views, but got tired and left after an hour.  I was sort of happy that I saw it because of the direction and stage design.  

So, very professional, did not engage me (did not help that I didn't get a lot of the lyrics), and I saw an extra show).

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#170HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/23/23 at 3:25pm

Sadly, I think this will reach its conclusion pretty soon. They should have done this a decade ago and seriously miscalculated Broadway's current landscape. 

quizking101
#171HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/23/23 at 3:42pm

Sutton Ross said: "Sadly, I think this will reach its conclusion pretty soon. They should have done this a decade ago and seriously miscalculated Broadway's current landscape."

There was a grossly incorrect thread started this morning about it closing on Sunday that, thankfully, since has been deleted.

From people I know who work with sales and also those affiliated with the show, the grosses for the next two weeks (not sure if that includes this past week or not) and their future potential will be the ultimate determining factors for closure.

I don’t expect this show to go immediately. I anticipate that the soonest it would close, if my sources are valid, would be November 19th

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#172HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/23/23 at 5:03pm

quizking101 said: "Sutton Ross said: "Sadly, I think this will reach its conclusion pretty soon. They should have done this a decade ago and seriously miscalculated Broadway's current landscape."

There was a grossly incorrect thread started this morning about it closing on Sunday that, thankfully, since has been deleted.

From people I know who work with sales and also those affiliated with the show, the grosses for the next two weeks (not sure if that includes this past week or not) and their future potential will be the ultimate determining factors for closure.

I don’t expect this show to go immediately. I anticipate that the soonest it would close, if my sources are valid, would be November 19th
"

I find it ODD that you chastise another thread and celebrate it being deleted, saying it was "grossly incorrect" ... but then say "if my source is correct" ... meaning you don't actually know anything? Yours could be just as egregiously incorrect.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

VintageSnarker
#173HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/24/23 at 12:46am

quizking101 said: "I don’t expect this show to go immediately. I anticipate that the soonest it would close, if my sources are valid, would be November 19th"

Thank you for your updates about the state of the show. My parents are finally back in town and I was wondering how much I should rush to take them. I have a good chunk of time between November 4th and 15th but I've been worried that I should try to go sooner. I had to wait for them to recover from their colds (not covid) from traveling.

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#174HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 10/25/23 at 11:16am

Wondering if the producers are holding out hope for Lea Salonga to return as soon as her Old Friends gig is up. Can they continue to bleed money until then?

Videos