News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 159

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

Mrtrobz
#3950Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 11:43pm

Amidst the hacking scandal do you think this will still do as well as projected, people could potentially be afraid to go to the cinema if it is screened with The Interview. It could be a pretty damaging time for Into the Woods although admittedly if it gets pulled from theatres and with Annie suffering from an unfortunate leak then this could well end up being the major film this holiday season.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#3951Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 11:44pm

Musical Master: After the mess that was NINE. Yes, there was some level of doubt.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#3952Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 11:53pm

Thanks for your insights, IdinaBellFoster!

I just wanted to note that Meryl has three Oscars, not four (though I would love to see her pick up her fourth for Into the Woods and still think she's Arquette's biggest competition).

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#3953Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 12:37am

PianoMann, Thank you for catching that! I knew she only had 3, wishful thinking about that 4th on my part! haha

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3954Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 12:41am

@IdinaBellFoster, I remember when Rob Marshall was confirmed to direct it and EVERYONE was worried and judging the thing before anything was ever shot. Ah those were the days.

Now he has got to make FOLLIES at this point.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#3955Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 12:50am

I thought it was just a typo (considering how frequently Meryl and awards have come up in this thread) and yes, definitely wishful thinking here, too. If the timing was right, The Witch would have been the perfect role for her next Oscar, and we've all seen the glowing notices she's received.

Musical Master
#3956Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 12:59am

To all those who are afraid of the "bomb threats" when THE INTERVIEW hits theaters, you really should have NOTHING to worry about.

Mrtrobz
#3957Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 1:09am

In a bittersweet way if that movie gets pulled from the majority of cinemas then Into the Woods loses one of its most major box office competitors, Night of the museum stands in its way and the reviews aren't great for that but it is also a film dedicated and starting Robin Williams so it could have the Heath Ledger effect.

It is the holidays so families will want to see a family film with the kids off school Into the Woods may be just the ticket. Updated On: 12/17/14 at 01:09 AM

Musical Master
#3958Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 1:14am

@Mrtrobz, You have nothing to worry about I think that nothing will go wrong, everything will open as scheduled.

But I don't agree that the "Heath Ledger effect" will happen here. THE DARK NIGHT and NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM are vastly different films and people have been saying that while Robin is doing good as he usually did, the trailer was all sorts of cringe-worthy awful and that they rather skip it. Updated On: 12/17/14 at 01:14 AM

Mrtrobz
#3959Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 1:25am

I am hoping both this movie and Annie get enough success so they can green light more movie musicals, in the case of Annie that could end up like Rock of Ages but here's hoping for a smash success for ITW! As for me I will have to wait until the 9th for this one as I am in the UK.

Updated On: 12/17/14 at 01:25 AM

jimmycurry01
#3960Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 2:25am

The only bomb at the movie theaters will be The Interview. It looks like drivel, and looks like it will tank at the box-office.

AnthonyB Profile Photo
AnthonyB
#3961Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 7:57am

I'm also in the UK. Mrtrobz, I like your way of thinking

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#3962Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 9:27am

reviews by both THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER and VARIETY are in.....AND IT'S A HIT!...YAY!!!...sorry i can't link you but i'm on a new iMac and don't know how...truly sorry

Updated On: 12/17/14 at 09:27 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3963Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 9:47am

"But such fears are swiftly allayed by director Rob Marshall, who, um, marshals Sondheim’s cavalcade of fairytale all-stars on to the screen in a faithful, never particularly inspired, but supremely respectable version — one that outclasses Marshall’s prior “Chicago” and “Nine”
Variety's Review

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3964Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 9:57am

"But Rob Marshall, who directed a commercially successful example in Chicago and a misconceived dud in Nine, hits a sweet spot between cinematic and theatrical with his captivating film of Into the Woods. This twisty fairy-tale mash-up shows an appreciation for the virtues of old-fashioned storytelling, along with a welcome dash of subversive wit. It benefits from respect for the source material, enticing production values and a populous gallery of sharp character portraits from a delightful cast."
Hollywood Reporter review

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#3965Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 10:02am

Great reviews so far! This quote from The Wrap stands out to me:

Then there’s the miscasting of Crawford and Huttlestone: Both actors are so young that it removes the undercurrent of sexual awakening from the piece. This isn’t a from-left-field reading of the material, either; when Red Riding Hood sings about being “excited and scared” by her encounter with the Wolf, or Jack mentions the giant breast of the woman in the sky, you don’t have to be Bruno Bettelheim to connect the dots.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3966Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 10:11am

"The wishing for a big-screen Into the Woods might best the reality, too, despite Kendrick's glittering turn and the wonders of Sondheim's brittle-witty score, which is mostly intact. Onstage, Into the Woods is an exhausting triumph -- it's the show whose first half your relatives adore, and whose second, when Grimm and Freud met Pirandello, leaves them restless and discomfited. Onscreen, exhaustion sets in much earlier."

Village Voice

Musical Master
#3967Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 10:17am

Really good reviews so far, I'm really excited for this now.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#3968Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 10:30am

That Voice review isn't particularly good, and this passage reinforces a fear I've had ever since learning Rob Marshall would helm it:

"In a live performance, we can observe multiple stories at once, the actors occupying different copses -- we're invited to savor the correspondences. In the movie, director Rob Marshall simply cuts from one tale to the next, isolating his actors. There's little sense that the fairytale space is a shared one."

I don't think that's an issue of live theater vs. film. I think that's an issue of bad direction.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#3969Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 10:34am

so "them'...i say wait until you see the movie for yourself so you can decided whether Marshall's direction works...is the Village Voice usually a harsh critic?...

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3970Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 10:36am

"In a live performance, we can observe multiple stories at once, the actors occupying different copses -- we're invited to savor the correspondences. In the movie, director Rob Marshall simply cuts from one tale to the next, isolating his actors. There's little sense that the fairytale space is a shared one."

Oh man, this really has been my biggest fear all along.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#3971Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 10:47am

My review of Into The Woods.

Review of Into The Woods. (Go Into The Words) Updated On: 12/17/14 at 10:47 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3972Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 10:51am

DON'T CLICK THAT LINK! IT'S A VIRUS!!!!!

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#3973Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 10:51am

I loved the film here is my review.

Hope it's better written than that statement.

Musical Master
#3974Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 10:52am

I wouldn't worry about it Jordan, VILLAGE VOICE is filled with hard to please people and I usually don't take their word for it most of the time.

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos