News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Jewish Broadway Stars

#50re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 11:25am

Yeah, I checked, Adam Pascal is Jewish.
Ok, Jane2 or Jane1, why does Adam Sandler make a Hanukah song? He just wants to share the fun or whatever. It doesn't mean that he's insanely weird or obsessed with Jewish celebrities.
Updated On: 1/2/06 at 11:25 AM

DefyingPopular
#51re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 11:35am

i could be wrong but i believe Carole Shelley is Jewish.

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#52re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 11:36am

I think Adam Sandler started the Hanukah Song to have fun, with the added bonus of making those Jews who feel all alone on Christmas time feel like they belong. He adds to it most every year--it's getting ridiculous! re: Jewish Broadway Stars

Liev Schreiber and Aaron Lazar are also Jewish, as is Carole Shelley ("I'm the only Jewish person in the cast and I'm playing the shiksa!" as she said in an interview when she was doing Cabaret).

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth
Updated On: 1/2/06 at 11:36 AM

futurebroadwaystar1 Profile Photo
futurebroadwaystar1
#53re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 11:49am

Is Norbert jewish? He plays alot of Jewish roles...

"With only so much time to spend, don't want to waste the time I'm given!" ~Tick Tick Boom

thtrteacher
#54re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 12:10pm

Isn't Bebe Neuwirth Jewish?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#55re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 1:08pm

Oy vey. Norbert is not Jewish, though with a name as brutal as Norbert Leo Butz, we might as well make him an honorary Jew.

For those of you who don't know, we Jews are often blessed with not such great names.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 1/2/06 at 01:08 PM

JACXR71 Profile Photo
JACXR71
#56re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 1:11pm

I would definitely say Norbert is an honorary Jew.

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

alli2
#57re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 1:20pm

Jeff Goldblum.

Oh and yes Marc Kudish... when everyone at Chitty had xmas wrapping paper on their dressing room door, he had Channukah wrapping paper on his, so cute!

#58re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 2:44pm

Bebe Neuwirth is Jewish. So are Hal Linden and Tony Roberts.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#59re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 4:26pm

Is Carole Shelley Jewish?

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#60re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 5:39pm

Oscar Hammerstein was Jewish? I thought that he was Catholic and rather devoted. (Not cheating on his wife, not cursing, writing about inspirational topics, etc.)

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#61re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 5:56pm

Yes she is, Elphaba3.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

Dollypop
#62re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 7:32pm

Carol Lawrence is Italian. She is (or was) a Roman Catholic.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Magicupoursleeves Profile Photo
Magicupoursleeves
#63re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 7:36pm

I think Joanna Gleason is Jewish.

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#64re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 8:17pm

Adding to the list: Eli Wallach and the late great Judy Holliday. She's somebody I wish I had seen on stage. She passed away when I was a kid. Unique talent.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#65re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 9:24pm

Kristin Chenoweth
Tom Cruise

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

FrancisGumm Profile Photo
FrancisGumm
#66re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 9:57pm

tom cruise is just WEIRD! isnt he a scientologist?

and i THINK i heard/read somewhere in an interview that sutton was jewish? not that it matters

"Beating AIDS and extreme, stupid poverty, this is our moon shot. This is our civil rights struggle, our anti-apartheid movement. This is what the history books will remember our generation for--or blame us for, if we fail."-Bono

FrancisGumm Profile Photo
FrancisGumm
#67re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 9:57pm

"Beating AIDS and extreme, stupid poverty, this is our moon shot. This is our civil rights struggle, our anti-apartheid movement. This is what the history books will remember our generation for--or blame us for, if we fail."-Bono
Updated On: 1/2/06 at 09:57 PM

Sumofallthings
#68re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 10:27pm

No both Chenoweth and Cruise are professed Jews.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#69re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 10:33pm

Oy. Sutton is not, nor is any other Foster, a Jew.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Sumofallthings
#70re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/2/06 at 10:37pm

That's why Hunter didn't get nominated for Urinetown.

RentLondon
#71re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/3/06 at 1:50pm

I cant believe no one said Jackie Mason (the real king of broadway) and some dude called Paul Scott Goodman

jasobres
#72re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/3/06 at 1:57pm

Seth Rudetsky is Jewish...and gay...and the "queen of Broadway."

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

YankeeGal#24 Profile Photo
YankeeGal#24
#73re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/3/06 at 2:05pm

Tom Cruise is a Scientologist, not Jewish, as far as religion, not heritage goes. Remember his rants about not taking meds or going to therapy, and that vitamins conquer all? Those comments were made based on what Scientology teaches.

"You ask four guys, you get four different versions" ~ Tommy DeVito, Jersey Boys

jasobres
#74re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/3/06 at 2:09pm

Oh and incidentally, Cheno is not Jewish, she is a devoted Christian. (In a few of her photos, she wears a cross necklace.)

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

Videos