News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

"Honeymoon in Vegas" Preview Thread- Page 3

"Honeymoon in Vegas" Preview Thread

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#50Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 8:35am

A bit early for that. It's a JRB show: the first test is if it can even stick around.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#51Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 8:42am

It will. This is more commercial than anything he's ever done and will garner raves once again.

SayitSomehow
#52Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:08am

I'm thinking mixed to positive on reviews.

I would hope this show wouldn't beat out Fun Home for the Tony. It's fun but derivative of past comedy outings, whereas I think Fun Home, like Next to Normal, treads some daring new territory and succeeds in spades. But I guess N2N didn't win either.

It should beat The Last Ship. What else will be competing this year?

Updated On: 11/19/14 at 09:08 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#53Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:21am

An American in Paris
Doctor Zhivago
Finding Neverland
It Shoulda Been You
The Last Ship

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#54Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:40am

I think Honeymoon will get a nod for sure and probably win. I'm not sure It Shoulda Been You will do very well. Dr. Z. Is not coming with great word of mouth. Finding Neverland didn't garner very good reviews.

Fun Home should've come last season. If i was a producer I'd pull the money out.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#55Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:44am

Fun Home's producers have nothing to be worried about at this time.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jeffrey Karasarides
#56Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:48am

"Dr. Z. Is not coming with great word of mouth. Finding Neverland didn't garner very good reviews."

Please keep in mind that Aladdin didn't get very good reviews while it was out-of-town in Toronto, but the creative team kept working on it every single day until opening night on Broadway to some surprisingly pretty good reviews and is still earning over $1,000,0000 a week (as well as several award nominations for Best Musical)!

So I wouldn't jump to conclusion just yet, we'll have to wait and see how much the creative teams for both shows will be working on them. Updated On: 11/19/14 at 09:48 AM

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#57Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:48am

They may not even get a nod let alone a win. Last season they'd have swept. The more commercially viable Honeymoon., written by Mr. Brown, who's never had a best musical win, coupled with Finding Neverland and An American in Paris would make me rethink it.

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#58Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 10:36am

The difference between Finding Neverland and Aladdin is Disney. Disney could put **** on a stick - and usually does -and people buy tickets like it is the second coming. Trust me the two shows are for very different audiences.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#59Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 10:44am

^They still made some creative changes!

FloydJoe2 Profile Photo
FloydJoe2
#60Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 11:45am

Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews

I don't think "Honeymoon In Vegas" is as commercial as some may think. The advance sale seems pretty bleak. If i posted the images correctly, next week has about half the house sold if not a little less and next month has maybe a quarter and January has not much at all. I mean, it may pick up with word of mouth / reviews but still, at this point I wouldn't say its a sure fire commercial hit.

Updated On: 11/19/14 at 11:45 AM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#61Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 12:03pm

"Sounds like JRB may have his Tony winner for best musical. Congrats!"

Congratulating someone on their June 2015 Tony win in November of 2014..... lolz.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#62Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 2:36pm

I think Fun Home will be fine. Remember, N2N was up against Billy Elliot, which, unlike a lot of Disney shows, was both an artistic and commercial success. I thought it was such a smart, clever show. Next to Normal is great too, but I can see why Billy Elliot won. Although, both seemed to be a tough sell on the road.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#63Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 3:36pm

I think Fun Home is a bit tougher of a sell than n2n was. And that year wasn't that tough-Billy was the only major competition really. I do think it's much more reliant on winning the big prize (it shouldn't be such but it matters). Honeymoon could be this year's Gentleman's Guide which weathers the winter to win. And that's showbiz. (I thought Billy was fine.) And all the new shows will pick up the pre-Tony steam...sooo that's a big disadvantage (and why I think they should've already done it).

Regardless, I think this might take it for some very real reasons, including marketability.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#64Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 3:49pm

Also keep in mind that Tony voters often vote for whatever show it was they enjoyed the most.

The Music Man>West Side Story
Two Gentleman of Verona>Follies
La Cage aux Folles>Sunday in the Park with George
City of Angels>Grand Hotel
The Will Rogers Follies>Everything Else
Thoroughly Modern Millie>Urinetown
Avenue Q>Wicked
Spamalot>The Light in the Piazza
Memphis>Fela!
Kinky Boots>Matilda
A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder>Everything Else

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#65Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 3:51pm

Not that I think Fun Home is a terribly easy sell, but unlike next to normal it already has heaps of critical acclaim, was shortlisted for a Pulitzer, and is based on an acclaimed and best selling graphic novel. Regardless, one preview of Honeymoon in Vegas means nothing whatsoever for its chances.

Happy to hear good news about this- I'm not always crazy about JRB, but it would be terrific to see him have a big fat hit. I hope I get to see it!

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

CoreyRyan3
#66Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 4:32pm

"They may not even get a nod let alone a win. Last season they'd have swept. The more commercially viable Honeymoon., written by Mr. Brown, who's never had a best musical win, coupled with Finding Neverland and An American in Paris would make me rethink it."

You can't be serious.

First of all, Fun Home won almost every award that it was in contention for last year Off-Broadway, it got absolute raves from nearly every reviewer, and it's opening on Broadway just days before the cut-off date for nominations.

If this show were to, say, open in November and struggle until April, it would STILL get a nod for Best Musical, because it's one of the best musicals of the last decade.

But because it's opening days before the cut-off, and it's likely to receive raves when it opens, it will be near shoe-in for a nom. If it sells even relatively well, which it did at The Public (it extended like 4 times), it will have a great chance at winning Best Musical.

To assume that just because it opened last year and won awards last season that it won't be in contention for the Tonys this year is silly.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#67Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 5:03pm

Ahem. I love the show but I'm a realist. People's memories get foggy and momentum is gained by other shows. I could see Honeymoon, An American in Paris, Finding Neverland, The Visit, just to name a few, gain the traction to win.

That's showbiz. (PS-n2n got raves-Brantley said it SHOULD have won-and it probably should have.) It's about coming out happy a lot with the Tony voters.

David2 Profile Photo
David2
#68Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 7:16pm

How has the house looked?? Pretty full?? Hoping this lasts a while so I can catch it this summer.

h6p8gv
#69Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 7:23pm

Can someone please post a song list?

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#70Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 7:33pm

Overture
I Love Betsy
Never Get Married
Anywhere But Here
When You Say Vegas
Out of the Sun
The Invitation
Forever Starts Tonight
Betsy's Getting Married
The Game
Come to an Agreement
Do Something
Entr'acte
Hawaii / Waiting for You
Everyday is Happy in Hawaii
Friki-Friki
You Made the Wait Worthwhile
A Little Luck
The Garden of Disappointed Mothers
Isn't That Enough?
Airport Song
Higher Love
I've Been Thinking
Elvii in Flight
Honeymoon in Vegas
Finale

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#71Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 8:01pm

Just from listening to the recording, I think it's a perfectly fine show, but nothing really stands out.

musicman_bwayfan
#72Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 8:42pm

Any information on how the side orchestra / partial view seats may be? Anything to avoid?

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#73Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:06pm

Went to the invited dress rehearsal Monday night and I loved it!
A throwback to the sixties musicals I love.

Changes from Papermill are mostly with the set. The set is great and much improved. There are some cast changes in minor roles but it is basically the same show.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#74Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 11/19/14 at 10:00pm

Is the band still onstage? And how big is the band?

Videos