News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Jewish Broadway Stars

Behind_the_Spotlight
#100re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/4/06 at 1:00pm

Yeah, he is. Though he was quoted somewhere as saying something like "Christmas is my favorite holiday, even though I'm Jewish." It made me laugh. :)

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#101re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/4/06 at 1:32pm

"Did you know that Shoshana is actually Hebrew for "flower"?"

More specifically it means Rose. "Perach" (pronounced pear-ach, yes, with the phlegmy sound at the end) actually means flower.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#102re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/4/06 at 1:36pm

I'm trying to find the interview where Adam talks about Christmas, being Jewish, etc. I'm pretty sure it was along the lines of that his favorite holiday is "Christmas, even though I don't celebrate it." I think I remember reading/hearing that he was half Jewish, or something, but hell if I know. He does make good Jewish jokes, whatever he is.

ETA -- I found the link on Google, but the site itself no longer exists. It was an interview done by like... a high school student or something -- I distinctly remember a site that had a photo of this girl with Adam in his dressing room, and she interviewed him -- bunch of random questions, really. For instance, the Google summary has a bit that says his favorite food is "Cuban Chinese" food. What the hell is Cuban Chinese food? Anyway, that's *definitely* the link, but it's gone. Sorry.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/4/06 at 01:36 PM

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#103re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/4/06 at 2:16pm

Yeah, Adam makes good Jewish jokes...I loved when he referenced the Hagaddah at the Symphony Space Interview re: Jewish Broadway Stars

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#104re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/4/06 at 2:49pm

Ron Silver, Bob Balaban, Bill Macy, Ron Perlman, Jackie Hoffman, Marissa Jane Wincur-...

GE Valt!

#105re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/4/06 at 3:51pm

Haha I am loser and checked to see about Adam Pascal, and it says that he's 100% Jewish. Exciting.

lovepuppy
#106re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/4/06 at 4:04pm

>>and being "Jewish" doesn't necessarily mean one follows that religion either. For example: Idina Menzel. Okay, list her as Jewish, but she quit Hebrew school before she was ever bat mitvah'd and, well...yeah. She seems to be pretty open about not really following any particular religion.

I'm sure there are plenty of other "Jewish" performers around like that.

Maybe so, but she was married under a chuppah. Who knows, maybe it was to placate her parents. But she and Taye reportedly brought both of their faiths/traditions to their wedding.

Brad Garrett is Jewish too--that shocked me when I heard it but I guess it's true!

I think Adam Pascal is half-Jewish but doesn't practice anyway.

And Rain Pryor (Richard Pryor's daughter--admittedly not a Broadway person but is going on tour with a one-woman show called "Fried Chicken and Latkes" so please don't flame me--) is half-Jewish, pretty neat, huh! :)

"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." "I dare say you haven't had the practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." --Alice in Wonderland
Updated On: 1/4/06 at 04:04 PM

luvtheEmcee
#107re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/4/06 at 4:08pm

What is this "it" that says Adam's 100% Jewish? Just curious.

I think that Adam's parents are divorced, which could easily impact his situation, but again, hell if I know. The details are his deal really, though, not ours.

Updated On: 1/4/06 at 04:08 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#108re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/4/06 at 4:16pm

Thanks Em, now I'm craving Cuban Chinese food. No idea what it is, but it sounds good. Did you try caching the page to see if the article came up? Sometimes that works.

This is completely random, but is Michael McGrath actually half-Jewish? I just thought it would be funny if he was because of his line in Spamalot.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

luvtheEmcee
#109re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/4/06 at 5:47pm

I seriously want to know what Cuban Chinese food is!

I cached the page and it worked!! You've got to scroll way, way down to find it, but it's at the link on the bottom of this post.

The section is called "Former Teen Rocker Rocks Broadway."

Favorite holiday: "Christmas. Even though I'm Jewish, Christmas is the most fun!"

Mystery solved! Well, the non Cuban Chinese food mystery, that is. Maybe it's meant to say Cuban OR Chinese? He says the Emcee is his dream role; that's warm and fuzzy, right there. Cute picture, but Adam, that shirt! re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Click me!

Updated On: 1/4/06 at 05:47 PM

lovepuppy
#110re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/4/06 at 6:24pm

"Does he sing in the shower: Nope that's my quiet time!"

Aww.

"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." "I dare say you haven't had the practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." --Alice in Wonderland

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#111re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/4/06 at 6:25pm

"Well, just saying that when someone asks this type of question and they say "it really doesn't matter, I'm just curious", you can bet there's more than that reason for asking. I'd like to know why the curiosity about who's Jewish? I doubt if I'll get more of an answer than "just curious", or "because they're public figures". Lame. There are public figures of all religions and lifestyles. Why are you wondering about Jews? If you have nothing to hide with this curiosity, then let's hear your reason. That's how I feel about this type of thread. Carry on. '

One: I am Jewish and like to learn about actors and actresses who I share traits with. And Two: I like to learn as much as possible about people I admire.

Thise are the reasons why I find this interesting.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

#112re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/8/06 at 3:34pm

Tony Randall was Jewish. So is his longtime pal Jack Klugman.

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#113re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/8/06 at 6:25pm

Hank Azria is a sephardic jew.
I believe Greg Edelman is a non-practicing jew.
Henry Goodman is jewish
Harold Pinter and Tom Stoppard are both of jewish descent.
Lauren Bacall is jewish

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

#114re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 1/8/06 at 11:15pm

I believe Zoe Wanamaker is half Jewish. Her dad was the late actor Sam Wanamaker who was Jewish. I don't think her mother is Jewish.

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#115re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 9/15/06 at 9:57pm

bumpage
Is Mary Faber Jewish?

Yankeefan007
#116re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 9/15/06 at 10:03pm

Could be.

bwayondabrain
#117re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 9/15/06 at 10:03pm

i think she would make a very hot Jew, if she is one

anyone know? good question,jamesmacon!

:)

SweetQintheLights
#118re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 9/15/06 at 10:04pm

James- I don't know...I don't think so but...

This is a radom threadjack- do you live in S. Jersey?

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#119re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 9/15/06 at 10:04pm

No - Why...?

SweetQintheLights
#120re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 9/15/06 at 10:08pm

Just wondering. It's a long story.

re: Jewish Broadway Stars

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

Charlayne Vivika Profile Photo
Charlayne Vivika
#121re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 9/16/06 at 4:17am

I'm partially Jewish, and partial to Jewish men!

Jeanne51
#122re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 9/27/06 at 7:11am

"just because Foster is not a "jewish name" doesnt mean that one cant be jewish. i know a jew named McMillan!"

I agree, the name doesn't tell the whole story. I know a Cohen who isn't Jewish.

musicaltheatrefan3 Profile Photo
musicaltheatrefan3
#123re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 6/9/08 at 10:57pm

Idina actually is Jewish. She records Hanukkah songs, does Hanukkah, said that she would raise her kids (at least) partially Jewish, did a Hebrew song, she's Jewish, but she's just not Orthodox or religious. And she did Hebrew school. She said that "Eleka nahmen nahmen" sounded like Hebrew to her. Also, this does not make one a Jew, but she performed at Bar Mitzvahs for years.

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#124re: Jewish Broadway Stars
Posted: 6/9/08 at 11:08pm

And you bumped this thread why...

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

Videos