News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 160

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#3975Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 10:58am

I saw the movie Monday night and I completely disagree with the Voice review. Marshall may not be Orson Welles, but he comes very close to nailing the intricacies of both the opening scene as well as other transitions.

I found only two scenes that were handled clumsily.

SPOILER:

With Ever After cut, the scenes of the wedding outside the castle, all of the characters winking at one another, and the segue to the Giant's arrival feels forced and poorly edited.

The second scene that I have a problem with is the short scene after the Giant's wife is killed. All of the characters are looking for one another, as Jack and then the Baker can't be found. It should have been reshot.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#3976Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 10:58am

Not that I ever trust the English critics, but very positive from The Telegraph...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/11298668/Into-the-Woods-review-Meryl-Streep-Emily-Blunt-Anna-Kendrick.html

...mixed-to-positive from The Guardian...

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/dec/17/into-the-woods-review-meryl-streep-rob-marshall-stephen-sondheim

...and mixed from The Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/into-the-woods-film-review-meryl-streep-performs-with-a-winning-mix-of-spite-panache-and-wit-9929855.html

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES
Updated On: 12/17/14 at 10:58 AM

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#3977Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:03am

i actually had NO PROBLEM with the above link...why did you say it is a virus?...

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3978Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:04am

Oh, man. You're gonna be sorry you clicked that link...

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#3979Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:06am

God I wish the hive-mind/gestapo at this board had relented and allowed an "ITW reviews" thread... Reviews and a score just now appearing on RottenTomatoes today and we're already on page 160 here.

Updated On: 12/17/14 at 11:06 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3980Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:07am

Well, the thread is now discussing reviews, so I don't really... understand the criticism there.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#3981Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:10am

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3982Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:14am

I would rather we keep things that has to do with the film in here anyway.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#3983Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:15am

Jordan.. PEACE!

Updated On: 12/17/14 at 11:15 AM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#3984Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:18am

Corine your link is titled Go Into The WORDS. Was that intentional?

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#3985Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:19am

"Well, the thread is now discussing reviews, so I don't really... understand the criticism there."

Most big-news shows have had separate review threads, detached from the rumor threads and casting threads, etc. And no matter how the title gets changed along the way, it still says "Into the Woods Movie Cast" on the main board page. Plus 160 pages/almost 4k posts is a LOT of content to scroll through to see just one aspect of the film: reviews.

What's wrong with compartmentalizing threads? BWW isn't gonna run out of hard drive space. Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

Updated On: 12/17/14 at 11:19 AM

Jordan Catalano
#3986Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:19am

You first, Corine. I'll get you a free ticket up to a cliff (since that's the only way you'd ever go to one) and you can hobble off of it.

Updated On: 12/17/14 at 11:19 AM

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#3987Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:23am

The "Go Into the Woods" site really needs an editor... and I was "huh?" with: "Some of the changes included no sexual relations with the big bad wolf played by Johnny Depp."

Don't remember ANY production where Red has "sexual relations" with the wolf... yikes.

Jordan Catalano
#3988Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:27am

Searching for anything resembling "journalism" in a Corine review is like trying to find meaning in a Pauly Shore movie.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#3989Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:28am

I wanted to answer but Jordan's avatar has me hypnotized...

Jordan Catalano
#3990Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:29am

Google him and be hypnotized all day long...

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#3991Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:34am

"Don't remember ANY production where Red has "sexual relations" with the wolf... yikes."

There's a strong sexual subtext. The innuendo was taken to new heights at Shakespeare in the Park, with more than a suggestion of Wolf's eating Red going, yes, there! Many here on bww were not at all amused!

By all accounts, the erotic tensions between Red and Wolf have been turned down big time in the movie, which, given that Lilla Crawford, an actual little girl is playing Red, seems an unimpeachable choice (or perhaps impeachable only if one also complains about the casting of an actual child).

Updated On: 12/17/14 at 11:34 AM

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#3992Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:41am

There was no denying the penis in the original production. However you interpret it, either literally, or figuratively, LRRH is changed from naive to experienced. She "knows things now" and I don't think it's just the inside of the Wolf.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#3993Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:44am

I've seen the PBS video obviously, and several other productions live... There's always subtext and innuendo, but "has sexual relations" is a ompletely different thing.

Saw the movie Monday; minus the furry penis from the original production, there's still a bit of pervy innuendo. The kids' roles are made more touching being played by actual kids, but it also reduces how "unsubtle" you can be. Still works.

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#3994Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:45am

This line in the Hollywood Reporter review:

"Billy Magnussen is equally good as the Prince's younger brother, blinded by love for Rapunzel. "

I see what they did there. Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#3995Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 1:44pm

Yes. It is a number from Forbidden Broadway. It was intentional.
I remember the furry penis as well. I meant sexual subtext but took that out.

Updated On: 12/17/14 at 01:44 PM

Starship
#3996Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 1:53pm

I too would've loved a separate thread for the reviews, but sometimes you just gotta deal.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#3997Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 2:00pm

I wish there was a separate thread for the separatists in this thread.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#3998Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 2:10pm

You could always start an independent thread yourself, jpbran.

It may be a little awkward now, but in the mists of time, anybody searching for info on the movie will be grateful it's all on one thread, especially with the search function the way it is.

Or maybe not. 160 pages is a lot to wade through, admittedly.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$
Updated On: 12/17/14 at 02:10 PM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3999Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 2:21pm

Well, growl had started a separatists thread. But anyway, Rotten Tomatoes has a 78% for early reviews, that's not bad considering Rob Marshall's previous films after CHICAGO.

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos