News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 152

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#3775Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 2:05pm

thanks for the detailed revue jasonf...it sounds like the audience really enjoyed it as well...was it mostly a 'Broadway' audience?...

degrassifan
#3776Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 3:17pm

"I like that second IMDb review written by "a huge fan of musical theater" who had no idea what INTO THE WOODS is about."

Hahaha. Honestly, I'm a huge musical theatre fan and I don't know anything about Into the Woods. I just saw the recording of it a few months back for the first time once. I purposely haven't rewatched it or listened to the cast recording because I want to see the film unbiased.
Updated On: 12/12/14 at 03:17 PM

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#3777Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 4:04pm

I would say that it was probably a pretty big Broadway audience. The screening was at the AMC on 2nd Ave. Most of the people I overheard talking seemed familiar with the show.

One funny piece - they took our cell phones before the movie so no one could bootleg anything (Disney is funny that way). When we sat down, they had a screen up saying "Tweet about getting to see the movie early" with a hashtag and everything. Literally EVERY single person who came in made a comment about how we would be glad to -- if only we had our phones!

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3778Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 4:55pm

How does the collection and return of cell phones work??

ArtMan
#3779Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 5:01pm

Jason, prohibiting cellphones at screenings, is not just a Disney thing. The bigger the movie, the probability that you won't be allowed to bring it into the theatre. I see a minimum, of two screenings a month, and almost always are not allowed to bring them in. I just scored a ticket for a screening of Into The Woods, on Monday, and I'm so glad they are enforcing the no cellphone policy.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3780Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 5:23pm

How do they collect and label the phones? Need to know because I'll be at a screening on Thursday..

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#3781Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 5:24pm

Ah - I didn't know that - this was the first screening I've been to. They just stand outside the theater and collect our phones in bags with a ticket - like a coat check. Not a big deal really, we just weren't expecting it.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#3782Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 6:28pm

I saw a screening this morning. I just loved it! Streep is amazing and vocally, she's got the chops. I really enjoyed everyone and I think my biggest surprise was Chris Pine; stole every scene he was in...in a good way.

I don't want to give too much away, but there is a song missing towards the end of the film...though it underscores the scene, just no vocals. Once you've seen the film, I think you'll agree with me that if the character sang that song at that moment, they'd have to squeegee the tears from the floor of the theater. While I love the song, I think it would've been just *too* much...

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3783Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 6:58pm

How do they collect and label the phones? Need to know because I'll be at a screening on Thursday..?

Social security number, DNA sample and they'll need to... see your nectarines.

Updated On: 12/12/14 at 06:58 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3784Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 7:23pm

^ Funny! But with an $850 iPhone 6 plus, I wanted to know exactly what they'll be doing with it.

Updated On: 12/12/14 at 07:23 PM

cryan71
#3785Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 7:35pm

Just got back from the WGA screening -- really well done. Probably one of the better movie versions of a Broadway musical. The Princes song Agony was really funny. Not a weak spot in the casting (so no obvious Russell Crowe). Loved the giants.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3788Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 8:32pm

God, that Blunt/Kendrick "more than anything" from the first part of the prologue bugs. Don't know if it's the way their voices blend, the engineering of the recording or something else, but it sounds so odd, so harsh. Surprised that wasn't fixed during mastering.

Showface
#3789Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 8:53pm

How does Streep's full Last Midnight sound? (I don't want to listen yet)

Wonderful NEW Tv Spot (Talks about nominations)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn98ro5Pwss

These Beans Carry Magic Clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeFrAuIVkcI

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#3790Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 8:58pm

You can always count on Ellen for a good laugh..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzIlBnQARIU

somechrysanthemumtea Profile Photo
somechrysanthemumtea
#3791Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 9:01pm

Showface - regarding Streep's Last Midnight, if I remember correctly, it sounds quite nice. It's not horrible and she is sort of say-singing it. Sort of like Stay With Me but more expressed and a lot of emotion.

Horse Tears - regarding their voices together, I agree, very tense and harsh together, ah well, the orchestra makes up for it.

ljay889 - Maybe you should just leave your phone at home if you're so concerned they're going to lose/misplace your iPhone. I'm sure other people who have attended screenings have had iPhones, and nothing has been reported as missing or anything.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#3792Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 9:10pm

EVERYONE had an iphone at my screening. I wouldn't worry about it.

I thought Last Midnight was very well acted. There's a clever little twist with her delivery of it that I thought was brilliant.

They also did a really nice job with Children Will Listen at the end, given that the witch and Baker's Wife are gone...

Hagenisnotakitty Profile Photo
Hagenisnotakitty
#3793Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 9:11pm

Meryl was very breathy at first, but I think it really works, and it probably will be really dramatic onscreen.

Also, I did the big ugly no-no and listened to the full prologue (I HAVE NO SELF-CONTROL, I'M SORRY). Meryl rocked the Witch's Rap. My previous comment about the changes to that scene are now outdated, as this sounded like it worked.

I didn't, however, care for the big pauses they gave the characters between lines near the end. ("Into the woods to sell the cow!" (dun dun duh-NA na-NA) "To get the money!" (dun dun duh-NA na-NA) "To go to the festival!") But maybe it will work better on screen. Also, there was an absolutely random chorus that joined in on the last "Into the Woods!" refrain, which was odd.

But I've been reduced to NITPICKS, so that's gotta say something.

Updated On: 12/12/14 at 09:11 PM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#3794Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 9:23pm

I just wish the Disney Store made merchandise for this movie. I'd kill for my very own Baker's Wife or Witch doll.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3795Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 9:29pm

Pull the string and her belly slowly balloons?

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3796Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 10:01pm

Did that new TV spot reveal more of the transformation? Well that's not a secret to Disney apparently.

13 days left... It's been some ride hasn't it? From the 2012 announcement, to Rob Marshall being hired, to the dreaded casting of Sophia Grace that thankfully never happened, to filming, to speculation, and now the early reviews and marketing are coming full swing. Can't wait to be in theaters opening day.

Wildcard
#3797Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 10:14pm

What I wish they had was a coffee table book similar to what Chicago, Sweeney Todd and Les Mis have

binau Profile Photo
binau
#3798Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 11:31pm

Interestingly, Vanessa Williams would have liked to the play the witch on film. I suppose this is obvious (I'm sure Bernadette would have said yes if she was offered the role, haha), but it's still interesting to hear it out loud.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/12/12/vanessa-williams-meryl-streep-got-my-into-woods-role/

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3799Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/13/14 at 1:09am

I'll say this about Johnny Depp (who is good enough) at the end of the "Hello Little Girl" track... His howl makes the previous wolves look like high school students in comparison.

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos