News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 22

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#525NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 12:30pm

Oh, they're totally heading to Home Depot when that show was over.

Back Row
#526NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 12:44pm

Reading all these comments and imagining the commenters in real life would inspire a killer sitcom. In that context, this thread is hilarious.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#527NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 1:30pm

Here's Rachel Shukert's recap:

http://www.vulture.com/2013/02/smash-recap-season-2-berkshires-brooklyn.html

With a choice excerpt:

Plus, there’s more news: Bravo is going to film the concert! And you know what that means — if Jimmy and Kyle get one of their songs on the show, one or both of them might be famous enough to serve Ramona Singer a glass of pinot grigio on Watch What Happens Live as she tells Andy Cohen all about her new line of faith-based laxatives. And that is what they call in the dramaturgical business “raising the stakes.”

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#528NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 1:47pm

I laughed so hard and so loud at 'Karen, wan little Lego person Karen' that I thought I was going to be fired.

For a second, I thought, 'Eh...no way can Shukert make last night's strangely inert episode funny.' Oh, but she did.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#529NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 2:00pm

The AV Club nails it.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

iluvtheatertrash
#530NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 2:12pm

Remember that time they wanted Jennifer Hudson to sing "I Could've Danced All Night"? I mean, really, now...

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#531NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 2:13pm

I would love to see Veronica Moore's Audrey. I'm sure it would be stiff and frightening and loud but I'd still love to see it.

SonofRobbieJ
#532NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 2:18pm

And what Broadway star gets a TV special. Is it 1972 up in here?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#533NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 2:19pm

The kind who lives in a world where being "Broadway's Sweetheart" means something.

SonofRobbieJ
#534NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 2:25pm

And being virginal and black is her thing.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#535NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 2:32pm

Audrey seems way too edgy a role for her to have played.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#536NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 2:35pm

If only Rachel Shukert were the show runner...

broadwayfever
#537NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 3:31pm

Does anybody know whi is directing this year?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#538NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 3:39pm

I liked the irony of the episode where they decide to tell Marilyn's story through the point of view of her men, that it's become clear that all the women on this show are also to be ruled by men.

OperaBwayLover Profile Photo
OperaBwayLover
#539NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 4:36pm

This clip from next week's episode was just posted:
Christian Borle makes the best faces

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#540NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 5:46pm

"I Can't Let Go" is #30 on the itunes Pop Charts and #105 on the regular chart.

random person 112
#541NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 6:34pm

I don't get the criticism of the use of "Broadways sweetheart". We do still have them even if we are ourselves don't call them that. The critics do and they may themselves in a snarky way like Veronica does. I think they were trying to convey how she was the Sutton Foster of the smash universe.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#542NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 7:01pm

"I burst into laughter when Jeremy said he may have just done some drugs. The whole scene was delectable camp."

Indeed it was! I kinda loved every minute of the scene. OK, particularly since apparently his character has a history of going on huge drug benders, I don't buy that he wasn't either still more high than whatever level of high he was meant to be playing, or else passed out somewhere--let alone that Karen would suggest he doesn't even go home, have a nap, shower and change and then show up, but instead go and pass out in the theatre which somehow will make the people respect him. Brilliant advice (but I know people never really get hungover or anything on TV show).

EricMontreal22
#543NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 7:17pm

"I don't get why anyone would care about Jimmy at all. He's the worst. Is Kyle in love with him or something? If so, that's gonna make Kyle the worst.

Iink that's the oh-so-stereotyped-and-subtle implication--that Kyle has always secretly been pining away for him. Between him beaming when Karen asked if they were boyfriends saying "Really? Does it look like we could be?! *puppy dog face*" to the Billy Joel song and his sudden jealousy over Karen sharing a piano bench... Maybe he'll go psycho in the next episode (the new headwriter is from Gossip Girl isn't he? Show us some of that Gossip Girl style soap opera then!)

"Too many new characters who are boring and they get to burst into song on top of it. I don't remember that many burst-into-song moments in day-to-day life last season, and certainly not from secondary characters. "

This is strange. I don't actually mind it, except that the previously mentioned new headwriter said in several interviews that he thought this show should not be like Glee and have people burst into song without an excuse (ie a rehearsal, or whatever) and complained they did that too much last year. And yet, he seems to be doing it even more often--like I said it doesn't bug me if they just commit to that and do it, I actually didn't mind the Billy Joel moment (I guess the "excuse" was meant to be that Kyle had his headphones on and sings loudly along when he does and umm that's one of Veronica's fave songs, or something.) But when they just half-ass it it comes off as odd.

"When Hudson announced last week that she wanted to do a concert I assumed this would be something her and Derek planned and worked on all season, or at least for a couple episodes. Instead the entire storyline is crammed into one episode. 24 hours before the concert Borle says they don't even know the songs she's singing???"

Totally agreed, Whizzer. I knew she was only on for a few episodes, but... And the whole mom subplot (I suppose set up by that song she sang in the premier) was cliche in concept anyway, but then to have it resolved so quickly--her mom won't let her try anything new, is conrolling, etc, then she sees her show and suddenly her smile lets us know she's let her daughter go and all is right in their world. Wha?

"Okay, the drug scene, everyone is making fun of is not the best but I have been in situations where these lines have been said. They were campy and bad in real life and they sounded the same on the screen. And I love Jeremy Jordan ....... "

Someone mentioned his sideburns again--he seemed to have slightly more this episode, maybe he's realized how weird he looks without them and is growing them back...

I've been in similar "drug situations" and while, yes, people say dumb things when coming down from drugs, I've never seen them return to the outside of their work--or sorta work in this case--and while still high, decide to go back to prove to their bosses they're responsible... Karen offers crappy advice (then again I suppose we're meant to think she's a naive about drugs and thought his mention of Coke was the drink--You know, she IS from Iowa).

"I Can't Let Go" was Shaiman/Whittman, right, and not one of the new composers working on the Hit List songs? It was very meh for me.

...and yet, I think it was a marked improvement over last week. Let's see if NBC keeps next week's on schedule (they are out of February Sweeps so ratings are slightly less important...).

EricMontreal22
#544NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 7:29pm

...And yeah, I thought the bad Fosse pastiche (parody?) was going to be Air-Rotica as well, the introductory vamp was exactly the same as Ralph Burns' in ATJ.

Borstalboy, thanks so much for posting that AV Club link! (http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-song,93010/) While I probably should just not bother with any non clever, comic reviews of the episode (which are hard not to read and laugh with), it's nice to see a serious review that is precisely spot on. I think the critic makes a great point that it's clear that Safran (? the new headwriter) is making an effort to make episodes more thematically consistant, use songs that always have some comment on the character and action, etc, but his executon is piss poor in every single way explained there.

beautywickedlover
#545NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 7:55pm

"And how I am I supposed to like the Jimmy character? Has he ever had a likable moment? (although Jeremy Jordan has a nice belt)"

That has always been one of the problems with the program. They are too many unlikable characters and hardly anyone to get behind and root for.

beensince1987 Profile Photo
beensince1987
#546NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 8:05pm

Just finished watching last night's episode...

Is there any chance they would make Ellis a hero saving Eileen from Jerry with all correspondences between him and Jerry? He made check to "Ellis something".
I don't remember the spoiler pics for "BOMB-HELL" who the producer was.

Updated On: 2/27/13 at 08:05 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#547NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 9:14pm

No, because when Eileen fired him he vowed revenge on her.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#548NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 11:03pm

anyone know what the ratings were for last night's episode??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

beensince1987 Profile Photo
beensince1987
#549NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 11:17pm

"SPOILERS"

Went back to see THE pic.

It says "Eileen Rand Presents" and Jerry's name is nowhere. So somehow she gets the show back.

http://www.smashtheseries.com/a-bombshell-exclusive-who-will-be-playing-marilyn-spoiler-picture/smash-bombshell-advertisement-season-2-001/

Updated On: 2/27/13 at 11:17 PM

Videos