News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 117

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

thebeautyis3
#2900SMASH
Posted: 5/25/13 at 3:38pm

There have been a bunch of spoilers by a PA (I believe) on Datalounge. Should I post them here under a warning or start a new thread?

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#2901SMASH
Posted: 5/25/13 at 5:09pm

^please do and tag it with a spoiler warning!!

Gothampc
#2902SMASH
Posted: 5/25/13 at 5:58pm

The last scene of Smash has Ellis sneak up behind Eileen and pull off her wig. She turns around and we see that it's been John Waters all along.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

FindingNamo
#2903SMASH
Posted: 5/25/13 at 10:44pm

That is not a wig!!!!!!!! Is it?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

kieranbec Profile Photo
kieranbec
#2904SMASH
Posted: 5/26/13 at 3:21am

I don't think so.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2905SMASH
Posted: 5/26/13 at 6:40am

(It's true.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#2906SMASH
Posted: 5/26/13 at 7:51am

13 hours to go for those of us on the East Coast. Everyone have their tissues and eulogies ready?

thebeautyis3
#2907SMASH finale spoilers
Posted: 5/26/13 at 11:56am

Okay, so these are the spoilers that have been floating around, apparently started by a PA who worked on the show on Datalounge. So... you might want to take these with a grain of salt.

********SPOILERS***********

- Ivy and Karen are both nominated for Lead Actress. Ivy, Leigh Conroy, and Mara Davi's character (sorry, don't remember the name) are nominated for Featured. They are nominated against the likes of Audra McDonald, Sutton Foster, and Lindsay Mendez, though the PA noted that it was filmed in such a way that the other nominees' names could be dubbed over and changed.
- Jimmy wins one (and only one) award. He gets emotional about it, presumably due to Kyle. (The person on Datalounge, "bellhop," noted that he thought Jeremy Jordan's acting was hilariously bad here.)
- Derek wins at least one award. He gets boo-ed and calls someone (possibly the audience) "wankers."
- There's also been a rumor going around on different sites, though I don't know where it originated, that Mara Davi's character takes home the Featured Actress award.

************END SPOILERS*****************

Should be an interesting night. I have a sneaking suspicion that Hit List is going to win Best Musical in Smash world.

Updated On: 5/26/13 at 11:56 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#2908SMASH finale spoilers
Posted: 5/26/13 at 12:11pm

And so we come to the final curtain

....but the world goes 'round

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#2909SMASH finale spoilers
Posted: 5/26/13 at 1:03pm

Thanks for the spoilers. My guess is we get a mix of awards split between Bombshell and Hit List, with Bombshell taking Best Musical for two reasons. One, once upon a time the show was about Bombshell's journey and a Tony would be a nice ending to that arc. Second, Eileen's producing Bombshell and Jerry's producing Hit List and having Eileen win would fit her arc. On the other hand, Hit List is the creation of this year's showrunner and that can't be discounted.

If Ivy's indeed nominated in two categories, then I'd bet on Karen getting Best Actress and Ivy getting Best Featured Actress. That would fit the Karen Is The Most Amazing Actress And Bestest Muse Ever arc and would allow Ivy to best her mother, which was one of her arcs. That wouldn't be my choice, but this is Smashland.

In Smashland, the two bad boy geniuses must be rewarded. Derek can win Best Director and Jimmy Best Actor. Tom and Julia can win (their first Tony?) for their score as their partnership ends. Ellis rushes the stage ala Kanye. If Kyle gets Best Book, maybe he'll descend from above and lead Smash to a higher and better place, once more "Introducing Katherine McPhee".

thebeautyis3
#2910SMASH finale spoilers
Posted: 5/26/13 at 1:14pm

I'm wondering if Ivy takes home Best Actress. Tom made a comment earlier in the season about Leigh winning a Tony while pregnant with Ivy (foreshadowing?), and Megan Hilty said in an interview that Ivy fans would be happy with the ending. I'm kind of getting a feeling that she wins that award, and then Hit List wins Best Musical so that even though Karen goes home empty-handed, she was still a part of something "special."

I do feel like it would be ridiculous to have Hit List win since Bombshell is the show the audience has been following for two years and is generally more well-liked by Smash's audience. And, like you said, that wouldn't fit Eileen's arc. Plus, wouldn't it be kind of a slap in the face to Shaiman and Wittman who have been working on the show since the beginning? However, Hit List is Safran's baby. He is obsessed with the Rent parallels, which would lend itself to Hit List winning. And he said there would be "winners and losers," so is Eileen one of those losers?

dramamama611
#2911SMASH finale spoilers
Posted: 5/26/13 at 1:19pm

And since its fiction, how is it a slap in the face to anyone real?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SporkGoddess
#2912SMASH finale spoilers
Posted: 5/26/13 at 1:46pm

Please, am I expected to believe that Audra McDonald wouldn't win?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

dramamama611
#2913SMASH finale spoilers
Posted: 5/26/13 at 2:09pm

Bwahaha!

kieranbec Profile Photo
kieranbec
#2914SMASH finale spoilers
Posted: 5/26/13 at 2:16pm

Since Ivy could possibly be nominated in Featured, she'll win that while Karen wins Best Actress (Although Ivy should win Best Actress).

At the end we will find out that the whole thing was a mid-audition fantasy and the season will end with Karen finishing her audition, singing "Over the Rainbow."

broadway guy
#2915SMASH finale spoilers
Posted: 5/26/13 at 2:27pm

It would be LUDICROUS if Karen wins over Ivy. Ivy has the much harder part as Marilyn. Karen's role is hardly even a lead anyway. I saw BOTH performances and i personally would say Ivy should win the tony award. Im going to be SO PISSED if Karen wins over Ivy. Ivy worked so much harder for her part! Stupid Karen and her sleeping around to get with every director just to win a tony award! I frankly am appalled at the level she is willing to go too to get an award unlike ivy who is pregnant. How will ivy perform at the tonys if she is preggo? I am deeply enraged at that Karen whore.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#2916SMASH finale spoilers
Posted: 5/26/13 at 4:15pm

Wouldn't also be ludicrous for Ivy to win supporting actress for that godawful Liaisons that supposedly opened and closed in one week?

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#2917SMASH finale spoilers
Posted: 5/26/13 at 4:40pm

>> 3 hours to go for those of us on the East Coast.
Here in the Midwest, NBC is broadcasting the PGA Golf Tour.

Two weeks ago, they did the same thing, and the live commentaries afterward went waaaay over their scheduled time allotment, pushing all other programming off by nearly 30 minutes. I'm expecting the same scenario this week.

Please note that "PGA Golf Tour" is completely unworthy of the dreaded boldface
SMASH finale spoilers Updated On: 5/26/13 at 04:40 PM

Gothampc
#2918SMASH finale spoilers
Posted: 5/26/13 at 4:44pm

This is the way it's going to go down:

Different endings were filmed and a different ending will be shown in each section of the country.

On the East Coast, Audra McDonald will win
In the South, Ivy Lynn will win
In the Midwest, Karen Cartwright will win
On the West Coast, Lindsay Mendez will win

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2919SMASH finale spoilers
Posted: 5/26/13 at 5:04pm

Goodbye Ivy Lynn
Though I never knew you at all
You had the grace to hold yourself
While those around you crawled
They crawled out of the woodwork
And they whispered into your brain
They set you on the treadmill
And they made you change your name

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#2920Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/26/13 at 5:10pm

Marc Shaiman posted a fascinating take on Smash's songs -- with links to audio and video.

http://clients.terraceproductions.com/goodbye_norma_jean/

I'm fascinated by what happened with Smash from the various perspectives of those involved. Maybe a faceless NBC executive will share his perspective or maybe someday Spielberg will explain exactly what he saw in McPhee and didn't see in Hilty.

FindingNamo
#2921Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/26/13 at 7:08pm

My hunch: a reflection of his own aspbergersy self.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#2922Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/26/13 at 8:50pm

5 minutes to go!!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#2923Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/26/13 at 9:02pm

KAREN JUST WON THE OCC!!!!

Edit- Hit List practically swept the OCC.

Why wouldn't Jerry think they would at least be nominated for Best Book? I understand not winning, but a nomination seems like a shoo-in.

Karen knowing about Passing Strange gave her a lot of bonus points, but that show really wasn't sung through.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
Updated On: 5/26/13 at 09:02 PM

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#2924Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/26/13 at 9:08pm

I had the same reaction to her knowing about Passing Strange.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Videos